DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

I dont know about DIRECTV or what they are doing. I have also never used their HR34 Mutliroom DVR but have been told that you can only watch one recording in a remote room at a time meaning that bedroom 1 can watch a DVRed show, while Bedroom 2 can't. If this is true (and again I have never used one) that is a big limitation to have.

From where I sit there is no correct solution here. You have to select by who gives you what you want and does it for the best price. I am not pro DISH or PRO DIRECTV in this way as everyones needs are different.

i had hr34 installed and asked the tech this and called direct and they said you can do this :)

I noticed on that estimate sheet, there is no 2 Hopper by itself, or 2 Hopper/1 Joey listed. Hopefully that's just because there wasn't room to list them on one sheet.

I noticed on that estimate sheet, there is no 2 Hopper by itself, or 2 Hopper/1 Joey listed. Hopefully that's just because there wasn't room to list them on one sheet.

I hope so. My guess they were listing what they think the most likely scenarios are, but for myself it would probably be 2 Hoppers and one or two Joeys.

In the D* setup you distributed setup, meaning you can't set any unit from another unit, or see its todo list or use its series manager.

You CAN on any non-DVR HD boxes; this applies to BOTH the HR34 & HR2x DVR's in an MRV setup.

IF I had an HR34, I would want a 2nd unit to be DVR and let my son do whatever he wants on that and I would control the HR34. Would make it much handier than the 2 HR24s I have stacked now.

OK, why wouldn't just give your son a H2x non-DVR HD box connected to your HR34 then? Over your current setup, you would GAIN an extra (recording) tuner in the HR34 to use between you & your son - PLUS your son gets his own, dedicated LIVE TV tuner in the H2x. (so you actually gain TWO tuners!)

Since the HR34 has a 1TB hard drive & the HR24's have 500gb hard drives, you STILL have the same amount of storage between you two.
The only thing I can see your son loosing, would be being able to pause live TV - tell him he'll have to start recording ALL his shows, but he CAN start watching them while they are (still) recording. :D ;)

But considering your monthly cost will be the same, what really ARE gaining by swapping your 2 HR24's? Quite frankly, I would rather have 2 separate DVR's; this way if one crashed, you still have another working DVR until the other gets replaced. When it crashes on the HR34 - you loose it ALL! :eek:

Last edited:
I'm a bit sour on this already because Dish won't just mail me the boxes for me to install myself, even if I had to buy the other pieces/parts to implement (like nodes, splitters, etc.). This is the same Dish Network that wouldn't take my 200 bucks and let me upgrade to a 922 without a truck roll. I've been out of contract for years since and stayed with my 722.

Buying the Hoppers is out as well, as there's no way I'd pay hundreds of dollars to own devices that also have a monthly fee that can only be used with one service.

I'd probably switch from my 2x211 1x722 setup to a 2xHopper + 1xJoey setup if not for this, which shouldn't change my bill that significantly, though if the first Joey was included (like many here would like it to be, but it is not), then I'd save a little money (about 3$/mo. 6+7+7 currently would become 10+7).

In all seriousness it would make more sense to me that Joeys were purchased (one time of 99 or 149 or something) and then we pay more to lease additional Hoppers (after #1, say 15/mo). I doubt the Joeys are that expensive to produce in the first place and ultimately we're just expanding the features of our Hopper unit to more TVs (in similar way to if we were using Slingcatchers or the like).

Of course, my proposal is likely consumer friendly, and, well, the sat carriers and the cable carriers don't want to be accused of being consumer friendly. :)

You CAN on any non-DVR HD boxes; this applies to BOTH the HR34 & HR2x DVR's in an MRV setup.

OK, why wouldn't just give your son a H2x non-DVR HD box connected to your HR34 then? Over your current setup, you would GAIN an extra (recording) tuner in the HR34 to use between you & your son - PLUS your son gets his own, dedicated LIVE TV tuner in the H2x. (so you actually gain TWO tuners!)

Since the HR34 has a 1TB hard drive & the HR24's have 500gb hard drives, you STILL have the same amount of storage between you two.
The only thing I can see your son loosing, would be being able to pause live TV - tell him he'll have to start recording ALL his shows, but he CAN start watching them while they are (still) recording. :D ;)

But considering your monthly cost will be the same, what really ARE gaining by swapping your 2 HR24's? Quite frankly, I would rather have 2 separate DVR's; this way if one crashed, you still have another working DVR until the other gets replaced. When it crashes on the HR34 - you loose it ALL! :eek:

I know the Hxx receivers can set a recording on the HRs in an MRV setup, but I didn't think they see the ToDo List or can use the Series Manager. I've never seen anyone say they could before this.

I don't have an HR34 as the price they have quoted me is not good at all because I am too new with D*. I understand that, even if I don't like it. :)

And HR34 with one Hxx would give me enough to work with except that live viewing is not done by either of us very often. Him because of his work schedule, me because I just don't want to. So what can be done with live shows isn't a concern at all, or at most of minimal concern. I would like to replace the 2 HRs I use with an HR34, but the only real benefit to me would be series management of my recordings.

Compared to the HR34 from D* and the Hopper from E*, the fact that the EHD with D* is not per account, but per receiver, I think that in the end if I make a switch to a more centralized unit setup, it will be with E*. That is because I can archive programs to an EHD and still have them available should the DVR crap out. With more tuners, that is a bigger deal than it is with the 2-tuner units. Or at least I think it is.

Did they say on the chat how long these upgrade prices would be good? If I do upgrade to Hopper/Joey, it would not be until June. I am hoping the upgrade prices don't go up before then.

I hope so. My guess they were listing what they think the most likely scenarios are, but for myself it would probably be 2 Hoppers and one or two Joeys.
I fear that perhaps Dish will implement some kind of policy that says if you want 2 hoppers, you have to have at least 2 joeys with them. That would explain why the 2nd hopper monthly fee is only $7. :(

/I know, I know...don't give them any ideas.....

I fear that perhaps Dish will implement some kind of policy that says if you want 2 hoppers, you have to have at least 2 joeys with them. That would explain why the 2nd hopper monthly fee is only $7. :(

I doubt it, but you never know. The $7 for the 2nd Hopper is basically matching the rest of the market, Dish has the HR34 to compete with, and the $199 up front goes a long way towards both offsetting the cost and making the account "sticky."

Compared to the HR34 from D* and the Hopper from E*, the fact that the EHD with D* is not per account, but per receiver, I think that in the end if I make a switch to a more centralized unit setup, it will be with E*. That is because I can archive programs to an EHD and still have them available should the DVR crap out.

You do understand that there is no such "archiving" function on the D* EHD's, right? It is NOT the same thing like you have on E*'s receiver, where you can actually "archive" (move) shows from the internal hd to an external one. The only purpose an ehd serves on a D* receiver, is to give you a bigger &/or additional hd. And when you plug an ehd into a D* DVR, it disables the internal one completely while you have the ehd plugged in. And every time you want to swap between the internal & external ehd's, is you have to do a receiver reboot each time.

Yes, I am very familiar with the limitations of the D* EHD support and in fact it is because of those limitations that I've never considered adding an EHD to a D* DVR to be of much value.

IMO, the method that E* employs is far superior in that it both adds to the storage capability and is good to use on all Vips except the 211(k?).

An alternative solution is to change your package ...

I am currently AT120 for $45.

You "could" change to America HD for $35.

That is a $10 difference ... which then essentially makes up for the $11 Hopper/Joey. This way Dish gets an extra $1 ... and you get new tech.

BUT ... and for me this is a HUGE BUT ... my kids lose Nick, Disney and ABC Family.

The wife has actually got into some ABC Family serials too ...

Anyway ... the point ... you could "flip" to an "America HD" package which is in general $10 cheaper*.

In addition ... the "Top" packages are essentially $10 difference too ... you could drop to a "lower" Top package ... making up the difference for the Hopper/Joey. Obviously you lose channels. Perhaps you could be "creative" and only subscribe to the "higher" package when your program is on and then flip back to the lower???

In both cases ... Dish gets the same amount of money ... and you get the new tech. You WILL get LESS channels though. Its a bit of a double edged sword. You get the new tech ... but if you have less channels to use that new tech on ... why get the new tech?

Just some ideas ...

* As pointed out ... these are not directly the same as the America "Top" packages also have less channels ... so compare channel lists very carefully.

I doubt it, but you never know. The $7 for the 2nd Hopper is basically matching the rest of the market, Dish has the HR34 to compete with, and the $199 up front goes a long way towards both offsetting the cost and making the account "sticky."
Are we sure it is only 7 for the second hopper or is their a second mrv fee of 4.00 on that?
I do not remember anyone saying one fee covers all . you would think so but you wouldn't think one hopper would have it and it does

Are we sure it is only 7 for the second hopper or is their a second mrv fee of 4.00 on that?
I do not remember anyone saying one fee covers all . you would think so but you wouldn't think one hopper would have it and it does

Pretty sure. Sure enough I would bet a small amount on it. Look at the estimate sheet. As dare2be notes, not every permutation is listed, but there isn't a second MRV fee anywhere.

Last edited:
A second Hopper is actually sounding kind of attractive versus 1 Hopper and 1 Joey.

With a second Hopper you get:

1. More tuners
- 6 satellite turners ... or
- 5 satellite tuners and 1 PTA (4 locals)
2. Another hard drive
3. Costs the same as a Joey (assuming you don't get dinged $4 twice).
4. PIP on the second TV

So ... when (if) ... the Hoppers get to see each other ...

Both Hoppers will be able to see each others contents ... giving you extra storage space across the "enterprise" ... kind of eliminating the need for an EHD. It does cost $200 for the second Hopper ... but if you figure an EHD costs $100 (+- depending on size) ... that drops the second Hopper down to $100.

Lots of options ...

IMO, the method that E* employs is far superior in that it both adds to the storage capability and is good to use on all Vips except the 211(k?).

Agree...which is one of several reasons why I'm actually thinking of dumping D* & switching to E*. (or possibly Comcast, but with a WMC PC/CableCard tuner)
But if I did go to E*, it would NOT be with this H/J at it's present (monthly) pricing; will just "slum it" with a 722k & 612.

The main reason though...the fact it's VERY obvious to me that D* has basically thrown the towel in on any basic HD adds, & I'm am TOTALLY fed up with having to (still) watch SO many of my channels in (letterbox) SD. :mad:

Price advantage no more?

Been updating my Spreadsheet, attempting to digest the new Hopper/Joey pricing and the recent DirectTV pricing changes.

We currently have Dish America Silver and a Vip622. We have the TV2 output of the 622 run upstairs and split to 2 TV2's (SD).

Comparing the price to get HD for TV2 and TV3 with a new setup.

I would be able to qualify for a new customer and referral credits as a new Direct customer. And the current Costco promotion (wife is a member) is $120 giftcard.

Comparing Dish Silver with a 622 vs. Hopper+2 Joeys vs. Direct Choice Xtra with 3 total HD connections.

Please check my math.. but the 2 year total cost I'm seeing is
a) stay with my 622 and SD on TV2/TV3... $1343
b) Stay with Dish, but change to Hopper + 2 Joeys .. $1874 ($531 increase.. yikes!)
c) Switch to Direct, use a referral and Costco, get the new 5-tuner HD-DVR and 2 side HD boxes .. $1474... $131 more than my current setup, but $400 less than comparable with Dish.

Choice on Direct looks like at least as many channels as Dish Silver and their "extras" pkg if $5/mo vs. $10 for Platinum (altho Dish would offer the movies by mail)

And we'd get the 3 free months of HBO/Showtime/Starz, etc.

I think for $131, I may have talked myself in to it.. have I missed anything on the pricing? PDF attached.

View attachment Dish.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts