DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2010 Financial Results

Hemi, I dont think they care, which is why I really stopped caring about that company. I'm glad to see some of us where right that called the losses this qtr.

it lost a net 19,000 subscribers in the quarter, ending the period with about 14.3 million subscribers. A year earlier it had a net gain of 26,000 subscribers
it doesn't seem like a huge difference between comparable quarters for 2009 and 2010. I can't see this getting Charlie all worked up enough yet.

i think we need a real third quarter loss of around 100k subscribers to really get things moving at Dish... otherwise they'll just keep blaming the economy...

some friends who i converted to satellite years ago are unhappy with E pricing but also complain of rainfade, when during storms you may need tv the most.

I think its possible that rainfade wasnt a issue 10 years ago is now a killer issue espically with stormy weather nationwide.... people expect a higher quality service from a now pricey service

so E may have a rainfade shrink rate seperate from fee jack shrink, now add a tech glitch shrink, and a tv over internet shrink.

now add them all up and we may see charlie with eyes red from all the bleeding about to occur

I just looked it up in the SatelliteGuys.US Dictionary...

feejacking

fee-jack [fee-jak]

-verb (used with object)
1. to steal from a Dish Network "best customer" or other loyal party by attaching covert equipment fees to the Dish Network programming service: to feejack loyal unsuspecting rubes.
2. to rob new Dish Network customers blind with exhorbitant fees after enticing them to signup for a seemingly less-expensive service: They feejacked the clueless bastards before they knew what hit them.
3. to seize a customer into forced compliance (paying fees) by threats of having them pay outrageous early termination fees (also known as cheesedicking).
4. to be hoodwinked: We don't care if you purchased your own receivers, you must still pay us $17 for each additional dynamic-duo receiver; Thank-you and enjoy your feejacking.

SatelliteGuys.US ©

Hemi, I dont think they care, which is why I really stopped caring about that company. I'm glad to see some of us where right that called the losses this qtr.
I honestly didn't expect a loss untill the 4th quarter. So that makes me think the worst is yet to come. It took me a month to complete the termination process. Im sure other as well.
Me leaving wouldn't even reflect untill the 3rd quarter with many others as well.

feejacking

fee-jack [fee-jak]

-verb (used with object)
1. to steal from a Dish Network "best customer" or other loyal party by attaching covert equipment fees to the Dish Network programming service: to feejack loyal unsuspecting rubes.
2. to rob new Dish Network customers blind with exhorbitant fees after enticing them to signup for a seemingly less-expensive service: They feejacked the clueless bastards before they knew what hit them.
3. to seize a customer into forced compliance (paying fees) by threats of having them pay outrageous early termination fees (also known as cheesedicking).
4. to be hoodwinked: We don't care if you purchased your own receivers, you must still pay us $17 for each additional dynamic-duo receiver; Thank-you and enjoy your feejacking.

SatelliteGuys.US ©

Great explanation. I like it.

[RANT]
Maybe the satellite TV companies should have the same regulation as cell phone companies: make them write in the contract that if there is a "material adverse change" that the customers must be released from their contract without early termination fees.

This would accomplish several things:
* No mid-contract fee changes.
* The company would have to be more willing to negotiate with the channel providers, since dropping a channel would be a "material adverse change".
* If they end up having to pay more to the channel providers due to this tougher negotiating position, they would only be able to pass the rate increase on to new customers, or people who are already out of contract.
* Under these kinds of regulations, you don't typically see "introductory" rates on cell phone services -- the rate is good for the length of the contract, and generally doesn't change after the contract is over, either. The cell phone companies don't have to compete on teaser rates -- just the available phone models, up-front costs of phones & service, and the contract-length pricing.

I never liked (even when I was working for DirecTV), the one-sided contracts which basically say "we can do whatever we want with the prices, equipment, and programming, and you can't do a damn thing about it". As much as I hate getting government involved in any kind of regulation, these companies are using their power in the marketplace to screw people over.
[/RANT]

Isnt it funny the posters here can see the E trainwreck coming while the management team appears clueless........

Wonder if a big sub loss in next quarter will see some management churn:)

If you look at the laundry list of DISH Network lawsuits in the latest SEC filing, you'll see that DIRECTV was also named as a co-defendant in several of them.
What say you about this? I find it funny that you turned a DirecTV net growth into a negative spin, yet have nothing to say about this.

Remember when I challenged you before Dish's Q2 report. I stated:
Why?

Did you say the same when Dish had a net loss for two consecutive quarters last year? Will you say the opposite when Direct gains even more subs over the next two quarters? Will you say the same of Dish when they get yet another net loss by quarter 3?
I was only wrong about which quarter, but I was correct about predicting the net loss.

This still does answer the questions I raised in the Direct Q2 thread. I guess you will not say the same of Dish

Don't you think that the management knows what is really going on and they are just putting the best spin-excuse they can to make stock holders happy?

I mean they really F*cked up big time when they jacked their fees so high and eliminated any offsets for phone lines being plugged in. Not to mention they are in a lawsuit with just about everybody in the country over something. Add to that the price hike that came in June after the FEE rape in February, loss of hd channels too and you can see why 19,000 subs churned. I can imagine more will churn next quarter and ,next quarter too , as soon as their commitments are up. DISH needs to return to it's roots and stop gouging existing subs . It makes for negative feed back and word of mouth to everyone they do this to. Negative word of mouth can destroy a company.

IT is better to make less profit per quarter than to lose subs per quarter. Because the more subs you churn the less potential to stay in the black and even make any profit at all. I know that the Wall street corporate mantra " Greed is Good "is being recycled again from the 80s , but it won't fly at DISH. The subs that DISH attracts are price conscious as well as common sense people. And since DIRECTV the sat competition, has not taken the bait and jacked up their additional receiver fees like DISH has , this makes DISH look even more expensive. It makes no sense to pay additional receiver fees for a couple of extra dvrs that rival the programming pack price. I think most subs wouldn't mind paying a little more for programming over paying outrageous "just because we can charge it" fees. Those people are flocking to DIRECTV now and their more sane price of $5.00 per additional receiver, REGARDLESS if it's a dvr or not. They also don't give a sh*t if you plug it into a phone line or charge you for it either.

Wall Street analysts and weathermen have a nice job -- they can be totally wrong on a regular basis and people still will ask for their opinions.

DISH Net:
In fact, DISH lost subs, going down by -19K versus a Street consensus that called for a +129K gain. ... DISH ended 2Q with 14.3M subscribers.
DirecTV:
The DBS giant added 100K net new U.S. subscribers (versus forecasts of 32K) to end the three month period with 18.76M.
So analysts expected DishNet to gain 4 times as many new subscribers as DirecTV. So much for knowing what they are talking about.

I find it funny that you turned a DirecTV net growth into a negative spin, yet have nothing to say about this.
I didn't speak to the DIRECTV US net growth other than it needed to be considered apart from that of DIRECTV LA, but since you mentioned it, they tied a record for lowest growth in recent history set in Q1.

If you must see a positive spin before you will relent on your DIRECTV campaign, DISH Network has had greater subscriber losses in recent history.

So analysts expected DishNet to gain 4 times as many new subscribers as DirecTV. So much for knowing what they are talking about.
You don't see Craig Moffett's name mentioned as much as you used to. I think he's been getting a black eye on some of his more recent forecasts.

Wall Street analysts and weathermen have a nice job -- they can be totally wrong on a regular basis and people still will ask for their opinions.

DISH Net: DirecTV:

I've been close enough to these analysts (and their CO's) to know they are nothing more than no it all teenagers, relatively speaking.

There are probably a lot of subs like me that are with Dish since there is no real alternative in our area ATM. Believe me if something better came along I would jump first chance. After the fee increases this year I no longer have any loyalty to Dish. The 922 certainly has not won me over with it not being reliable enough to actually record shows, much less worrying about sling issues. Now I view Dish as being overpriced with buggy equipment. Not a good place to be in as far as Dish is concerned.

DIRECTV is rumored to be picking up my market later this year and they have been adding new HD. Some friends of mine at the cable company tell me that they have almost finished upgrading all their nodes around the city and will be able to add HD later this year. So, Dish has a few more months to get their act together. Although I am not under any contract with Dish, a lot of others probably are and feel the same way. When their contracts come up and they have alternatives they will churn away.

Audit Team and Because We Can Fees = Expected Subscriber Loss = NO DUH!!! Things are catching up with them and will continue to do so as long as they do things like this as a company. What did they expect? To gain a bunch of customers by doing this? Directv is getting their unhappy customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts