DISH NETWORK slashes prices

The orange stuff is just conduit. They will come back later and run the fiber through it.

JIGGIEFLY said:
Wow another great deal for the new subs and my bill is still $112 a month makes me want to go back to rabbit ears for 12 buxs, And the hits keep coming

So, do you like what you get for $112/mo?

Could you get more satisfaction from another provider for $112/mo?

I pay $105/mo and I'm quite satisfied with what I get for it. I'm looking forward to paying another $5/mo (hopefully) to get more Voom channels before too long.

I'm not sure to what you are referring with your "the hits keep coming" comment. The last major change was the additional of the 10 Voom channels for $5/mo, which I feel is a great deal.

Between Verizon and other phone companies expanding their services, power companies starting to offer all of the above, and wireless improvements to go farther in the country, maybe we will see more competition to keep prices down. Programming prices are not dropping for the companies so the companies must be willing to make a lower profit and get more volume.

CCMoor said:
Do they ever give people who already have Dish offers? for lower prices?

What? Are you kidding? They know you are not likely to change as the initial hassle of switching any service is always dreaded. Besides, its much easier and cheaper to attract a new customer than to keep an existing one. Every expert will tell you that's not true so that's why they do it. :D

I don't think it's the idea of getting freebies as much as it is getting the option to upgrade. It's been beaten to death here that CSRs don't help much and each gives conflicting information. My request, as a 3 year subscriber, was to upgrade from my old 501 DVR to 625 or 942, and that I would PAY them for the privelege. Their answer? We can only upgrade you to a 301 (that's an upgrade?) or 811. Asking for 942 at a new subscriber cost, or even a little more, is not going to break them, but perhaps endear them to their current subs. Alas, common business sense takes a back seat....

troublefan said:
I don't think it's the idea of getting freebies as much as it is getting the option to upgrade. It's been beaten to death here that CSRs don't help much and each gives conflicting information. My request, as a 3 year subscriber, was to upgrade from my old 501 DVR to 625 or 942, and that I would PAY them for the privelege. Their answer? We can only upgrade you to a 301 (that's an upgrade?) or 811. Asking for 942 at a new subscriber cost, or even a little more, is not going to break them, but perhaps endear them to their current subs. Alas, common business sense takes a back seat....

That's why I'm gone come Friday when Comcast comes to hook me up. All they had to do was get me a 942. Oh well. Now I can pay the same amount for service that doesn't cut out during thunderstorms, doesn't need me to ship its box back 3 times, lets me record HDTV...

andrewe77 said:
That's why I'm gone come Friday when Comcast comes to hook me up. All they had to do was get me a 942.

Gee, all they had to do was to give you a $700 receiver and you were willing to continue to sub?

Wow, I wonder why they didn't think that was in their best interest???
;)

While they are at it, they could ship every one a free $700 receiver and then declare bankruptcy. I wonder why they don't do this???

troublefan said:
Asking for 942 at a new subscriber cost, or even a little more, is not going to break them, but perhaps endear them to their current subs. Alas, common business sense takes a back seat....

You are incorrect in your assumptions. Dish and DirecTV take large losses on new sub deals. That is part of the cost of acquiring new subs, just like all of the advertising cost is part of that cost.

They cannot offer new sub deals to large sets of current subs because the magnitude of those losses would make them unprofitable.

Just like if you get a big $250 discount on a cell phone that has a 2 yr mandatory sub attached to it. If you call them back after 1 year and try to get another heavily discounted phone, at new sub prices, you will be disappointed.

Try it with your cable company. New subs frequently get nice discounts, like say 50% off for 6 months. After a couple years, call them up and see if you can get another 6 months at half price.

If a company is losing money acquiring new customers, and losing money retaining current customers, then how could they make a profit?

The real common sense that is lacking is from customers who feel that they should have constant access to new customer deals, when that could not possibly be economically feasible for the company.

Tom Bombadil said:
Gee, all they had to do was to give you a $700 receiver and you were willing to continue to sub?

Wow, I wonder why they didn't think that was in their best interest???
;)

While they are at it, they could ship every one a free $700 receiver and then declare bankruptcy. I wonder why they don't do this???

Comcast is giving me an HD-DVR for free. So, what's the problem?

According to your logic, a company losing money with new subs AND with existing subs should not be in business in the first place. These companies do what they are doing because THEY CAN. No if, ands, or buts. You threaten to switch to cable or D*? They say "see ya". They can afford the loss of existing customers because they're making huge strides with newbies. A basic business tenet: keep your customers happy and your customers will take care of you. If DishNetwork is losing money, as you say, it's their own fault. You are correct though, in that these are my assumptions. I may be incorrect and I will gladly take facts and opinions that prove me wrong, but I believe NO COMPANY in America is doing business to lose money.

Again, I'm not looking for a freebie. I would be more than happy to pay. They do not even give the opportunity to gouge us. I would rather have the option to pay through the nose than no options at all.

I can get a "new" phone free every two years with cell phone companies. The same is not true of Dish. :)

Brad

That's because the profit margin for your cell phone provider is higher than what Dish makes from their subs.

If Dish charged more per month, then they could give away more freebies.

So everyone wanting more freebies should write to Dish and request a rate increase.

Also as far as basic receivers go, you can get a new one at low cost from Dish every couple of years if you want. I've seen several such offers over the years. I recently picked up an 811 on a lease for an upfront cost of $25 - and got half-price HD for a year on top of it. Over the years many subs have upgraded to DVRs on low-cost deals, usually after those receivers have been out a year or two, after Dish has recovered the R&D of producing them.

andrewe77 said:
Comcast is giving me an HD-DVR for free. So, what's the problem?

Is that their intro special? Just like Dish, Comcast also offers high-loss intro specials to attract new customers.

In a couple of years after subbing to them, you should try to get whatever their top-of-the-line HD DVR is then free of charge. Come back and tell us if you are successful.

Tom Bombadil said:
Is that their intro special? Just like Dish, Comcast also offers high-loss intro specials to attract new customers.

I will answer for him, no, you could be a new sub, old sub, whatever, say you had their ( Comcast ) SD Digital Box and you call them up and say I just upgraded my TV to a new HD one and I would like a new box, then they would either set up a appointment to bring one or go to your local office to exchange it out and all you have to do is pay the lease fee. ( my lease fee for the 6412 is the same as what E* charges for the 942 but without the $250.00 right to pay a monthly lease fee. )

Tom Bombadil said:
In a couple of years after subbing to them, you should try to get whatever their top-of-the-line HD DVR is then free of charge. Come back and tell us if you are successful.

Yep, in my area the old HD-DVR was the 6408 ( single tuner ), the 'new' one is the 6412 ( dual-tuner ), if you want to upgrade to it, call them up.

I am sorry if you do not have a good cable company where you are to compare, but areas that have great cable companies, E* can not compare, since I switched four months ago, I have not looked back. ( except I was still getting the E* HD pack which I am dropping because can we say, need new content on the Voom channels )

Tom Bombadil said:
That's their SOP. Wanna new receiver? Bring in the old one, and they'll exchange it. Can't come in? They'll send somebody out to swap it. Of course, there may be an installation if someone comes out. But, the equipment is free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts