Dish Network Tech Chat (Feb 21st)

You guys kill me with your loyalty to Charlie. These chats (and Charlie's promises) haven't changed a bit since I left back during the SuperDish/HD fiasco (18 months ago).

I swear they'd get more accurate information by letting a chimp arbitrarily pull choices from a hat for release dates, features, upcoming technology, etc.. and present that to the public as fact.

SlicerMDM said:
You guys kill me with your loyalty to Charlie.

But there's starting to be some cracks appearing. I've seen more and more E* backers say enough is enough and leave for other providers. If E* folks really monitor this and other DBS sites, and they still continue to act the way they do, all it shows is that E* gives a rats a** for their customers and will do whatever they want.

I hear that.
Waiting to see what unfolds with V and D. I don't want to jump ship until D gets their feet wet in the dvr field and I see first hand that their receivers are reasonable and solid. As for V well enough has been written.

DucTape said:
I hear that.
Waiting to see what unfolds with V and D. I don't want to jump ship until D gets their feet wet in the dvr field and I see first hand that their receivers are reasonable and solid. As for V well enough has been written.

D* has a nicely working DVR product family now, why wait, start to enjoy now. I have two SD Tivo's and a HD Tivo and they all work without any problems.

rad said:
D* has a nicely working DVR product family now, why wait, start to enjoy now. I have two SD Tivo's and a HD Tivo and they all work without any problems.

I'm sure they do, but D* also has the worst HD PQ of the sat. providers, so pick your poison.

NightRyder

I haven't personally kept up with the alleged broken promises and so forth that come out of the Charlie Chat and Tech Chat forums, but you can bet that the E* lawyers are concerned.

Even a hint of an SEC investigation into misleading technical forecasts intended to (wrongly) influence investments, mergers, etc. can quickly become a nightmare. The first thing that would happen would be a shutdown of these "Chat" programs. Of course, some of you may prefer that! ;)

True but if I remember correctly they will be coming out with their own line of DVR's and will be only "supporting" Tivo units. To me this means one thing only, keeping Tivo around long enough to get their unit's up and running and using the Tivo name for additional sales potential.

Announcing and then not delivering is something that happens. But it is controlable... just do NOT announce it until the units are out in Beta. Keep mouths shut. Just say they'll put it on the wish list.

Barry Erick said:
Announcing and then not delivering is something that happens. But it is controlable... just do NOT announce it until the units are out in Beta. Keep mouths shut. Just say they'll put it on the wish list.

What disappoints me is Dish has been announcing / promising this service for a year now it seems, and still no true delivery date. I guess if Charlie said we will have a good idea by next tech chat when it will be available that's one thing but to say it will be done is another. Now it could be anywhere from today until 12-31-05 that it shows up. I hope Dish understands that not only is it a feature a lot of people want, but also that it's good to keep credibility with their customers after promising it time and time again.

In my opinion we should just give up on the whole issue of NBR, as well as compelling HD programming, the Mpeg 4 transition, and anything else we hope and wish for w/ Dish Network. I'm not even gonna worry about anymore. I'll just take any news as it comes, ignore anything promised, and forget about getting answers. There is nothing that excites me about this company anymore, except THE END OF MY CONTRACT.

And that, my fellow Satellite Enthusiest's, WILL HAPPEN. This I know for sure.

The spill.

:) Did anyone happen to notice the guy on the left spilling his drink on some papers on the table they sit at? This happened when they were trying to answer a question from someone on the phone. About the only thing that made me laugh during the chat was him trying to cover it up. :)

Does the 921 still have the bug where the dvi and component outs will work together if you pause or rewind a few seconds?

I remember reading this a few months ago. If true, its a bug I could live with!

Somehow the 721/921 got off the hook on the NBR addition. I guess thats because there are fewer owners of those than the other DVR's but it would be pretty stupid for them to be the only DVR to not have NBR when they were some of the most expensive ones made. It just seems like Dish is only doing what they can get by with when it comes to the software.

Coffee Spill

gasman882001 said:
:) Did anyone happen to notice the guy on the left spilling his drink on some papers on the table they sit at?

Yep, sure did. I think it happened when the caller mentioned Satellite Guys !

jmd102354 said:
gasman882001 said:
:) Did anyone happen to notice the guy on the left spilling his drink on some papers on the table they sit at?

Yep, sure did. I think it happened when the caller mentioned Satellite Guys !

I got it recorded from the smart card demo on so I'll have to watch that again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts