Dish Network to Discount OTA Antennas for HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have an install scheduled...

Update: I finally got a CSR who knew the real deal! Getting the Square Shooter SS-1000 installed on Saturday and they talked me into the 211 upgrade as well.

Thanks for the help.

- Stew

Not in Providence?

I called Dish, and they said the deal is not available in Providence:mad:. Is this true, or should I try another CSR?:hungry:

Carrying stations is contractual, not a free-for-all. In Dish's eyes, the stations they aren't carrying may want "too much" $$$.

My tv antenna on my roof is not much bigger (if at all) than my satellite dish. I live on two acres and the antenna is not even noticeable from the road. I have a CM4228. A flat mesh looking square antenna. It works really well at about 30 miles out from my stations and I have pine trees surrounding the house.

I mounted one of these in my attic on a tee I made out of 2 X 4s. Secured it to the trusses after I aimed it, no worry about wind shear, not visible from anywhere, and being 15 miles from the towers I get a signal reading of 100% on most of the locals. Great picture and makes 3 tuners very usable.

Finally got info from Dish about the program and they gave me 3 phone numbers. By the way, after 5 calls, I got transferred to tech support and they knew about the offer. I called the first phone number, TDS Telecom, they had no idea what I was talking about. The second installer said he only got $25 for the install from Dish, so he didn't want to do it. The third guy said I probably couldn't get anything, making it obvious he didn't want to come out. So my questions are as follow. When I go to antennaweb, the colors are blue and violet, with the mileage being anywhere from 26 to 63 miles away. What are my chances of getting a decent signal? If anybody in central VT, is getting anything off of MT Mansfield's new towers, let me know. Also, I'm assuming this is a voluntary program for the installers to participate in? Thanks for any help

When I go to antennaweb, the colors are blue and violet, with the mileage being anywhere from 26 to 63 miles away. What are my chances of getting a decent signal?
Go to AVS Forums, start here, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45, and look for your area. See what others have done, what they can get, etc, etc.
Also, I'm assuming this is a voluntary program for the installers to participate in?
Some areas, Ohio, for example, have a company that does all non-retail initiated work, service calls, etc. What that means is if you order from Dish, these guys do the work. If you order from Joe's Satellite, a Dish retailer, he likely has his own people that do the work. It sound like you're calling resellers. It's possible Dish doesn't have a dedicated group for your area....

Is this deal still available? I want the Square Shooter 2000 so that's $119 installed (live in Louisville). Called CSR and she had no idea. Said 1) You can't order it through Dish 2) Yes you can but there's a seperate fee on top of antenna purchase 3) Could not find promotion on Dish website so didn't believe me.
What to do now? I'm moving to new house and they are installing dish anyways so I want to get both installed at same time.

Wow, you talked to a CSR who new about the deal? If you haven't ordered your dish yet, try going through a reseller instead of Dish. I think that is your best chance. Once I got hold of a CSR who knew what was going on, I got 3 phone #'s of dealers around who would do it. One guy came right out and told me he didn't want to do it, because dish only gives him $25. Another company said they don't do it at all (TDS Telecom). The third guy said to call the people who installed your dish, he also stated that because of where I lived, Barre VT (small town in a valley about 30 miles from signal,antenna web said I need a large directional antenna.but I digress.) I wouldn't get a signal anyway. I then pointed out to him that about a month ago when he didn't know I was a Dish customer and a member here who was informed, he said it would cost me $350 or so and he had success in Barre. That business relationship went south fast. Anyway my point is call a reseller. Good Luck, after all the time I wasted on the phone, the $350 seems like a bargain.

I have a question, installation of this external antenna, will that require be part of the Dish, meaning that the channels would transmit to my 622 receiver and to both rooms??

Also, would those channels be available for DVR?

Thanks!!

Is this something I can install myself? I think I can just am not sure how the the coaxial from the OTA goes - does it go in the switch, I guess i would need a new switch.

Thanks.

Is this something I can install myself? I think I can just am not sure how the the coaxial from the OTA goes - does it go in the switch, I guess i would need a new switch.

Thanks.

There is a connection on the rear of the 622, just run the coax from the antenna to the 622, that is what I did.

Thanks Dave - is there a easy to install antenna you can recommend, seems like the prices Dish mentioned are extremely high.

Actually another quick question guys, if I use that coaxial behind the Vip 622 and connect a Indoor Antenna - will that work too for the DVR as well? Since the indoor antenna gives me all the channels great.

UPdate: I actually tried it and it works great.

Got 33 channels - and signal ranges from 77 - 100

Is that pretty good?

Last edited:
The prices from Dish do include installation. Call a local antenna installer and get a quote for the same antennas that Dish is offering plus installation. I'll bet Dish is cheaper....

I see you already had success with an indoor antenna. They can definitely be hit or miss. Before you proclaim success, walk between the antenna and where the towers are. Unless you mount it high enough, you can get things that will cause interference. I ended up putting an indoor antenna in my attic and it did real well.

Thanks Hall - yeah what Im going to do is put the antenna on the side of the room where no walks across it, but first will go get the Philips PHDTV3 to try, the results with the PHDTV1 were great, but PHDTV3 is smaller in size so might be easier to place.

Now, I got my mind thinking and ccame up with a idea, what if I set for TV instead of Cable to Air in the modular setup.

Then connect a antenna to TV2, would it pick up both the Dish channels and OTA HD channels from the antenna for independent viewing?

Thanks.

Well, here's my experience on this promo. First rep didn't know anything about it and couldn't find any info on Dish's website for promos. Talked to someone who said it could be done, but I'd have an additional fee for the install. Also, could not have this installed with Dish Mover install. Not right. Called back later. Second rep said it couldn't be done and didn't know anything about promo. Emailed CEO. CEO did call me. Questioned where I heard about promo (I said Scott on Satelliteguys, LOL) and tried to deny existence. Then said they could do it but I could only have the Sensar GS-1100, and I wanted the Square Shooter. Whatever, $49.99 and it's supposed to be installed along with my Dish Mover install on Monday. I'm about 99% sure this will get screwed up.

Wish I had a direct pdf or a website link I could refer to when calling.

Maybe I'll be surprised but based on previous installations, they are never easy, never are right the first time and usually result in a series of calls to CSRs that don't know much about anything that isn't on a script. I'll let you know how it pans. . .

Well, I got a great installer. He brought out the Square-shooter which is what I requested when I talked to the CEO from Dish over the phone. CEO said I couldn't get that antenna, only the cheap $49 Winegard. My area needs a blue/red antenna range from antennaweb and she's making me get one that's in the yellow range (limited distance) only? Whatever, thought I'd try it and see what happens.
Glad the installer knew what was up. Said the other antenna was junk and wouldn't work in my area (which I knew). Said the Squareshooter was the best antenna he had and was a piece of cake to install which is why he brought it. He got it up, had pretty poor OTA signals and offered to come back next day and try again. He did and moved antenna up to top of roof and now I get everything great with the exception of NBC which goes in and out, but still better than my indoor antenna. Other channels are crystal.
At this time, I've only been charged for the Winegard at $49 and not the Squareshooter which is almost double.

Moral of story. Dish reps know nothing about this promotion. Email CEO and hope you get a call back and then hope the installer puts in what works instead of what Dish says they should. This promotion was mess, but in the end I'm happy. Can't wait for college football in HD in fall! Good luck

I just got the royal shaft it seems from the local guy here. He sent two kids that can't be 20 years old to install a Terk HD antennae

I can get 4 PBS channels, lol.......woot but I assume it's just not pointed where it's needed to be. They are coming back but I think I might need to get a refund/remove this mess and get another installer to come with the right stuff

any ideas ?

oh, it cost me 200 bucks and I have really nothing to show for it and they used the amp and I read don't use that after they left so I removed it

ughhhhhh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)