Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
It seems like not to long ago, I posted a message abut DIRECTV suing DISH Network over it's ads.

Now the shoes is on the other foot. DISH is suing DIRECTV over it's ads including the new To Tell The Truth Ads.

DISH Networks lawsuit is attached below...

Your thoughts please.

Attachments

• DISH Network answer affirmative defenses and counterclaims.pdf
    221.3 KB · Views: 251
I figured the "truce" between them, united against cablecos, was only temporary. Wish it was still on.

Just like when Direct sued Dish, this should not be brought to the courts. Let them fight it out in the market, like they have been doing.

I said all along that the best thing for Direct to do was to fire back at Dish with their commercials, and now I will say the same about Dish. The best thing for them to do is to fire back at Direct with commercials of their own.

A good example is the current DirecTV, "To Tell The Truth" commercial where Direct claims to have more full time HD Channels. This is true when you count PPV and RSNs. What Dish should do is something similar to what Direct is doing to counter Dish's "Same TV for Less" claim; Dish should simply do a commercial listing all of the HD channels that they have that Direct does not. This alone will be effective and counter DirecTV's "More full time HD" claim.

I think both CEO's should get together and have a mud wrestling event, and the winner is declared the winner... maybe they can do it for Charity.

I said it when DIRECTV first sued Dish over their ads, that this was probably not a can of worms that they wanted to open...

I have said it before and I will say it again... they BOTH lie in their ads.

DN feels threaten by the DTV ads, classic and funny at the same time.

I think both CEO's should get together and have a mud wrestling event, and the winner is declared the winner... maybe they can do it for Charity.

I said it when DIRECTV first sued Dish over their ads, that this was probably not a can of worms that they wanted to open...

I have said it before and I will say it again... they BOTH lie in their ads.
And Direct does not want to open the can using their latest ad (is too late now). If Direct really wants to compare HD channels, Dish will crush them. Face it, most people do not care about RSNs and PPVs.

When I saw this commercial, I just put my head down and said, "this is not a road you want to go down." The other "To Tell the Truth" commercials are fairly creative though.

Competition. this is AWESOME! We all know what means, it just benefits us the customers.
Competition benefits the customers, but these lawsuits don't. The only parties that benefit from these things are the lawyers. Who do you think pays them in the end? We do.

Dish Files Countersuit Against DirecTV Over HD Claims

Dish Files Countersuit Against DirecTV Over HD Claims
Dish Charges Bigger DBS Operator With False Advertising
by Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 3/22/2010 9:46:18 PM

The slugfest between DirecTV and Dish Network over marketing claims continued, as Dish filed a countersuit Monday charging the larger operator with falsely advertising its HD services.

Dish alleged that several DirecTV ads are misleading because they tout HD but conclude by showing a price -- $29.99 per month -- for a basic package that includes no HD channels.

In addition, Dish complained that the bigger satellite operator falsely implies that it offers more than 200 HD channels. "DirecTV has repeatedly advertised that it has the capacity for 200 channels of HD programming, without clarifying that DirecTV does not actually offer 200 channels, in a manner that is likely to mislead consumers," Dish said in its suit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

Dish's countersuit comes after DirecTV last month filed suit in the same court over Dish's "Why Pay More" ad campaign, which implies that customers can get a channel lineup from Dish for only $39.99 per month comparable to one from DirecTV for $63.99 per month. The court denied DirecTV's emergency injunction to stop the ads and found that it failed to prove a "likelihood of success on the merits."

Meanwhile, DirecTV now is running a TV ad campaign aimed at countering Dish's "Why Pay More?" ads. The DirecTV spots feature Jeopardy's Alex Trebek hosting a game show called "To Tell the Truth" with three contestants: "cable," DirecTV and Dish.

In one of the spots, the Dish representative says, "We offer the same TV as DirecTV, for less." The DirecTV rep jumps in: "Does ‘the same' include channels like AMC, Animal Planet, Bravo, FX --" The Dish rep concedes, "Not in our basic package, like yours."

Dish in its countersuit reiterated that its original ads compared the Dish America's Top 120 package with DirecTV's Choice package, whereas the DirecTV "To Tell the Truth" spots attempt to compare the Dish AT120 and DirecTV Choice Xtra tiers.

Dish's countersuit seeks an injunction blocking the DirecTV ads in question as well as unspecified monetary damages.

DirecTV representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The case is docket no. 10-CV-01138 in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York

Does Directv have more full time HD channels?
Does Dish have more fees than anybody?
Does a ten pound sack of flour make a really big biscuit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)