DISH Network(TM) Offers Consumers High-Speed Internet Options

Jimmy Dean

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Southern Cali
September 21, 2006 11:39 AM Pacific Time
DISH Network(TM) Offers Consumers High-Speed Internet Options; Launch of GetConnected, Inc.'s Platform Allows Consumers to Shop for DISH Network Programming and DSL Service at the Same Time
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 21, 2006--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service today announced that consumers now have the option to sign up for DSL high-speed Internet service while choosing their DISH Network programming. Customers can take advantage of this offer either through their local DISH Network retailer or by visiting www.dishnetwork.com.

The functionality is made possible by technology from GetConnected, Inc., a point-of-sale platform that searches for current offers available from high-speed Internet service providers based on a customer's home address and telephone number. Where available, customers can select and purchase DSL high-speed Internet service at the most current prices in the marketplace from well-known and trusted brands.

"DISH Network is committed to providing consumers with more choices and more ways to save," said Jim DeFranco, executive vice president at DISH Network. "As the lowest-priced, all-digital TV provider in the nation, we already offer consumers the best value in television programming. Now we've made it easier for consumers to find their best options for high-speed Internet at competitive prices as well."

EchoStar joins a comprehensive list of retailers, major DSL service providers, and Internet service providers that use GetConnected to offer a combination of video and data services.

For more information or to subscribe to DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com, call 800-333-DISH (3474) or visit a local DISH Network retailer.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 12.46 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest-growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 800-333-DISH (3474).

About GetConnected

GetConnected offers the leading transaction processing platform for enabling the sale of digital services. Integrated with over 25 of the nation's largest service providers, the GetConnected platform provides end-to-end order management infrastructure that enables retailers, e-tailers and call centers to effectively sell video, voice, data and entertainment services. Customers including AOL, Best Buy, Circuit City, Dell and RadioShack use the GetConnected platform to grow digital service sales through customized shopping experiences and automated order management. Partners such as AT&T, Cingular, Comcast, Verizon and Time Warner Cable leverage the GetConnected platform for cost effective, yet customized indirect channel sales solutions. GetConnected is headquartered in Boston, MA. For more information, please visit http://www.getconnectedinc.com.

Prices will very depending on your local DSL provider(Phone Company). This just allows Dish to place a order at the same time you set up service with them.There is no bundling discount and you will be billed by the DSL provider.(TWO BILLS) some areas have many different options(Yahoo,earthlink,ATT) some have none.

Hmm, this is kind of a cheap "feature" or "service"

So they just help you search for the cheapest DSL in your area? That is it?

I guess it helps a little those with Cable who think they can't change, but that is pretty lame. They should at least offer some kind of partnership or bundling discount.

dlsnyder said:
Does this mean that they are moving away from strategic partnerships like the one they have with AT&T?

No not at all.this is for customers who live in areas where the parterships are not available or customer not quailfyed to get bundling.The AT&T partership has went well for both sides and i see this continuing for many years

That is LAME. If there were some sort of discount being offered then E* might have something. But this does nothing for an E* subscriber. Also having had DSL and now cable modem, there is NO comparison. DSL is just slightly better than dial up. And that's being generous.

It's not lame if you really think about it. I see this as E*'s first move towards IPTV. Let's face it. The more their customers have DSL, the more DSL-like features they can hook their DVR's up to. You have to think about the big picture and not just what it brings to the here and now.

ChetK said:
It's not lame if you really think about it. I see this as E*'s first move towards IPTV. Let's face it. The more their customers have DSL, the more DSL-like features they can hook their DVR's up to. You have to think about the big picture and not just what it brings to the here and now.

Then it would seem to me that if your statement had a factual basis, then E* would be offering customers real incentives to hook up with their DSL offerings instead of providing a half a**ed search engine to locate all DSL providers in the subscribers geographic area and no financial incentive to switch to DSL. If this is E*'s "first move towards IPTV" as you describe it, then it's more like a baby crawl and the baby is crawling backwards.

minnow said:
That is LAME. If there were some sort of discount being offered then E* might have something. But this does nothing for an E* subscriber. Also having had DSL and now cable modem, there is NO comparison. DSL is just slightly better than dial up. And that's being generous.

wow... you must have had really good dialup... where I used to live the fastest we could get dialup to connect was 24.4... not quite fast enough to do.... well anything. DSL does a lot better than dialup in a lot of areas. Also... the DSL provider in this area is offer 6Meg DSL that in my testing was more stable and closer to the advertised speed than my 5Meg Cable service is.

Just as with any provider.. there are different speeds you can pay for. My parents went from 1.5 DSL to 3Meg Cable and yeah, it was faster... but not exactly a fair comparison.

Just my .02

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)