Dish Network to Launch New Music Channel

Scott Greczkowski said:
If we wanted them posted in the public then we would have posted them in the public. :)

Well then maybe us mere pond scum need to do our looking and posting at one of the other two forums where one is not expected to pay tribute. !protest

Sorry got to pay the bills somehow. Go an pay to look at their 622 review. :)

Not every bit of information I can post publicly such as this one as it could easily be traced back to its source.

That's B.S. If your posting it in the "pub" area then your publicly posting the info. and it can get out just as easy. For $20.00 a year you'll let me in on the little secret and trust I won't spill the beans ? B.S. !!

Stargazer said:
Seems interesting that Dish would get with Sirius to add a channel but may drop their channels too.

Exactly, that's why I think this is a load of BS. If there was trouble between their relationship, I can't imagine they'd be launching a channel together. It's too bad Scott won't tell us more, but it's probably not true because I remember hearing something about this a year ago as well.

There's no grounds to back it up as true. It's just a silly rumor that I think has very little chance of being true.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Sorry got to pay the bills somehow. Go an pay to look at their 622 review. :)

Not every bit of information I can post publicly such as this one as it could easily be traced back to its source.

I'd imagine the majority of people here (including myself) would not know how, or much less have the desire, to trace one of your souces. I think we'd just like to know what's going on, especially after your "VIP Members" are dropping hints in the free forum. This is an issue that may cause people to drop Dish, it's fairly significant.

I would think we should just "wait and see" after all what good does it do to get all upset about things you can't control?

I dont see Sirius going anywhere on Dish, earlier in the week I was in contact with a few folks from Sirius who seemed to hint the Dish deal was on the rocks. (Well they did do more then hint)

As you may or may not know Dish Network is no longer selling Sirius Radios, also Dish Network dealers are no longer selling Sirius radios. Also these retailers are not getting paid on new activations of Sirius radios and their Sirius Showroom receivers have been turned off.

The information they gave me seemed to point that it was "possible" that the Sirius Music channels could be off of Dish by this summer.

I don't think it is going to happen, and personally I think this "info" came out as they are probably in contract negoations now.

I did ask Dish Network for comment on this and was told it was company policy not to discuss contract negoations.

Sorry for sounding gruff earlier, I have been pulling whats left of my hair out today as at my office out main server blew up and I have been working all day (and all night) trying to get everything back online. I am still here now working on it.

Interesting Scott. Thanks for sharing that. I guess one could assume that since Dish and Sirius announced today they are launching a channel together, they have worked out whatever issues they might have had? Plus with XM being on Directv now, Sirius needs the equal exposure. It's a win-win for all for the channels to stay on E*.

Part of the issue is Sirius is losing sales because of their core music service being available for free. I know Mel K does not like giving anything away for free. :)

As I told them I would like to see them add the 2 stern channels as a subscription package for $3.99 a month. :)

minnow said:
Well then maybe us mere pond scum need to do our looking and posting at one of the other two forums where one is not expected to pay tribute. !protest

Geez... No one is making you come here... Scott set up the site, pays for it's operation, and provides plenty of free access areas... seems resonable to have one pay area. It's not Scott that makes these initial posts that points to the pub area. I've never seen him put teasers in the free area saying there's juicy info in the pub... here, he merely responded to somone asking for pub info to be posted here.

If it really upsets you so, set up your own site, spend your own money, develop your own contacts, get 1000's of people to come to your site, and show everyone how it ought to be done.

Everyone has a right to his own opinion, but it does amaze me how someone can have that attitude.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Part of the issue is Sirius is losing sales because of their core music service being available for free. I know Mel K does not like giving anything away for free. :)

As I told them I would like to see them add the 2 stern channels as a subscription package for $3.99 a month. :)

Ok, well then E* needs to pay Sirius money for the channels because they are top quality and the music is great. Dish dropping Sirius would cause me to drop Dish.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Not only that but I have friends who have E* and love the sirius channels on E* because they are not as compressed lower quality sounding as the satellite radio versions. Since E* gets their feeds directly from Sirius via Fiber if Im not mistaken... that has to hurt Sirius, if the satellite radio version is not as great which means people will listen at home on E* instead of subscribing.

What I would like to see DISH do is continue with the Music Sirius Chan as is but offer the "rest" of the Sirius chan as a subscription option over their SAT. I would get this added in a heartbeat. I do use the music I have not jumped into the SAT radio yet but would quickly if I didn't need to buy more hardware and set it up for the house. I know it is not mcuh but I don't need more stuff in the AV center. Give me the rest as an option at a fair price and I am sure that there would be enough subscribers to benifit both Sirius and Dish.

Boy I hope this isn't true. I don't know if I could go a Summer without hearing all of Buffett's live shows on Radio Margaritaville! I also love the Sirius channels and listen to several everyday (First Wave rocks!). I would pitch in a few extra bucks a month to keep what we have and possibly add Howard's 2 stations, plus the other talk and sports channels.

hi im new .......nice site, does dish own any content rights currently, due they produce content now for rebroadcasting over other platforms.....?

this sounds like a new revenue stream content production and sales via (wdmg)

i read a very interesting article on the current direction of record contracts along with the collective rights obtained by the labels,its from one of the leading industry lawyer's on content/rights will paste it below.....

i have read information that indicates some artist may be under management currently, as ymc is listed as the contact for a couple artist

also strange, did you know tha radio shack has obtained the right to broadcast
check out day two of the investors conference from the 17th february listen to minute 26 through 38

the pocket dish looks like a very nice device , i noticed they paired with eMusic for download's which happens to be the group that will distribute ymc tracks from wdmg

i wonder if dish/sirius combine the pocket dish with paid live portable sirius music to due battle with the apple ipod they both say who needs apple

let me pose another question ? why is the riaa/major labels so against the new satrad devices just about to be launched.......because it can record/save content hardly.......its because they plan to lock down hot new content long term while offering a fair shake to the artist along with air time only on their semi exclusive platforms via the wdmg partnership

yes they could even lock out the old earthly radio broadcasters from this material if they chose to..........

lets not forget pay for play many talented new artist where screwed,earthly radio would never play the material good or bad

so what about all the mpthree player's that have built in am/fm tuners nobodys screaming about that........

the concept being put fourth is new completely, branded digital content promotion production sales across all platforms, from the artist to consumer directly via a single source (wdmg) primarly done as single tracks, music videos, studio sessions
while locking up long term content rights with the hotest new talent

the cc entertianment mentioned is chris christen entertainment not clear channel

heres the article from stevegordonlaw steve has indicated hes trying to set up a interview with larry namer and kevin wall ......

Understanding the New Platforms from a Legal Perspective (Part I)
[Legal]
One of the core areas of my business is licensing music for concert programs and music-based documentaries for television and DVD. Examples of recent projects include “On Stage At World Café Live!” (HDNet), “Elvis by the Presleys” (CBS & DVD), “And You Don’t Stop: 30 Years of Hip Hop” (VH1), and “Punk: Attitude” (IFC and DVD)”. But now every producer of music-based programming should start thinking about new digital “windows” for their shows. The time has come for long-form music video programs on digital media platforms including:

- Internet streaming
- Web downloading
- Cable VOD
- Mobile
- High-definition television (HDTV)

Since MTV style short-form music videos are now widely available on multiple platforms, digital and mobile providers perceive concert footage as a key to setting their services apart.

If a concert or music-based documentary producer is producing for a network, PBS, or a cable service, they should also be thinking of digital platforms as secondary windows in addition, or instead, of DVD. Furthermore, revenue streams from concert footage can be multiplied across multiple platforms. For instance, Network Live is an online venture consisting of AOL Music, the promoter AEG Live and XM Satellite Radio. Led by CEO Kevin Wall, executive producer of the Live 8 concerts, Network Live produces live programming from various AEG-owned venues and provides the footage to its partners AOL Music and XM Satellite Radio.

In this blog, I will discuss how producers of long form music programs can exploit their shows on streaming formats and pertinent legal issues. This will be the first of several blogs in a series. The future blogs in the series will deal with the other platforms listed above.

STREAMING PLATFORMS

As early as 2000, Sony Music was streaming live concerts online of “Live by Request” programs produced for A&E. I cleared the music rights, as well as making the deal with the streaming backend service. In the current landscape, AOLmusic.com recently streamed the Live 8 concerts and attracted a huge audience, offering huge momentum for the Network Live initiative. Elsewhere, Yahoo acquired the rights to former TV show “Pepsi Smash,” a WB summer concert series that was canceled on TV in 2005 in its second season. Yahoo integrated the show into its Yahoo Music portal, providing users with on-demand access to exclusive live performances. Both services invite artists to perform in their studios and offer the resulting footage as exclusive content. Others, including Clear Channel Radio, are also pushing in-studio performances online.

LEGAL ISSUES

So how does a producers of long form music programs deal with new digital platforms? The answer is by negotiating deals with artists for their performance, and music publishers for their songs that include digital video windows. These issues are same notwithstanding the particular digital platform. But the balance of this blog deals with principal legal issues in regard to streaming platforms.

Artists

Contracts between artists and independent producers (check last paragraph below when a record company is the producer) for long form concerts or music based documentaries should include streaming rights. (Short form music videos are generally produced by labels under a standard recording agreement which these days almost always will include broad electronic rights including streaming.) A comprehensive definition should be included that makes it clear that services such as Cinema Now are included. Although Cinema Now offers mostly movies, they also offer a wide diversity of concert videos (e.g., “English Bach Festival” to “U.K. Subs – Punk Can Take It”). Cinema Now's business model is to allow a consumer to download a program for a period of 24 hours for a fee from $3.99 for new arrivals and $2.99 for other titles. After the 24 hours the program disappears from your hard drive. This is sometimes referred to as a tethered download, which is really a form of streaming because you can't permanently download or own the program.

Producers will wish to get these potentially valuable rights on a buyout basis offering as little as possible up front. Their argument is that the concert is "promotional" for the artists CDs or live tours. This argument increasingly lacks force in comparison with the artist's prior success. Stars will want a royalty based on per-play fees or advertising revenues including "floors" that will preclude streaming unless the artists get paid certain minimum amounts. Of course the permutations are only limited by the imaginations of the lawyers and the client's tolerance for legal fees.

Artists should ask for Most Favored Nations treatment (the contract concept that you cannot provide more favorable terms to any other artist) if other artists appear in the concert. The producer if faced with this request should "carve out" platinum artists who may justifiably demand better terms than others.

Music Publishers

In negotiating rates for the right to use the songs in streaming services producers should emphasize the experimental nature of these new platforms and that audiences for streaming still generally have no where near TV Network popularity. They should be aiming to secure the use of the songs at the same rates that typically apply to cable TV. Those rates can be less than $1,000 per song for three to five years. If the stream emanates in a foreign country the producer may also ask to take advantage of foreign rates applicable to streaming which may be lower than U.S. rates. For instance certain territories may be subject to pre-negotiated fees payable to the owners of songs for streaming, downloading and mobile. Of course these distinctions are subtle and should be negotiated by an experienced professional.

Record Companies

When I was at Sony Music we would often produce concert shows for our artists (J Lo, Springsteen, Tony Bennett, etc.) Generally the record contract contains terms applicable to the artists' royalties for long form programs including broadcast and home video so a new negotiation of these terms is not necessary unless the artist demands a better deal than when they originally entered into the recording agreement. Standard agreements now include comprehensive provisions for income from digital distribution of the artist's music, including long form programming. The record companies have been trying to apply the artists normal royalty rate which may vary from 10% to 20% to sales and licenses of digital music and generally these will be even less for audiovisual programs. The Record companies also try secure discounted rates for use of songs that the artist has written. This is known as the "Controlled Composition" clause. Usually the label acquires a free license for short form videos containing songs that the artist has written. The labels will generally try to acquire in the recording agreement a free license for use of the artist's songs in long form music video programs as well, but more established artists will generally able to avoid this.

Blocking rights

Almost every record agreement requires that the artist make "records" exclusively for the label and the word "records" is defined very broadly as any recording of music including audiovisual recordings for distribution for home use. This covers CDs and DVDs. These exclusive rights are sometimes referred to as "blocking" rights because they block the artist and any third party from making and distributing that artist's CDs or DVDs. Standard recording contracts also generally include a clause that the artist cannot record more than two songs for TV show without its consent. But this provision is generally not enforced by the label because they generally perceive concert TV shows as promoting the artist and not interfering with record or DVD sales. For instance, when I was at Sony we would never complain if MTV produced an "Unplugged" concert with one of our artists, and the neither the artist nor MTV would ask for our consent. On the other hand, the labels would not accept any third party putting out a CD or DVD without their permission. They would send cease and desist letter against any thrid party distributor arguing that such distribution constituted "interference with contract." Streaming is in-between TV and DVD. The new standard recording agreement gives the label exclusive rights in any electronic delivery of their music including streaming. But since there are no permanent copies, it can be argued that streaming is like TV and neither the artist or streaming service should have to clear the labels' blocking rights. But the labels may perceive streaming as similar to home video because the consumer can access the program any time they wish thus displacing sales of their artist's DVDs.

Please anticipate the second blog in this series next week on mobile platforms for concert footage.

Posted by Steve Gordon, Attorney

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your comment -- I checked out the press release on City Sessions. It seems what Larry Namer (Pres. and founder of E!) seems to want to do, i.e., present local artists as a package for new platforms from various cities could be cool. In fact after reading the press release I invited him to be a guest for my radio show at myrealbroadcast.com. I already invited Kevin Wall from Network Live and we are setting a time for an interview with him.

check out this site look at whats listed as contact for management

The Official Celena Rae Web Site
... If you would like to contact Celena Rae's management, please email us at: trey@ymctv.com ...
www.celenarae.com/html/<WBR>contact_us.html -

Geoff's Latest info
This show will become a one hour special, so there will be a lot of songs on it and it will also be available on DVD to buy. •••SOMEPLACE LIKE NOWHERE EP RELEASE NEWS!!
www.geoffpearlman.com/<WBR>newlatest2.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts