DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2011 Financial Results

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2011 Financial Results

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) today reported total revenue of $3.22 billion for the quarter ended March 31, 2011, a 5.5 percent increase compared with $3.06 billion for the corresponding period in 2010.

(Logo: Login)

Net income attributable to common shareholders totaled $549 million for the quarter ended March 31, 2011, compared with $231 million during the corresponding period in 2010. Diluted earnings per share were $1.22 for the quarter ended March 31, 2011, compared with $0.52 during the corresponding period in 2010.

DISH Network gained approximately 58,000 net subscribers during the quarter ended March 31, 2011, ending the quarter with approximately 14.191 million subscribers.

Detailed financial data and other information are available in DISH Network's Form 10-Q for the quarterly period ended March 31, 2011, filed today with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

DISH Network will host its first quarter 2011 financial results conference call today at noon ET. The dial-in number is (800) 616-6729.

More profits than last year at this time and an addition of 58,000 subs. All in all a positive thing for DISH. Now add the Tivo settlement + the Blockbuster addition and DISH's future looks a little brighter now. Now on to the Voom settlement.

Based on this info, I don't see Charlie backing down on the increase in hardware fees. The increase in net income and subs might be viewed by his mgmt team as vindication that raising fees and package costs are not negatively impacting income or sub growth.

But but but, Bob H swore that there would be a drop in subscribers. I don't understand how this could be possible... They raised fees and Bob left so it has to mean that everyone else would do the same thing.... :rolleyes:

Its a good day to be a dish shareholder :)

Swanni at Tv predictions is saying that since T-mobile and Att are merging there is nothing stopping DISH and DIRECTV from doing the same. Now granted Swanni predicts there will be a DISH /DIRECTV merger every single year, but what if he is right ? On the other hand , I am also reading in other posts that CHarlie is moving to offer ALL sports and regional sports networks ala carte for a price. No more including the sports networks in the basic programming packs so that he can keep costs low and still compete with cable . Now that would be very very cool if Charlie could pull that one off. I would love to save some money off my bill every month since I do NOT watch any sports channels.

How long before a post translating a net gain of 58,000 is actually a horrible loss for Dish and an indication they are going under? ;)

Or did I miss one already out there?

MikeD-C05 said:
Swanni at Tv predictions is saying that since T-mobile and Att are merging there is nothing stopping DISH and DIRECTV from doing the same. Now granted Swanni predicts there will be a DISH /DIRECTV merger every single year, but what if he is right ? On the other hand , I am also reading in other posts that CHarlie is moving to offer ALL sports and regional sports networks ala carte for a price. No more including the sports networks in the basic programming packs so that he can keep costs low and still compete with cable . Now that would be very very cool if Charlie could pull that one off. I would love to save some money off my bill every month since I do NOT watch any sports channels.

I think if they did that full time HD RSN would have more steam in a separate package

Hmmm... I don't know. He can probably make the RSNs a la carte for the smaller packages like the DISH America packs and AT 120 but I think the ESPN channels will still be standard. And here's a rumor for you. When the contract with ESPN comes up, Disney is going to ask for a 100% increase and if that doesn't work, then Disney will use the Disney channel as leverage. Inside Charlie's Brain - what's he planning? - DBSTalk.Com

I think if they did that full time HD RSN would have more steam in a separate package

I think you are right and that may be why DISH hasn't provided full time rsns up to now. He only wants to do it for a separate monthly price from the regular top programming packs. If DISH does this it will be very successful as a model that other providers might want to follow if they want to compete. Imagine if he put ALL sports channels into a separate pack you can add to your programming or leave out. It would probably reduce your regular programming pack by $5.00- $10.00 a month for a separate sports pack. This might be the first step in doing all Ala-carte programming packs like Canada does now: Family/children programming pack/Variety pack/Locals pack/ News pack etc.

I think you are right and that may be why DISH hasn't provided full time rsns up to now. He only wants to do it for a separate monthly price from the regular top programming packs. If DISH does this it will be very successful as a model that other providers might want to follow if they want to compete. Imagine if he put ALL sports channels into a separate pack you can add to your programming or leave out. It would probably reduce your regular programming pack by $5.00- $10.00 a month for a separate sports pack. This might be the first step in doing all Ala-carte programming packs like Canada does now: Family/children programming pack/Variety pack/Locals pack/ News pack etc.
Much as I'd like it, that will never happen because of Disney, Time Warner, Fox, etc. programming cartels. If this happens soon, great, but when? I don't believe Swanni rumor.

How so? Bandwidth is not determined by the number of subs, but the number channels

Maybe "more steam" was not a good choice of words, If it did go ala carte, I would want it as s sub to be full time HD RSN

Last edited:
Maybe "more steam" was not a good choice of words, If it did go ala carte, I would want it as s sub to be full time HD RSN
I think I understand. You would only pay for it separately if it were in HD full time. Whereas being part of a basic package, people will tolerate it being in HD part time. Being a la cart may force Dish to put it in HD full time in order to get more people to sign up with it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)