Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Welcome to another SatelliteGuys Recap of Dish Networks Retailer Chat.

This chat recap is typed in semi realtime, meaning sometimes I stop typing to grab screenshots which may interest you.

As always we do not provide any dealer sensitive information, we only give you information which and consumer could find out by calling their Dish Network retailer and asking them whats new.

I expect todays Chat will be heavily focused on last weeks Team Summit event. There will probably be a lot of stuff covered which will not be covered here because it is dealer sensitive.

I also DO NOT believe we will see any mention of new HD programming from Dish even though last night Dish Network uplinked 20 TMP HD channels. But this is Dish Network we are talking about so anything is possible. :)

Enjoy the recap and excusing my spelling and typing errors. :)

Here we go, Jim and Tom greet us and tell us what a great time they had in Nashville.

A recap video from Team Summit is shown.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 391
Long video...

Now talking about some of the economics for retailers that was announced at Team Summit.

Now talking about Training from Dish-U. Dish U is Dish Network online Training Website.

Talking about adding the 22 new HD channels which were added last week.

A Video is shown (the same one that customers see adverting 22 new HD channels)

They talk about the HD Only package. This is now called the HD Absolute package now.

Talk about MGM HD, Smithsonian HD, and World Fishing Network. Jim kind of laughs about the WFN.

Dish now has 25 RSN's in HD.

Talking about locals that were launched in HD. A slate is shown where HD locals are coming this summer. They will turn them on as soon as they have them setup and running. A number were planned to launch already but there were technical delays.

Now on to talk about marketing...

Talking about Cinemax for a Penny

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 2,566
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 973
Here is Leslie Harper with the Tech Chat...

Talks about the Eastern Arc Dish...

Talks about IR to UHF converter which was shown at Team Summit.

Talks about Dish Pro Plus 33 switch. The Dish Pro Plus 33 is now available to retailers.

And that wraps up Leslies Segment.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 376
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 998
Now taking questions, and so far no interesting questions. So essentually this chat is done (unless a question comes in which is good.)

Talking about adding the 22 new HD channels which were added last week.

A Video is shown (the same one that customers see adverting 22 new HD channels)

They talk about the HD Only package. This is now called the HD Absolute package now.

Talk about MGM HD, Smithsonian HD, and World Fishing Network. Jim kind of laughs about the WFN.

Dish now has 25 RSN's in HD.

Talking about locals that were launched in HD. A slate is shown where HD locals are coming this summer. They will turn them on as soon as they have them setup and running. A number were planned to launch already but there were technical delays.

Now on to talk about marketing...

Talking about Cinemax for a Penny

Is that Greenville, NC I see??? That just made my day!

james_k_p: Likely technical difficulties with HD feeds resulting from Katrina, if I'd take a shot at it.

This will be recapped (Recap of the Recap) today on the News Monitor. Don't miss it!

(Done. Up and ready. One minor site change included the addition of a Web Clip icon for Safari and Mobile Safari, the rest being all Uplink Report Highlights and Recap of the Recap.)

Last edited:
Fargo ND? thats about as pathetic as WFN-HD.

Still nothing in Tucson and theres 1M people here.. annoying dish ecomonics.

Does anyone know which sat that these [Columbia/Jefferson City, MO]will be on?

This is ONLY a guess, but I wonder if the smaller markets (Columbia, Joplin, Topeka, and maybe Wichita) in the MO/KS area will go on 61.5 spots that haven't been used yet. Kansas City, IMO, will stay on 129 when it goes spotbeam with Ciel-5. St Louis is the wild card - it's on 118.7 now (and may stay there after "western arc," for all I know). Anyone know what the future for 118.7 is?

Brad

I think it's all a matter of the spot beams (or possibly negotiation of contracts with the local affiliates). I mean here in Pennsylvania; Harrisburg/Lancaster/Lebanon/York is a MUCH larger media market than Scranton-Wilkes Barre... yet they are slated to come online this summer. The only thing that Scranton has going for it that Harrisburg doesn't is that Scranton is located in a much more central location in the NY/Philly spot; while it appears that Harrisburg is partially covered by the Philly/NYC beam, partially covered by the Balt/DC beam and the western fringe is outside of spot coverage all together. I don't know if that is the case in Tuscon as well... but that would be my guess.