Dish Network reports 2013 results

Wonder where the calls centers are located?

Customer call center and general offices, Pine Brook, New Jersey

DISH
X

Customer call center and general offices, Tulsa, Oklahoma

DISH
X

Customer call center, Alvin, Texas

DISH
X

Customer call center, Bluefield, West Virginia

DISH
X

Customer call center, Christiansburg, Virginia

DISH
X

Customer call center, College Point, New York

DISH
X

Customer call center, Harlingen, Texas

DISH
X

Customer call center, Hilliard, Ohio

DISH
X

Customer call center, Littleton, Colorado

DISH
X

Customer call center, Phoenix, Arizona

DISH
X

Customer call center, Thornton, Colorado

DISH
X

Customer call, warehouse, service, and remanufacturing center, El Paso, Texas

They just said they will have Disney news before next conf call.

Then the deal is done. Unless they are going to reveal something about negotiations all of a sudden, or start dissing Disney, the news has to be what the new deal means. (New HD, SEC, free money, peace on earth, etc...)

Thats the last Earnings call. not the one that just finished 4 seconds ago. :)

Thanks Scott I got E-Mail about transcript on earnings call today just a few minutes before posting it and didn't pay attention to the date of earnings call I posted Duhhh :loco::behindsofa::shh :)

Last edited:
Interesting comments on AutoHop.

Tuna N. Amobi - S&P Capital IQ Equity ResearchThat's helpful. Just to -- another follow-up question, if you don't mind. I wanted to clarify on your philosophy about AutoHop compensation. There seems to be a suggestion, Charlie, that you guys are now willing to somehow compensate big broadcasters for that, sounds like a radical change in your philosophy. So my question is if that premise is correct, a, does that open up the door for other broadcasters to request the same? And b, how do you strike the economics from that kind of arrangement?
Charles W. Ergen - Co-Founder and ChairmanYes, this is Charlie. I think maybe the press has got this wrong. But we understand that broadcasters have a dual revenue stream, right? And advertising is an important part of what they do, and without advertising, the consumer would pay more or we would pay more. So it's -- but we also understand that the reality is customers skip commercials, right? And one of the reasons consumers skip commercials is because the commercial is not important to them, right? So if you're a 15-year-old girl, you may not be looking at a Mercedes-Benz commercial with the idea of buying a Mercedes-Benz, right? You might be looking for something else. So what we really said is -- and we really got no traction with broadcasters about trying to change the model to make commercials more meaningful to consumers, which we think is more money for everybody. The Hopper technology allows us to do that, and therefore -- and we also understand consumers skip commercials so we made it easier for them. But we've also been in dialogue with all the broadcasters that says, really, we believe there's more money involved here, you either have customers skip commercials on everybody's platform, including ours, or we can start putting more targeted advertising, that may be less advertising but more targeted advertising that makes more sense. And I've always thought the Hulu model was a pretty good one, where if you watch something the next day, you can watch it, but there's maybe 2 or 3 minutes of commercials instead of 15 or 18 minutes of commercials. And so -- and we know how to target that. So that's the kind of dialogue that we think is interesting where it's a positive for broadcasters, positive consumers and a positive for us. And so that's the dialogue that I think that we are engaged in and are willing to be engaged in. And perhaps we didn't go about it exactly right the way we introduced the Hopper, and in hindsight, I might have done that a different way. But we have to think about consumers. We are in a competitive environment, and we have to think about the total experience. So I don't think commercial skipping is going to go away.

Sure sounds like Charlie is sucking wind on the Hopper rollout. Says he maybe should have thought more and did it differently. Shades of a settlement with the content providers

I haven't owned any Dish or Echostar stock for a couple years but I did see the Reuter's ticker on this today. The overall summary they had in the Reuters story was that Dish reported 38% jump in Q4 profits due to large increases in current customer billings and rates for existing services. But, there were only 8000 added subscribers for the quarter, way down from Q4 a year ago.

This tells me that many of you Dish fans have upgraded your service to include the larger packages and added higher monthly costs for Hopper and Hopper related upgrades. Personally, I have been trying real hard to reduce my monthly billing but Dish's latest rate hike has really cost me a lot. I was paying $110 per month and after the rate increases my latest Bill is $132. So I dropped Showtime to get it back down. If Dish is reporting a 38% increase then many of you must be experiencing bills of $138 per month vs last year of $100. That level of increase is similar to what many got with their health insurance increase due to the new laws on mandatory minimums.

I think I have not experienced the 38% increase because I never upgraded to Hopper. I keep the VIP 722K. When I looked into Hopper the cost was significantly higher than VIP722.

I do recognize that the 38% increase is an aggregate gain and not related to any single part of the business. They could have reduced overhead as part of that figure too but raising rates and keeping customers is good bragging rights for stockholder's ears, you'd think. Regardless, the stockholders spoke with a 4% sell off of $2 a share as the earnings call progressed this afternoon. Better indicator will be Monday and Tuesday when investors have time to digest beyond their initial reaction.

I have no plans to get into buying Dish or DTV or any cable stocks at this time.

Yep sucking wind sounds about right.At this point,I'm not going to be surprised if we see more increases before the year is out.Someone will have to foot the bill for autohop and an agreement with Disney.

Sure sounds like Charlie is sucking wind on the Hopper rollout. Says he maybe should have thought more and did it differently. Shades of a settlement with the content providers

I was in the TV ad business for 20 years and saw a lot of changes in the advertising business. We found as viewers were enabled in recording shows with their VCR's they would and then FF through commercials. This resulted in a reduction of the conversion rates from impressions to actual sales. It was believed that TV ads, particularly the 30 second spot was becoming less effective. The industry countered with lower ad costs and increased numbers of commercials which exacerbated the problem and more people began to record shows for later viewing. When TIVO technology hit there was an explosion of commercial skipping and we scrambled to find a way to attract clients. Clients were jumping to radio with lower production costs and lower cost per conversion to sales. We began to do long form advertising, the half hour TV show that was all commercial. It worked and found that viewers of these shows were genuinely interested in programs about products and services, especially on their local level but we also did national shows. We were big in 2004 on the East Coast while Guthy Rinker was big on the West coast and national. WE had three networks- TV-Shopper, FYI TV Network, and Best of the Web TV Network. Today, long form is ubiquitous and popularity is only paralleled by the shopping channels like QVC and Home Shopping Network.

What the long form ad does is reduce the interruption to other programming people want to watch with programming they don't want to watch. If they do want to see a program, say about apartments for rent in the area, they can tune into the Apartment Channel, which was one of my other shows that aired in South Florida for 2 years. If they wanted to watch a show about Budweiser Beer they could tune into a channel and see that half hour non interrupted program in the schedule on Beer and get indoctrinated about Budweiser. I don't know if all these concepts would work for all but they sure were a success for our clients as long as these clients were a good business to begin with. Basically, people will watch programs about products and services as long as the program is engaging, entertaining and educational, the 3 E's as we called it. The sell is subtle and will happen. the cost per sale is lower than the 30 second spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)