DISH Network Statement on Satellite Act of 2009

Well then I don't understand the proposed changes here. If someone in a short market DMA can technically get that missing network from a neighboring DMA but would have to install some monster on the roof to get it, then that wouldn't fix their short market problem. The way the proposed changes read to me is that they will allow satellite providers to import a distant signal for all people in a short market regardless of the waiver process. People not in a short market would still have the waiver process of course. But maybe I am reading it wrong (wishful thinking perhaps).

But there are areas with digital now where getting the other nets ISNT feasible

Mankato is an example....If you live in the Mankato DMA the Mpls stations were fuzzy on analog. Now they stop short a good 20 miles away.

This will allow Dish to be on the same playing field as Direct and import neighboring locals to fill a DMA that is short. Right now Dish can only send a person to AAD to get missing locals if they are missing.

This would allow Dish to get all 210 DMA's in SD (all with 4 nets)...bandwidth limitations apply ;)

Please forgive my stupidity, but I remember the whole AAD back when I was with dish, but i never understood why it did not seem to affect Directv. Now other then alot of customer had to loose there DNS channels and get waivers.

I disagree. Dish should not be allowed to undermine your local network affiliate by bringing in a signal from a nearby DMA. If you can pick it up with an antenna then mount an antenna.

I don't think it undermines the local affiliate at all. In Lafayette, IN D* imports the Indy ABC, NBC and FOX stations but supplies the Lafayette CBS. From my understanding Dish can only import networks that aren't in your DMA.

What needs to be fixed is that if you are in a market without a network, yet are in the range of an out of market stations, you should be able to either get the out of market you could get with an antenna or a replacement network be put in for the whole DMA.

It is silly that you cannot get an out of market because you could get it with a monster antenna in theory, yet your market does not have that station available.

If a market does not have a network affliate, the DBS company should be able to pick an adjancent market substitute affliate, or perhaps multiple at the DBS company's choosing without having to get a waiver for all the subs in the DMA.

For example the Sherman/Ardmore/Ada market does not have an ABC station. The northern part could receive ABC from OKC OTA, the southern part from Dallas OTA. The DBS company should be able to pick either OKC or Dallas, or perhaps provide both like cable does in a lot of towns in the DMA. If an ABC goes on the air in the DMA then the DBS company would have to cease providing the out of market signals.

Distants would not be needed any more, every DMA would get all the big 4.

Superstations should be permitted as long as the stations want to remain superstations.

I don't think it undermines the local affiliate at all. In Lafayette, IN D* imports the Indy ABC, NBC and FOX stations but supplies the Lafayette CBS. From my understanding Dish can only import networks that aren't in your DMA.

as of right now Dish cant import ANYTHING that isnt technically assigned to your DMA

For example the Sherman/Ardmore/Ada market does not have an ABC station. The northern part could receive ABC from OKC OTA, the southern part from Dallas OTA. The DBS company should be able to pick either OKC or Dallas, or perhaps provide both like cable does in a lot of towns in the DMA. If an ABC goes on the air in the DMA then the DBS company would have to cease providing the out of market signals.

before Dish lost the ability to provide SV or distants they had Fox & ABC from Dallas in that market. Fox has been added due to the subchannel but there is still no ABC there

as of right now Dish cant import ANYTHING that isnt technically assigned to your DMA

I understand that, my statement was assuming this bill becomes law and Dish can do what Directv can. Am I wrong in that this new bill will allow Dish to import again?

I was just clarifying to the post that said importing out of DMA stations would undermine the affiliates in the DMA. I assume that Dish would HAVE to carry the local affiliates in the DMA and could only import affiliates outside of the DMA that are not in the DMA.

If this is the case, does that mean that Dish will have to carry the affiliates in the DMA BEFORE they can import, or can they import as soon as this bill becomes law (hoping it does). I have a feeling Dish will be slow to get contracts with all the stations in the small DMAs, but importing should be relatively simple, at least in my case since the Lafayette DMA is surrounded by the Indy DMA spotbeam.

Don't understand

I am in the Wheeling Steubenville DMA. Neither D or Dish has us. Will the new Bill force them to pick us up? We have all four networks now. Because of the hills and woods OTA will not always work.

Will This Allow Border Counties to Get "In-State" DMA Channels?

My in-laws live in Clay County, NC -- one of NC's smallest counties in the southwest corner of the state near the Georgia and Tennessee border. They are the only NC county in the Atlanta DMA and absolutely hate it -- they hear no NC news and they say there aren't even any severe weather crawls from the Atlanta stations for Clay County. OTA reception in most of Clay County is all but non-existent due to distance and mountainous terrain -- weak signals from Chattanooga are basically it along with some weak translator signals from the Asheville NC station. My in-laws would love to at least get the ABC station from Asheville to get some NC news and weather, but would settle for the Chattanooga locals -- again, they hate having the Atlanta locals. The local newspaper has even had a couple of stories over the years about how "local stations" have been defined for their satellite viewers. So, will this bill enable them to get "neighboring locals"? Most of these folks know about "moving", but they prefer doing things 100% legally -- no gray area.

Eric

My in-laws live in Clay County, NC -- one of NC's smallest counties in the southwest corner of the state near the Georgia and Tennessee border. They are the only NC county in the Atlanta DMA and absolutely hate it -- they hear no NC news and they say there aren't even any severe weather crawls from the Atlanta stations for Clay County. OTA reception in most of Clay County is all but non-existent due to distance and mountainous terrain -- weak signals from Chattanooga are basically it along with some weak translator signals from the Asheville NC station. My in-laws would love to at least get the ABC station from Asheville to get some NC news and weather, but would settle for the Chattanooga locals -- again, they hate having the Atlanta locals. The local newspaper has even had a couple of stories over the years about how "local stations" have been defined for their satellite viewers. So, will this bill enable them to get "neighboring locals"? Most of these folks know about "moving", but they prefer doing things 100% legally -- no gray area.

Eric

My primary gripe with the bill - it will not. Only VT and NH seem to have special provisions. I had expected the bill to be broader - if 3 out of 4 of your major network affiliates are out of state - you should be allowed an instate DMA.

If this is the case, does that mean that Dish will have to carry the affiliates in the DMA BEFORE they can import, or can they import as soon as this bill becomes law (hoping it does). I have a feeling Dish will be slow to get contracts with all the stations in the small DMAs, but importing should be relatively simple, at least in my case since the Lafayette DMA is surrounded by the Indy DMA spotbeam.

Yeah I still can't ascertain from this bill text if Dish will be able to bring in that missing network for short markets for ALL subs in the short market OR if the sub would still be required to get that damn waiver and THEN Dish could go ahead and provide that missing network from a neighboring or distant DMA for that subscriber only, basically on a per sub basis.

I understand that, my statement was assuming this bill becomes law and Dish can do what Directv can. Am I wrong in that this new bill will allow Dish to import again?
correct but its only networks to fill in a market

I was just clarifying to the post that said importing out of DMA stations would undermine the affiliates in the DMA. I assume that Dish would HAVE to carry the local affiliates in the DMA and could only import affiliates outside of the DMA that are not in the DMA.

correct...they would import the other 3 networks from (in your case) Indy + your local CBS

The kicker in regards to importing I'm assuming its just "the big 4" and not stations like CW or My. They can already carry the National PBS in markets where there is no PBS

The kicker in regards to importing I'm assuming its just "the big 4" and not stations like CW or My. They can already carry the National PBS in markets where there is no PBS

DBS companies only really care about the big 4. The CW/My have never protested superstation coverage. It is only the big 4 that work hard to keep the signals restricted, the other guys are desparate to be noticed.

My primary gripe with the bill - it will not. Only VT and NH seem to have special provisions. I had expected the bill to be broader - if 3 out of 4 of your major network affiliates are out of state - you should be allowed an instate DMA.

I sent Congressman Olver and email on this very issue yesterday. I am awaiting a reply.

this is a sad day for customers of dish
I wish we could get neighboring dmas like me since knoxville tenn also covers my market and while their at it ADD WYMT damn*t we as customers should be able to get more then one dma like cable tv offers

Upgrading to dish 1000.2

Diplexers / Remotes ETC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)