DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2015 Financial Results

The explanation for higher revenues with somewhat lower subs is this. A few years ago Charlie made it clear they were not as interested in keeping subs who do not pay and are willing to make no overtures to keep them. When times are tuff business can not afford to carry many customers who do not pay or it takes work to get them to pay.
So that leaves DISH trying harder to keep those who do pay and probably particularly those long time subscribers who pay. I think that's exactly why MikeD-C05 got the discounts he got. And it's one reason I have stayed with DISH nearly as long as he has. And I'm guessing many are like myself who get more than the core package, like HBO and BB where profits are higher.

Well you got that right on me paying on time. I have 3 DISH accounts in my name for my parents , aunt and my own family. I am on credit card auto pay and paperless billing. I often pay early for all 3 ahead of auto pay ,because I get my pension check in by the 2nd to last business day of the month. I have NEVER been late on any of my bills with DISH and I have excellent credit rating in the low 800s with the 3 credit reporting bureaus. I think that having a great payment record and excellent credit ratings helps get you the best deals with not only DISH ,but auto/home insurance too. Every time my credit rating goes up , I get better deals with Progressive auto insurance when it comes to renewal time. I am paying less this year than I did last year due to that alone. I also haven't had any accidents. KNOCK ON WOOD! :amen

Reactions: Tampa8
I dont understand how you can expect to have churn, earn a bigger profit off of existing customers and expect to stay in business. People are eventually going to jump ship and are with the disputes. With that said, if you are making more off of existing subs, that means it's either because they are paying more because you are charging more and making more of a profit, OR your customer base is so happy that they staying and beyond the investment point. (unlikely, but there is a percentage that will fall in to this category.)

With DirecTV gaining subs and Dish loosing subs, it appears to me that DirecTV is doing something right where as Dish isnt doing something right. This is my opinion.

Reactions: Troch77
I dont understand how you can expect to have churn, earn a bigger profit off of existing customers and expect to stay in business. People are eventually going to jump ship and are with the disputes. With that said, if you are making more off of existing subs, that means it's either because they are paying more because you are charging more and making more of a profit, OR your customer base is so happy that they staying and beyond the investment point. (unlikely, but there is a percentage that will fall in to this category.)

With DirecTV gaining subs and Dish loosing subs, it appears to me that DirecTV is doing something right where as Dish isnt doing something right. This is my opinion.

I agree . Something isn't right about why DIRECTV is adding subs and DISH is losing them for so long now. But there is also those subs who churn and then get the best deals with the competition, and then after their new sub deals are over ,they churn back like yo-yos. Then there is that ever increasing group of subs who cut the cord and the cord nevers. The newer generation has no need for the current sat/cable model that makes all of us endure forced bundeling. So every year the newer groups of young adults is not taking the bait and using pay tv. The older generations are literally dieing out each day as we speak and they sure don't need pay tv anymore.

There is also the never ending price hikes and programming disputes that cause churn from DISH to the competition. Add to that all the subs ,who don't pay their bills on time and that DISH drops, and you can see why they are losing subs. As for profits , they say repeatedly in articles about these earnings, that price hikes due to increased yearly programming pricing, are way they continue to make higher average price per sub -even while overall subs drop. That doesn't even include all the money DISH makes from their FEES that they create and charge because they can. They vary from as low as $7.00 dvr fee to $12.00 dvr fee. Additional receiver fees are by class of receivers and they can be $7.00 to as high as $17.00 for a dual tuner receiver.

I've been saying since 2010, when they came out with the complicated receiver class additional receiver fee structure, that DISH needs to drop down the price of their fees and consolidate them to as few as necessary. The programming is still cheaper than DIRECTV and cable , but not by more than $10.00. But when you add the DISH fees back in on top of the programming , then DISH can be quite higher -especially if you have a family and multiple receivers . Not so much if you are a single receiver owner and no dvr fee. But I am sure that this won't happen.

It is almost like we are on the DISH Titanic and we are in slow motion watching the ship hit the iceberg and then sink. I hope that Charlie will think about doing something that attracts subs and lets DISH grow for a change, like dropping the price on the fees ,rather than just keep making profits on an ever decreasing number of subs. I mean 134,000 subs lost in 3 months of this year is ridiculous. How many years has DISH been at or around 13 -14 million subs now? I can't remember DISH growing since the days of the NO DVR FEEs for the 500/501/721/921pvrs. Back then they added like 2 million subs in like a year ,because they charged nothing for a pvr fee and DIRECTV used to charge like $9.50 a month and that was early in the last decade. It might behoove old Charlie to rethink some of these fees, in order to attract some new subs , or there might not be much of a future for DISH. Making profits on fewer base of subs won't beat making profits off of a larger growing group of subs.

I just read that 13.5 million new homes were sold last year, that alone shows there is no more growth in TV/video subs anymore and that means cord cutting/cord never is true.

In the next 2-3 years Dish and maybe DirecTV ( if AT&T deal goes bad) are going to have major trouble ( the main reason I think DirecTV gained 60,000 is those came from Dish during the fee battles), cable is safe because they have Broadband.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I just read that 13.5 million new homes were sold last year, that alone shows there is no more growth in TV/video subs anymore and that means cord cutting/cord never is true.

In the next 2-3 years Dish and maybe DirecTV ( if AT&T deal goes bad) are going to have major trouble ( the main reason I think DirecTV gained 60,000 is those came from Dish during the fee battles), cable is safe because they have Broadband.
While 13.5 million new homes may have been sold doesn't mean they never had tv service prior to their purchase.
Most bring their services to their new homes.

And I agree Directv will eventually start to decline, as their prices are climbing fairly quickly.

While 13.5 million new homes may have been sold doesn't mean they never had tv service prior to their purchase.
Most bring their services to their new homes.

And I agree Directv will eventually start to decline, as their prices are climbing fairly quickly.

But that means there should be growth then, if they moved into new homes, someone has to move into their old homes or Apartment, they just do not go away when someone moves into a new home.

http://www.fiercecable.com/tags/subscriber-numbers?page=1

The 13 largest pay-TV operators lost 125,000 subscribers in 2014, up from 95,000 in 2013, according to new data released Tuesday by Leichtman Research Group.

But that means there should be growth then, if they moved into new homes, someone has to move into their old homes or Apartment, they just do not go away when someone moves into a new home.
Some do just go away, others are inhabited by those who chose not to or cannot afford to subscribe. Just because there were 13 mill new homes sold does not mean there are all of a sudden 13 mill new subscribers. Any economy would love that kind of magic.

Some do just go away, others are inhabited by those who chose not to or cannot afford to subscribe. Just because there were 13 mill new homes sold does not mean there are all of a sudden 13 mill new subscribers. Any economy would love that kind of magic.

I would guess that those older homes/apartments that do go away is a very low number.

Still does not change the fact that TV/Video via Cable/Sat. does not have any growth and will continue to decline.

New homes , doesn't mean new subscribers, it's just a cycle.
People move all the time, it doesn't mean they aren't currently subscribed to pay TV.
We aren't talking about 18 year old moving into a brand new home and now getting brand new tv services.

One thing I have learned they (dish) will hold a non-pay disconnect against you for a very long time.

Not talking the ones where you forget to pay your bill and your service is back on in an hour. But the ones where they shut you off and your service is off for a few weeks because you don't have the money to turn it back on again

New homes , doesn't mean new subscribers, it's just a cycle.
People move all the time, it doesn't mean they aren't currently subscribed to pay TV.
We aren't talking about 18 year old moving into a brand new home and now getting brand new tv services.

Yes it does, it is because of population growth, we don't keep building homes because someone just wants to buy a new house, someone moves into the old home, they just do not stay vacant.

My example, bought my first house at 22, bought my second house at 33, sold my first house to another younger person.

Earning more money with fewer subs is pure math. Either you are taking more in off of those fewer subscribers or you are spending less. My guess is that its a little bit of both. Nickel and dime your existing customer's with an additional $1 for a late fee, or a few bucks more for an Everything Pack, or a buck or two more for PPV. Let's not forget that Dish has invested a lot in Smart Home Services that add to their bottom line. Also, a common tactic that Dish Network uses is to finagle their required goals for contractors in order to continue doing business with them or to continue getting a certain level of compensation. Moving those required numbers up or down a percentage point or two can easily save them millions if contractors aren't able to attain them. And maybe that's why we're seeing fewer Dish Network ads because they are spending less on them.

[QUOTE="bruce, post: 3671476, member: 1235"Cable is safe because they have Broadband.[/QUOTE]

That may be true commercially (for now), but on the residential side, that is changing. I've seen that breaking point with so many households where a bill reaches in the high $100's/low $200's where they just can't take anymore increases coupled with a bluff from cable companies that you need high speed broadband more than your $200+/mo. Although Hughesnet, Exede, Verizon Homefusion, and DSL are all slower options, people are still deciding against the high bills. Google Fiber is hitting them directly in this field. Faster speeds and lower bills. Google has the cash, the know-how, and eager potential clients that want another option besides the cable companies.

Google Fiber is a blip on the radar right now, they are just not in enough big metro areas to worry the big cable guys.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/eliseac...le-fiber-could-reach-8-million-homes-by-2022/

Comcast just added 400,000 new broadband subs only in first quarter 2015.

And I have noticed, any time Google comes into a area that already has Comcast/Time Warner/ Uverse/etc they just up their service and price to match Google Fiber.

Yes it does, it is because of population growth, we don't keep building homes because someone just wants to buy a new house
Yes, Bruce, we do. Go take a drive sometimes and see how many for sale signs you see. Many people want to build new, up to date homes as opposed to expensive remodeling. Or, they want to move to new of better neighborhoods for their families. I don't know how you came about your 1 to 1 replacement theory. Again, that would be some kind of mojo magic!!! (or a lot of cloning).

Reactions: ChadT41
Yes, Bruce, we do. Go take a drive sometimes and see how many for sale signs you see. Many people want to build new, up to date homes as opposed to expensive remodeling. Or, they want to move to new of better neighborhoods for their families. I don't know how you came about your 1 to 1 replacement theory. Again, that would be some kind of mojo magic!!! (or a lot of cloning).

Bruce is correct. There are more young folks moving out of Mom and Dad's home and looking for housing of their own than there are new homes being built.

There are lot's of For Sale signs out there, and most of them are still occupied. I've not known many people in my long life who could afford to build a new home without selling the old one, whether they sell first or shortly after moving out.

No mojo magic, just population growth. Young folks moving out generally move into lower priced used housing.

There is also the never ending price hikes and programming disputes that cause churn from DISH to the competition.
Yup. As Directv's slogan goes, "We have raised prices in 5 years."

I've been saying since 2010, when they came out with the complicated receiver class additional receiver fee structure, that DISH needs to drop down the price of their fees and consolidate them to as few as necessary. The programming is still cheaper than DIRECTV and cable , but not by more than $10.00. But when you add the DISH fees back in on top of the programming , then DISH can be quite higher -especially if you have a family and multiple receivers .
*rolls eyes*
Not so much if you are a single receiver owner and no dvr fee.
Not so much as in, you save a good deal with Dish if you have a single receiver, including the dual tuner 722k.

It is almost like we are on the DISH Titanic and we are in slow motion watching the ship hit the iceberg and then sink.
More like Groundhog Day where you keep saying Dish is going down because of fees that no other company apparently charges.

Bruce is correct. There are more young folks moving out of Mom and Dad's home and looking for housing of their own than there are new homes being built.

There are lot's of For Sale signs out there, and most of them are still occupied. I've not known many people in my long life who could afford to build a new home without selling the old one, whether they sell first or shortly after moving out.

No mojo magic, just population growth. Young folks moving out generally move into lower priced used housing.
People are also dying too.
It's not like the world's overall population in increasing at such a rate that the USA add 13 million Net people every year with no deaths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts