Dish Network to Carry 80 Channel Racetrack Network

I wonder if these are the same tracks that are carried by TVG except they don't go from track to track they are dedicated? Are they allowing OTB? I've watched and used TVG on D* a few times but just couldn't get in to it. Nothing like losing my money without ever leaving my couch.

Its nice but.....

RTN currently has about 40 tracks on Galaxy3. This deal will theoretically double the tracks and lower the price in half. BUT, they currently do not have all tracks. There still is a pissing contest b/t TVG, HRTV and the horsemen. So if they align with HRTV, they still may be missing some major tracks. Just have to see what the contracts are.

I've seen those channels on G3 before when the few times they forget to encrypt them...actually pretty fun

And some of those channels are reused for tracks that are daytime only versus nightime only

DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) today announced that it has entered into a long-term agreement with Racetrack Television Network (RTN) and HorseRacing TV (HRTV) for the creation of a subscription racing package.
I thought RTN stood for Retro Television Network. :mad:

....The subscription package will be offered to DISH Network(R) subscribers under the brand name "Racetrack Television Network," and will consist of up to 80 channels of live thoroughbred, quarterhorse, harness and greyhound racing. ....
Bzzzzt... Yet another offer from Dish that will be easy for me to ignore.

Talon Dancer

Can't imagine there would ever be 80 on at the same time.
you'be surprised at how many feeds are out there on a given race day. From Weds through Sunday there may be as many as 50 to 60 tracks operating at the same time.
Just walk into a Vegas racebook or OTB shop and you'll see.

You can always buy the sports package and watch all of the races on the RSNs. I am sure most of those 80 are just races shown on the RSNs anyway.
No...These are actual live feeds from the tracks themsleves that are provided to simulcast outlets and OTB shops across the country. I go to horse racing websites and forums. There are a lot of horse players who prefer to wager from home. For them this is a bonus.

I love the horse racing channels, HRTV just blathers and kills time, rather watch the feeds from the tracks. But I don't love it enough to subscribe to "____network" to get it.

This is interesting. I might go for the top 12 pack, if they carry all the major tracks. I could still bet through TVG. To get the full benefit a person would have to set up a bank of TVs, maybe 4 or so, to carry the east, south, midwest and west simultaneously.

Will these channels pay for themselves? I think not; so it looks like a price hike for the rest of us is the near future.

P.S. Most of the horse players I know are old and decrepit. Most don't even watch TV; much less have a satellite dish.

A horse is a horse of course, of course unless that horse is racing on TV screens in Georgia. Betting won't be legal in the Peach State. We've upset some folks too much already by offering a lottery.
And don't even think about buying beer on Sunday at the grocery store!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)