Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH NETWORK® UNVEILS BIGGEST HIGH DEFINITION UPGRADE IN TV HISTORY

Includes Industry’s First High Definition Programming Offered in 1080p and Up To 150 National HD Channels

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – July 31, 2008 – DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) today set the bar for the next-generation HD standard by becoming the first in the pay-TV industry to offer high definition programming in 1080p, the highest and best HD resolution available.

This new functionality is part of DISH Network’s latest and unprecedented expansion in HD services, which includes the rollout of TurboHD, the industry’s first 100 percent, all-HD suite of programming packages. As previously announced, DISH Network will also launch 17 new national HD channels tomorrow, surpassing its goal of reaching 100 national HD channels five months ahead of schedule. DISH Network now offers up to 114 national HD channels and plans to expand that line-up to 150 channels by the end of 2008, made possible by the recent launch of Echo XI, the most powerful satellite in the company’s fleet.

“Over the years, DISH Network has maintained a very competitive HD offering in the marketplace, providing customers with a premium HD product including the best technology, signal and experience – at the best value – that no other pay-TV provider can come close to matching. Our latest system upgrade coupled with the introduction of TurboHD further strengthens our position as the leader in digital television and high definition television,” said Charlie Ergen, Chairman, CEO and President of DISH Network. “We know that once consumers start watching their favorite TV shows in HD, their viewing habits change and their preference switches to all-HD programming. Only DISH Network gives them that option, all for an industry-low price of $24.99 per month.”

DISH Network’s new HD services are supported by a proprietary “turbo-charged” system upgrade that, starting August 1, is being rolled out to all MPEG-4 HD DVR receivers. The upgrade activates a unique feature of the set-top boxes, improving the current standard of HD delivery used by pay-TV providers such as the ability to output 1080p programming. By early August, all DISH Network customers with MPEG-4 HD DVR receivers will have the only set-top boxes in the nation enabled to display 1080p content, allowing them to maximize the full potential of their 1080p-compatible HDTV sets.

To celebrate this new era in the HD viewing experience, DISH Network is offering subscribers a special deal in August to enjoy the unparalleled picture and sound of 1080p HD programming. Starting August 1, the recent blockbuster “I Am Legend” starring Will Smith will be available in 1080p resolution – same as Blu-Ray® Disc quality – only on DISH Network’s VOD service, DISH On Demand, at a discounted price. Subscribers may order the movie on DISH Network Channel 501. This marks the first time in history a pay-TV provider offers movies in 1080p, the highest resolution format available for HD video enthusiasts today.

Consumers can sign up for the best HD programming and service in the industry with DISH Network’s new TurboHD programming packages, the only all-HD packages on the market, starting at $24.99 per month. TurboHD is available in three separate tiers and includes DISH Network’s award-winning and industry-leading HD technology, advanced equipment enabled to display 1080p programming, and the most-watched HD channels that may be viewed on any TV – analog, digital or HD.

Current DISH Network customers with MPEG-4 HD DVR receivers are being automatically upgraded and will have their systems “turbo-charged” by early August with all the features and benefits of TurboHD. DISH Network customers looking to add the industry’s best HD experience can get a “turbo-charged” HD package for as little as $10 more per month.

The latest national HD channels added to DISH Network’s programming line-up are: ActionMax HD (DISH Network Ch. 313), CBS College Sports HD (Ch. 152), Lifetime HD (Ch. 108), Lifetime Movie Network HD (Ch. 109), Planet Green HD (Ch. 194), Encore HD (Ch. 340), HBO 2 HD (Ch. 301), HBO Comedy HD (Ch. 307), HBO Family HD (Ch. 305), HBO Latino HD (Ch. 309), HBO Signature HD (Ch. 302), HBO West HD (Ch. 303), HBO Zone HD (Ch. 308), Starz Comedy HD (Ch. 354), Starz Edge HD (Ch. 352), Starz Kids & Family HD (Ch. 356), Starz West HD (Ch. 351).
For more information about DISH Network’s 1080p programming, new HD channels and TurboHD system and packages, visit http://www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

# # #
DISH Network Corporation
DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), the nation’s third largest pay-TV provider and the leader in digital television, provides more than 13.815 million satellite TV customers with industry-leading customer satisfaction which has surpassed major cable TV providers for eight consecutive years. DISH Network also provides customers with award-winning HD and DVR technology including the ViP722™ HD DVR, which received the Editors’ Choice awards from both CNET and PC Magazine. In addition, subscribers enjoy access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet service, and a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry. DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit http://www.dishnetwork.com/aboutus or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.

Media Contact:
Francie Bauer, 720.514.5351, press@echostar.com

Last edited:
Whoa. Good job in keeping this under wraps Dish!

Kudos to you, and this is going to be a big + for them in getting/keeping customers!

Nice suprise for us dish Subs!

except the parts about it being rolled out to EVERYONE - NOW, and a firm # being put on new HD by the end of the year.

wow! I love waking up to good news. I think about the only thing I'm left wanting is Chiller in HD, and I don't think that's even launched yet.

I am left with the question however of: Will this be 1920x1080p, or some 1080p lite? 1400x1080p, them spit out from the player @ 1920x1080p?

For me the big news is that all 622's and 722's will be getting a software update to support 1080p output and the big 150 channel count.

As you might remember earlier in the week DirecTV announced that they would have 130 HD channels by the end of the year.

This game of leapfrog by both companies means MORE HD FOR EVERYONE no matter who is your satellite provider. This is a great thing for all satellite consumers!

As you might remember earlier in the week DirecTV announced that they would have 130 HD channels by the end of the year.

This game of leapfrog by both companies means MORE HD FOR EVERYONE no matter who is your satellite provider. This is a great thing for all satellite consumers!

Scott you may not have seen it but Jason got clarification from D* that the 130 will be by 8/14.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-hd-leader-130-hd-channels-7.html#post1464622

I got a response to my clarification question, wanting to be sure they intend to have 130 HD by Aug 14:

Quote:
Safe to say we should have 130 on Aug 14.

Essentially, after the RSN error, I tried to read too much into the press release

That should be solid indication that there will be a handful of national channels beyond what was indicated in the press release.

95 now, add 12 RSNs, 2 nationals, and a few PPVs (we'll say 6) = 115

Still upwards of 15 or so channels that are not named yet.

So that still gives room for D* to hit the 150 number by the end of the year.

I agree that this is a great time to be a customer of either D* or E*, but not so good if you're a cable customer. I just don't see how cable will keep up with either. Both will offer 150 HD channels and 1080p service in one form or another.

Yep, the 2 big surprises are our current MPEG4 Boxes taking 1080p (not that I care as I have a 720p TV), and the claim they will match the Directv total of 150 by year end. (Although I'm not so sure of that, given they claim in this press release to have 114. What kind of math are they using?)

Hopefully they will eventually offer some of this HD on demand stuff free.

There is no doubt. I expect 150 to be the magic number for BOTH COMPANIES by the end of the year.

Its a great time to be a HD fan and a satellite subscriber. :D :D

Oh, another thought (hopefully not too pessimistic): Could this be a bad sign for the 2Q earnings report coming out next week. Some good news to soften the blow?

Oh, another thought (hopefully not too pessimistic): Could this be a bad sign for the 2Q earnings report coming out next week. Some good news to soften the blow?

well if I knew it was going to bad wouldn't you want this news after the "numbers"? as this will be old news at that point? People in wallstreet have a very short memory LOL

Ok, so the big news is that Dish added Lifetime and Planet Green. We knew everything else.

Ahh, the fickle masses. (Just kidding, Darren).

This is good news for DISH customers with 1080p sets and MPEG-4 HD DVRs. Although, I expect most won't really be able to tell much of a difference. The allusion that the DISH PPV "I Am Legend" and the Blu-ray version will be of similar quality is a nice spin, but I doubt it. There's a lot to be said for compression. But I will be doing an A/B comparison as I'm sure many will.

I, by no means, intend to slight DISH for this change and the resulting spin. I am certainly happy about it. I just imagine that it will not be as earth-shattering as some current HD customers expect.

I wonder if 1080p will be available over component as well as HDMI, or HDMI only (my set accepts 1080p over component, too).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)