Dish Network repositioning

ED77

Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
All:
I got a letter from Dish Network today stating my dishes had to be realigned to continue receiving HD programming. Cost is free.
If something was posted here or elsewhere, I missed it. I'm rather busy even being retired!
Any info regarding this? New satellites already up and Dish is switching perhaps?
An 800 number is provided for an appointment.
Mr. Ed

moved to Dish area

what dish setup do you have right now? I would hazard a guess you have 2 dishes set up. One at 110/119 and one at 61.5
Dish is migrating people off of haphazrd setups and onto one arc. Either Eastern Arc (61.5/72/77) or Western Arc (110/119/129)
What model receivers do you have?

If you dont change you will lose HD programming. They've moved most of the HD to 72.7

Make sure you have that letter in front of you when you call. I got the same letter a while back. Made the phone call and the rep started quoting what is was going to cost. I finally read the entire letter to her.

Now for the warning. If you have any SD receivers they will have to be switched out for HD receivers. If you have just 1 receiver no big deal. I had 4 receivers, 2 HD for my HD TV's(VIP612's), 2 SD(510's) for my non HD TV's. The rep on the phone said there would be no problem, they would just need to install new dish. Installer arrived and what he was going to do was not was discussed on the phone. Installer called Dish and put them on speaker phone. Dish rep basically told me I had no choice and came across with a snotty attitude. I refused her only solution and the installer left after I apologized for wasting his time.

After getting more notices of the urgent need for an equipment upgrade I called Dish again.I explained my current setup and that my requirements was to have 4 DVR receivers. Rep said no problem. Appointment made. Wrong, installer arrived, said the SD receivers will not work after the dish install. Not only that, I was then informed that they were taking back the 2 SD receivers, 1 which I had about 100 hours DVR'd on it. He explained that if I owned the receivers then they did not need go back. He ran the receiver #s and fortunately the 100hr worth of DVR program one I owned.
Installer had a 622 on the truck and that is what he switched out for the 2 SD receivers. And the reason I wanted 4 receivers came to pass within the hour after the installer left. Son was arguing with me because a conflicting DVR recording time. So I don't use the 622 at all to record now.

So what I am saying is to make sure what the Dish rep tells you can actually happen. I have been a Dish customer since 1998. I have always dealt directly with Dish. But the last 2-3 years I have been at a 50-50 ratio of knowledgeable/friendly reps or "I don't have a clue" /snotty attitude reps. Hopefully you will get the knowledgeable/friendly rep.

Iceberg, Thanks much on the reply. I had a bear of a time trying to locate my question! I don't get on Satellite Guys too much.
Back to your question; I have two dishes. They are pointed almost 90* apart-guessing here. I have one receiver. Model on front of it is: VIP 722 DVR.
I live in Port St. Lucie, FL which is on the SE coast of the state. So I presume this is the Eastern Arc.
Now that I got some info here, I'll be making the call for an appointment. Thanks man!

Right now you have a split setup (110/119 and 61.5)

I would call Dish and have them come out and swap you for Eastern Arc. Since the 722 is the only receiver they can do it. Then you'll get the HD channels you're missing right now

Switched last month to a pure EA setup. Even though we only have two HDTVs they still swapped the other receivers to 612s. I prefer having separate receivers as the duels the TV 2 is only SD and as I said we plan soon to upgrade the other two SDTVs to HDTVs.

I currently have the same setup (110/119 and 61.5) and missing a lot of the HD channels. When I call Dish are they going to try to charge me for the swap. I'm in the Austin TX area, which ARC should I be using to get all the HD programming?

TIA

I currently have the same setup (110/119 and 61.5) and missing a lot of the HD channels. When I call Dish are they going to try to charge me for the swap. I'm in the Austin TX area, which ARC should I be using to get all the HD programming?

TIA

You can either use an eastern arc or western arc setup I believe for your area. Your locals are on both arcs so either one will work. Call DISH and ask them to upgrade your dish . It shouldn't cost you anything to upgrade you to a single 1000.4 sat dish with either eastern or western arc lnb.

TIA

If you send me your phone number, or account number in a PM, I can get you the details.

Thanks everyone, Matt set up an appointment to get a tech to my house to migrate me to the Western ARC.

Thank you Matt for all your help.

Iceberg,
The Dish man came out and moved one dish to a westerly direction, looking the same as the 2nd dish direction. After having some time to look at tv when he'd left I noticed all channels looked like the signal quality was shy of what it used to be especially on HD. But I could tell even the SD channels didn't look as good as they were before he moved the dish. I phoned him later in the day. He said the channel lineup would be all complete by the end of the month. Maybe that would fix the problem. So after the end of the month I'll see if I get a better picture particularly on HD. Like, I could see strands of hair on a persons head on a close up!
Before the dish move, it was just like seeing a person in front of you on a close up, live tv picture i.e. a local news program. I have a 42" Plasma Spray TV.

Are you sure that you are now looking at the HD channels and not the SD ones? I think you were fed a load of crap about things being better at the end of the month as far as PQ goes.

Iceberg,
The Dish man came out and moved one dish to a westerly direction, looking the same as the 2nd dish direction. After having some time to look at tv when he'd left I noticed all channels looked like the signal quality was shy of what it used to be especially on HD. But I could tell even the SD channels didn't look as good as they were before he moved the dish. I phoned him later in the day. He said the channel lineup would be all complete by the end of the month. Maybe that would fix the problem. So after the end of the month I'll see if I get a better picture particularly on HD. Like, I could see strands of hair on a persons head on a close up!
Before the dish move, it was just like seeing a person in front of you on a close up, live tv picture i.e. a local news program. I have a 42" Plasma Spray TV.

Like lakebum431 said. Make sure that they are the HD version and not the SD(check the all HD list). Go to dish point screen and tell us if you now have 110/119/129.