DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

Now that the MagicJack Plus is out (no live computer connection needed), I need to look into getting it. We cut the cord on home telephone service 5 years ago, opting for cell only.

That is what I have. Magic Jack plus plugged into my surge protector with ethernet to the router. Compared to Vonage I can hear better on mj and I don't hear an echo of my voice . Vonage operates like a two way radio; you can talk and then the other person can talk ,but not at the same time. Drawback to the mj is that they say you can transfer your existing phone number ,but I still can't do that and there is no caller id with mj.

DIRECTV also charges $7 per outlet even if it has no tuner in it, such as a HR34 with a Samsung RVU compatable television.

Congrats Dish.... you just made yourself price competitive with D*.. when you were ahead of them before :( Just added $11/month to my Dish column in the SS where I am comparing D* and E*.. and I believe that will be the tipping point. The wife will be very happy to finally have ESPNU.

Compared to Vonage I can hear better on mj and I don't hear an echo of my voice . Vonage operates like a two way radio; you can talk and then the other person can talk ,but not at the same time. Drawback to the mj is that they say you can transfer your existing phone number ,but I still can't do that and there is no caller id with mj.

Not with my Vonage, no echos, clear calls, plenty of talking over each other. About the only complaint is the adapter very occasionally locks up and needs a reboot - like once every 3 or 4+ months. Maybe a difference in the adapters?

Congrats Dish.... you just made yourself price competitive with D*.. when you were ahead of them before :( Just added $11/month to my Dish column in the SS where I am comparing D* and E*.. and I believe that will be the tipping point. The wife will be very happy to finally have ESPNU.

by the way its only $6 on Directv for an extra receiver

I got my 922 in October because my 722 was dying. I thought it would have had most of the bugs worked out and Dish insisted it was there best receiver. I paid $200 and about 2 weeks later it went to free. I know everyone is saying to wait on the Hopper/Joey, but I didn't get far waiting for the 922. Anybody know if I would be allowed an upgrade since I am under contract? I know normally only one upgrade every two years. Right now I have a 922 and two 612's and run to 6 TV's. Some are mirrored at this point so the Joey sounds good to me. I have been a customer for 10 years and already have auto pay and paperless billing.

One def I saw was as low as 10% lower, or up to 10% higher than the competition. I was thinking (wrongly) that, to be competitive, you had to be at least as cheap as the competition, and not higher. In any case, ($7-$6)/$6 X 100 = 16% higher. Dish is not even competitive, let along aggressive on the monthly fees.

I will admit that free upgrades would indeed be aggressive pricing, at least compared to some other firms.

Um, D* just raised their rates:
Advanced Receiver = $20/month- required for all HD DVRsC HD DVRs & TiVo HD DVRs
Advanced Receiver- HD = $10/month- required for all HD Receivers
Advanced Receiver- DVR = $8/month- required for all DVR Recivers
Additional TV Fee =$6/month- for each additional receiver and/or RVU enabled TV

From D*.com setup- HD DVR, HD Receiver and SD DVR Receiver have fees of $20 (-$10**) + $10 + $8 = $28 **24 mos. rebate
Hopper/Joey setup- Hopper, 2 Joeys = $6 + $4 + $7 + $7 = $24

and only gets better for Dish as you add more receivers/Joeys.

EDIT: Sorry, not the best quote, but goes to stream of thought.

Last edited:
For a single non-MRV setup, the D* fees you show are $10 too high. The $20 Advanced Receiver fee covers HD, MRV and DVR.

The Advanced Receiver HD and DVR are separate fees broken down for existing subs. For instance my current bill shows:
Advanced Receiver HD = $10
Advanced Receiver DVR = $8
Advanced Receiver MRV = $3

And they credit off $10 as I have HD free for life.

For a single non-MRV setup, the D* fees you show are $10 too high. The $20 Advanced Receiver fee covers HD, MRV and DVR.

The Advanced Receiver HD and DVR are separate fees broken down for existing subs. For instance my current bill shows:
Advanced Receiver HD = $10
Advanced Receiver DVR = $8
Advanced Receiver MRV = $3

And they credit off $10 as I have HD free for life.

Nope, I took that directly off of the DirecTV setup website- which anyone changing from Dish would have to pay. Three receivers- HD DVR, HD Receiver and DVR.

The $20 fee for the first HD DVR apparently includes the HD Fee, DVR Fee and the "whole home" Fee. There is a 24 month $10 discount to approximate "Free HD".

you've got the pricing wrong...

If all you have is the HR34 (as I do) the only fee I pay is $8 DVR fee. HD is waived with auto pay. I do not pay a MRV fee as I only have one receiver
But if you have extra receivers and want MRV (you dont have to take it) price is such...also you dont have to take 3 extra receivers.

$10 for MRV & DVR fee
$6 for each extra receiver

so a HR34/3 H25's would be $28 ($20-10+6+6+6)
and a H/3J setup is $31 (6+4+7+7+7)

If you go with 2 each it would be 22 vs 24

Advantage of the MRV setup on D* is right now you have 8 tuners

For a new customer the Advanced Receiver charge of $20 covers DVR, HD and MRV. No additional $8 fee involved nor the $10 whatsoever.

For an existing customer the fees are as I showed them, taken directly off my bill I got yesterday.

Attached is a PDF of the shopping cart I created at D* as a new customer :

Attachments

• Shopping Cart.pdf
    264.5 KB · Views: 348
If you only want a single TV, the Hopper is not the best choice for you. Just get a ViP receiver, such as the ViP211K (& EHD). No $4 whole house fee. Why is this concept so strange? Why would you want a Hopper for a single TV - just to have "the latest and greatest?"
I have a 922/622 combo on 1 TV, with TV2 output to my roommate's room when he's here. 2 tuners even with OTA wasn't enought even for just me. PTAT would make up for losing some tuners but I still need the OTA add-on. I'm ready to relieve myself of the price gouge of a second Duo DVR. 1H/1J would save $10 while 1H would save $17 and I'd get my den/hobby room back.

you've got the pricing wrong...

Advantage of the MRV setup on D* is right now you have 8 tuners

That is a technical advantage and might be a user advantage too depending on what/when/how they watch.

In the D* setup you distributed setup, meaning you can't set any unit from another unit, or see its todo list or use its series manager. IF I had an HR34, I would want a 2nd unit to be DVR and let my son do whatever he wants on that and I would control the HR34. Would make it much handier than the 2 HR24s I have stacked now.

For a new customer the Advanced Receiver charge of $20 covers DVR, HD and MRV. No additional $8 fee involved nor the $10 whatsoever.

For an existing customer the fees are as I showed them, taken directly off my bill I got yesterday.

Attached is a PDF of the shopping cart I created at D* as a new customer :

This is good to know.

I've attached a PDF detailing NEW CUSTOMER upfront and monthly expenditures over a 3 year period using today's rate structure for both DISH and DTV comparing Choice Xtra to AT 200, and Choice Ultimate to AT250 using a HR34 and H25's for DTV and Hopper/Joeys for DISH. Not sure if this has been detailed yet, but thought some might find it interesting.

If I made a mistake, I'm sure someone will do me the courtesy of letting me know. :)

View attachment DTV vs DISH.pdf

I've attached a PDF detailing NEW CUSTOMER upfront and monthly expenditures over a 3 year period using today's rate structure for both DISH and DTV comparing Choice Xtra to AT 200, and Choice Ultimate to AT250 using a HR34 and H25's for DTV and Hopper/Joeys for DISH. Not sure if this has been detailed yet, but thought some might find it interesting.

If I made a mistake, I'm sure someone will do me the courtesy of letting me know. :)

View attachment 74345
Information is power. Great job.

so if you got a hopper and 3 joeys that would be how much in fees? ty for any help i just want to understand after seeing this in fees $6 dvr fee plus $7 for each joey so it would be $31? :) View attachment 74224

$38..$17 for the Hopper. $7 for each joey..In other words, it's absurd. $38 BEFORE you get to programming.
I can think of one Dish customer who won't be enjoying Dish's latest and greatest....

$38..$17 for the Hopper. $7 for each joey..In other words, it's absurd. $38 BEFORE you get to programming.
I can think of one Dish customer who won't be enjoying Dish's latest and greatest....

No. $31. $6 DVR + $4 Whole Home + $7x3 Joeys.

There is not a $7 fee for the first Hopper.

It will be available to conumers on March 15th for consumer activation and will be included in todays normal promotions.With AT200 or higher you can get Hopper and 3 Joeys for FREE. If you have less then AT200 you can get Hopper and 3 Joeys for $99.$7 Each additional outlet. Hopper retails for $499 and Joeys for $99.Upgrade is $100 for plan B and C customers. $0 for Plan A customers.$100 for Existing customers to upgrade to Hopper / Joey.No Mixed ViP / Hopper setups.It looks like each Joey is considered an additional outlet. For $7 a month. Ok DISH is watching and I am getting email (thanks!)...Correction... second hopper is $199 and the monthly fee with be $7 a month. And yes 1st Joey will still cost $7 a month.Thanks DISH for the info!Hey Scott, I didn't hear or see this at all yet but can an account have just 2 Hoppers? The Customer Estimate Sheet for the Hopper that I have does not show that scenario.They said on the chat that the answer to this was yes. They customer has to pay $199 for the extra Hopper then $7 a month for it. Is the first Joey included in the fees?? Otherwise it's $7 per month extra for that new second TV....No the first Joey is $7 a month as are each additional Joey...Answer by Scott - First Hopper would be $10 a month, Each additional Hopper and Joey would be $7 a month each.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts