DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2010 Financial Results

Yes its the equipment. I had both DIRECTV and DISH and my wife didn't like the DIRECTV equipment at all.

For me he programming between the two is the same as I only watch 4 channels... Science Channel, Discovery Channel, USA Network and Food Network.

Now that Ive had an HR 24 for a few weeks, I have to say, I'm really impressed with D*'s equipment. If you get an HR24 you will have zero issues. This puppy is very quick. I just wish they would redesign the UI a bit to polish it up like dish's but over all its good.

I'm glad that people are starting to notice what I noticed about two months ago! I too was surprised at the subloss for last quarter. We all can agree that dish needs to change. Its times like these that I wish I could just jump in and steer the ship back on chorse. I know what its like to be the sub behind the tv (Mr. Couch Potato) and be very frusterated when you cant watch a game in HD becuase dish doesnt want to air it. Or the sub who's pissed because charlie cant stop a lawsuite to save his life. I know what I would do, and given 6 months to a year, I could have dish the number one pay tv satellite provider, given an open check book. But that wouldnt be charlie to do that so, It will never happen! :D

Dish Network Looses Subscribers: Shares Fall

Shares fell 10 percent to $18.75 in morning trade on NASDAQ, overshadowing the company's better-than-expected quarterly earnings.
Dish, the No. 2 U.S. satellite operator, said it lost a net 19,000 subscribers in the quarter, ending the period with about 14.3 million subscribers. A year earlier it had a net gain of 26,000 subscribers.

See the article at: Dish Network loses subscribers, shares fall | Reuters

Might have something to do with sudden rate increases and poor customer service, too.

Well, that is what they get for raising the receiver fees and taking away the phone line or Internet connection credit. They should really try to bring back the original receiver fees and phone line credits. Otherwise, I think they will see a continuing trend since the loyalty credits recently went away. Times are not the best, and when people begin to notice the increased bill, they will probably follow in leaving. Then, it did not help matters when they announced earlier in the year, they were not going up on packages while other were because they did go up $2/month on AT200 and AT250. Likewise, they increased a la carte channels or packages.

Well, that is what they get for raising the receiver fees and taking away the phone line or Internet connection credit. They should really try to bring back the original receiver fees and phone line credits. Otherwise, I think they will see a continuing trend since the loyalty credits recently went away. Times are not the best, and when people begin to notice the increased bill, they will probably follow in leaving. Then, it did not help matters when they announced earlier in the year, they were not going up on packages while other were because they did go up $2/month on AT200 and AT250. Likewise, they increased a la carte channels or packages.

They also need to start considering a different pricing structure for those of us who OWN our equipment. All three of our VIP 722K receivers are OWNED. We have always owned our equipment, yet we get hit with the same fees that everyone else gets for leased equipment.

We're working on our retirement budget this year. Retirement is only 6 years away, and everything we spend, both now, and projected for the future, in in the spreadsheet. The Dish line looks ridiculous compared to other expenses.

All they need to do is go back to the way they used to do and the way Direct still does it, $5 for each additional solo receiver/DVR. Since Dish has Duo receivers/DVRs, they may have a SLIGHTLY higher fee for a duo, say about $7 (still less than two additional solos).

It really is hard for a company to lower prices (i.e. give up what they think is income). But, in this case I would think that Dish could see what is happening. They have to have statistics generated daily on what type of subs they are losing and what type of subs are staying/adding.

Why is it that Dish's lower package price (than DIRECTV) not attracting consumers? Perhaps the word has gotten out that it is only good for 1 HD and 1 SD TV. It is very easy now to exceed DIRECTV's prices with HDTVs. The market has really shifted and SD TVs are going out fast. 2 612s on the account is $10/month extra for the second TV, DIRECTV is $5 more, already the monthly price advantage of Dish is almost consumed. Another TV and DIRECTV is the same or less.

I don't think they need to lower the fees per se. What they need to do is 1) drop the fees for owned recievers (and maybe raise the cost for new recievers), and 2) develop a true MRV solution so very few would require multiple HD DVRs.

But I suspect the people who are effected by the fees are few and far between. I think it is the relatively rare customer who has more than 1 622/722/922.

As may be, but the 625 has the same $17 fee that the vip duos do.

If you look at it, it isn't that they just raised the equipment fees dramatically for many models, but they also raised the subscription fees as well. That pissed a lot of people off, including me. I think that is the main reason that they had a net loss of subscribers and I fully expect next quarters numbers to be worse.

19000 churn is only a little bit more than 1.5% of the total subs. So don't see that as a tipping point for changing the fees. It won't happen because of this. It also shows in comparison to D* that it was only a small % of those that went w/ them. Looks like the fees will most likely be staying. Look for D* to take note and they may increase theirs as well.

That just makes you giddy, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Listening to the earnings call I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle the entire exec team...

They kept blaming the Economy for the churn.

Guys it's NOT the economy look at your competition, if it was the economy all of them wouold be showing the same thing.

One DISH exec said that the set top box price increase only affected them for 60 days after the increase went into effect. Again WRONG... Many of us did not have our rates skyrocket until last month when our loyality credits ran out.

The 3rd quarter report is going to be VERY bad for DISH with this management team at the helm.

BTW Charlie was not there as he was on "holiday" with his family.

Yes, my BS-O-Meter was at full with that line!

Essentially 2 rate increases this year, then the relatively minor dust-up with Disney/ESPN and you have your reasons for the net loss of subscribers. And I expect it to get worse and not better unless someone gets their heads out of their butt!

At this point, the way that things seem to be going, I am just biding my time until they do something to push me over the edge. I really do like the 722 series and even the 922, but I keep expecting any day for them to get into another programming dispute with some channel that I watch all of the time. At that point, I may have to seriously look into DirecTV's offers that they send out in mailers to me about every week or so. The way that Dish has been for the past six months or so, it seems like it is not a matter of if, but when, they do something even more dumb than they have already. It seems as if they want to fail?

Listening to the earnings call I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle the entire exec team...

Guys it's NOT the economy look at your competition, if it was the economy all of them wouold be showing the same thing.

One DISH exec said that the set top box price increase only affected them for 60 days after the increase went into effect. Again WRONG... Many of us did not have our rates skyrocket until last month when our loyality credits ran out.

The 3rd quarter report is going to be VERY bad for DISH with this management team at the helm.

Exactly. The 6 months is now up. Main reason I switched. Their solution to downgrade programming or receivers when I called the executive team before they were to expire was unacceptable. Why should I have to, especially since all but one 622 was owned. And, there was no dual tuner single output like the 612 (not that I would ever get that one) at the time. Add the DVR fee on top for AEP subs and it really bites. Seems like double dipping to me. My D* biil after everything expires in two years will still be less than my E* bill. I do miss Epix though. But... MRV and a decent selection of On Demand rock. That and with 5 girls still officially left in the house, can't go without Disney and ABCFamily. A lot of really good shows and movies they like.

S~

I'm with you Bob. I like the equipment and I like the channels offered, but it wouldn't take much to make me decide that neither are enough. For now, I'll stick with Dish, but I'm beginning to doubt that I'll make the change I planned in September that will extend my contract.

At this point, the way that things seem to be going, I am just biding my time until they do something to push me over the edge. I really do like the 722 series and even the 922, but I keep expecting any day for them to get into another programming dispute with some channel that I watch all of the time. At that point, I may have to seriously look into DirecTV's offers that they send out in mailers to me about every week or so. The way that Dish has been for the past six months or so, it seems like it is not a matter of if, but when, they do something even more dumb than they have already. It seems as if they want to fail?

This is sort of where I am at the moment as well.

Unbelievable! Nobody called them on this smokescreen?

I think you put quotes around the wrong word. "Management" should be in quotes. Or, you could say "this so-called management team", to indicate that these guys (and gals?) couldn't manage a small janitorial service without screwing it up. Is my contempt showing here? :rant:

As may be, but the 625 has the same $17 fee that the vip duos do.

If you look at it, it isn't that they just raised the equipment fees dramatically for many models, but they also raised the subscription fees as well. That pissed a lot of people off, including me. I think that is the main reason that they had a net loss of subscribers and I fully expect next quarters numbers to be worse.

Depends which package you have.AT 250 went up,AEP went down.;)

Where else can you get NFL Red Zone for $7. dollars a month plus even more sports channels.I'll predict an increase of Dish subscribers next quarter.;)

Last edited:
It really is hard for a company to lower prices (i.e. give up what they think is income). But, in this case I would think that Dish could see what is happening. They have to have statistics generated daily on what type of subs they are losing and what type of subs are staying/adding.

Why is it that Dish's lower package price (than DIRECTV) not attracting consumers? Perhaps the word has gotten out that it is only good for 1 HD and 1 SD TV. It is very easy now to exceed DIRECTV's prices with HDTVs. The market has really shifted and SD TVs are going out fast. 2 612s on the account is $10/month extra for the second TV, DIRECTV is $5 more, already the monthly price advantage of Dish is almost consumed. Another TV and DIRECTV is the same or less.

My TV doctor just left after cleaning my screen inside my 50"RPTV said everything looks good,it should last me 10 more years.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)