DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

tight? can you explain?

from what I see on the Direct site, I can lock in my rate for 2 years (they probably leave themselves the same "fee loophole" as Dish.. so as someone leaning heavily towards switching, I'll avoid the Dish price increase which they are free to do in 2013 (they only promised not to raise in 2012)

Elimination of the year 2 discount and Free HD for Life. See post 515 above.

I'm surprised at the negative comments towards Claude's posting where he basically took a particular scenario and summed it up. Although he was not pro something else on the posting (if I remember right), he was singled out as being pro something else by others, while no one else was singled out. Maybe he posted something elsewhere.
That's a Bingo. He created his own thread. It won't be hard to find. :)

$4 Whole Home fee is account-wide, not charged on 2nd Hopper.

Welcome back, from one of the unrecognized posters. :)

tight? can you explain?

from what I see on the Direct site, I can lock in my rate for 2 years (they probably leave themselves the same "fee loophole" as Dish.. so as someone leaning heavily towards switching, I'll avoid the Dish price increase which they are free to do in 2013 (they only promised not to raise in 2012)

They're locking in your discount for two years if you're a low risk customer, they're not locking the price of programming. The second year discount is accompanied by the following small print ... "Estimated second year monthly cost. Pricing is subject to change after first year."

So if you have DTV installed between now and March 14, and are low risk, you'll get a discount in the first and second year; however, you will be subject to any programming and receiver increases which they typically have every February. They're not guaranteeing a programming price freeze for two years which is what DISH did with their most popular programming.

Last edited:
They're locking in your discount for two years if you're a low risk customer, they're not locking the price of programming. The second year discount is accompanied by the following small print ... "Estimated second year monthly cost. Pricing is subject to change after first year."

So if you have DTV installed between now and March 14, and are low risk, you'll get a discount in the first and second year; however, you will be subject to any programming and receiver increases which they typically have every February. They're not guaranteeing a programming price freeze for two years which is what DISH did with their most popular programming.

thanks for that... trying to make sure I understand all the details before making the switch.

Well, I "tortured" the #'s a little more and geez, now I really can't see a reason to stay... (I called retention and was only offered $5 off for 6 mo)

to recap.. I currently have America Silver with a single 622. We split the TV2out to 3 TVs. I would like to also have some of the CH in the Blockbuster pack (formerly Platinum).. but don't really care about the disc-by-mail part.

When I started my research, it was before the DirectTV price increases, and they appear to have changed their promotions. Also, it looks like they may have a new CH pkg "Entertainment", which essentially gives us all the same HD CH we have with Silver (or at least the ones we watch), and still qualifies for all of the promotions (when I was looking in Jan some of the lower tiers didn't get discounts on the equipment)....

So a revised PDF.. with costs out to 3 years.. comparing
a) staying with my current setup (plus BB)
b) staying with Dish, but switching to 1 Hopper + 2 Joeys
c) switching to DTV with their 5-tuner DVR + 2 HD rcvrs (7 tuners total)

quite frankly (unless I've made a math mistake), the H+J option loses.. and loses badly.. even after year 3 (when all of the new customer discounts have stopped).. but over 3 years, I'd save almost $500 vs. going with H+2J ?!?

I do admit the Direct "Extras" pack is not as good as the Dish Platinum channels.. but we most watched Universal. So that part is a bit unfair, but its not my choice how these companies choose to group the CH (I'd personally prefer a la carte.. but that's another topic :) )

PDF attached...

Attachments

• Dish vs Direct.pdf
    6.8 KB · Views: 240
I don't see any obvious errors with your math, but i didn't run it down with my calc.

I think what you're seeing is Dish is counting on the vast majority of people not doing this math over the length of the contract. As with most companies, DirectTV included, they promote the initial, first-year costs. When you do that, Dish looks pretty good. That's where most people stop looking. I commend you for doing the full math and see the bottom line. You obviously don't work in Congress....

Well, I "tortured" the #'s a little more and geez, now I really can't see a reason to stay... (I called retention and was only offered $5 off for 6 mo)

Your comparing post-promo Dish prices with new customer promo Directv prices.

The dollars will always be better off if your willing to hop on the switch every two year carousel. Nothing wrong with that, lots of folks do it, but it's always been the case.

I have seen posts about Directv's second year promos going away next month - not sure of the details or the verity, but you may want to go ahead and jump if it's what you want to do.

Direct is just trying to jump the gun on the Hopper to get people into commitments before the Hopper comes out. Notice that their current promotion ends March 14th.

Your comparing post-promo Dish prices with new customer promo Directv prices.
The dollars will always be better off if your willing to hop on the switch every two year carousel. Nothing wrong with that, lots of folks do it, but it's always been the case.
I tried to be more fair by at least stretching the comparison to 3 years :) At the end of the day (for me) the bottom line is how much I will pay for TV service.... they can call it whatever they want, promo, etc. If they want to play that game, I as a smart consumer will too :) I did call Dish retention to see if they wanted to throw me a bone.. but it was a pinky-toe at best.

I have seen posts about Directv's second year promos going away next month - not sure of the details or the verity, but you may want to go ahead and jump if it's what you want to do.
yep.. the discount for year 2 appears to expire 3/15. Gotta talk with the wife tonite, make sure she is on-board, and then I'll call Direct tomorrow to schedule the install. Shrug... it'll be an adventure... and one way or another, I'll hopefully be wiser for the experience :)

This is GREAT research and certainly puts a stain on the Hopper/Joey for existing customers as you appear to get more bang for your buck ... with what you have (722/622/etc) ... or ... the other guy (shhh) ;)

This is GREAT research and certainly puts a stain on the Hopper/Joey for existing customers as you appear to get more bang for your buck ... with what you have (722/622/etc) ... or ... the other guy (shhh) ;)

It all depends on your current configuration. For some it will be a wash, for most it will cost more...

It's not a stain on Hopper at all, its the same it has always been, change providers to get the new customer promos. If you are open to changing, looking into it before entering a new commitment is the right time, but thats just common sense.

It's not a stain on Hopper at all, its the same it has always been, change providers to get the new customer promos. If you are open to changing, looking into it before entering a new commitment is the right time, but thats just common sense.

Direct won't look quite as good for switchers if the rumored March 15 promotion changes take place. Is AAA still giving a $200 promo for Direct? That'd really help if you can qualify for that.

I will also clarify that for those with many TVs ... Hopper/Joey should indeed save money or come out pretty close.

For those with 1 or 2 HD outlets ... is a bit of a different story.

Of course, after you cancel, and get set up with Direct, Dish will call and offer you the world to come back.

$10 per month for a year and some free premiums or BB Home for a few months is about the max they offer from what I've seen lately. The $5 for 6 months is the usual offer which isn't going to influence many subs. Just run the numbers over a couple years and see what's best for you. Remember, there appears to be a reduction in Direct's promos come March 15th. Through March 14, Direct subs can not only get $10 off per month for 20 months but also another $10 off per month for the second 12 months of the 2-year contract with a AAA membership. You would still save a lot after paying the AAA membership. I'm not shilling for either Direct or AAA. I just looked it up myself as I considered possibilities. You have to call a special 800 number so you'll need to do a search on the AAA site.

What if you ran the numbers Apples to Apples to be fair

Customer has Cable now and they would be a NEW Customer for Dish or DireCTV. That way the promo pricing is fair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)