Dish Network vs. DirecTV: The Money Race

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont think it's the only reason Directv is staying ahead, and Dish's commercials have always been so crappy.

Are 2nd qtr results out yet?

I think that the 2nd quarter will once again appear better for DISH...

However for the 3rd quarter we might see DIRECTV come back to the lead again.

That's my prediction anyways...

I agree. 3rd quarter will not look good for Dish. Disney negotiations and credits running out for equipment fees will push SOME people away.

I have a few friends that have went from cable to Directv, at my recommendation, and two that dropped Dish for Directv. Then there is are guys on this site.

I agree. 3rd quarter will not look good for Dish. Disney negotiations and credits running out for equipment fees will push SOME people away.

That's right. Second quarter results should still be good but I am not so sure about the 3rd quarter for the reasons mentioned above.

In regards to the article, Dish is going to have a tough time acquiring new customers because acquisition cost will continue to rise, the economy is still in bad shape and people are actually cutting for pay-TV.

Yes, Dish's commercials and advertising seem pretty bad. Also, didn't DirecTV have about a two year head start before Dish came about?

Yep looking at the quarters, none of what's going on now is going to be annouced this quarter due to the fact were in 4th quarter activity.

1st Quarter: October 1, 2009 - December 31, 2009
2nd Quarter: January 1, 2010 - March 31, 2010
3rd Quarter: April 1, 2010 - June 30, 2010
4th Quarter: July 1, 2010 - September 30, 2010

This is either going to buy dish time to fix their issues or its going to prolong the inevitable. :up Dont know about you, but my armchair quarterbacking has been spot on! I dont see any change from status quo either. 4th quarter is going to be really bad for dish......

It seems to me that directv's commercials have gone from being classy to the typical "The other guys are liars!" trench warfare. I'm not fond of it.

Other interesting point is that in lieu of advertising, directv could give all of their subscribers a hundred bucks a year in credits. I wonder what would do better for them...airing the "dish network lies!" ads or having 19M pretty happy customers recommending them to their friends.

Or better still, make it $100 a year for people who have subscribed more than 2 years, $200 a year for 5+ years and $400 a year for 10+ year subscribers and publish the credit schedule. That'd be a great way to keep customers from leaving and having to reacquire new ones. Still run a few print ads and a couple on tv just to stay in the game.

"Heres your subscriber credit for being a good customer. Thanks for being with us for so long. All we ask is that you tell your friends and neighbors about the good service and great features you've been enjoying!"

Considering I got free HD for 24 months ($120/yr), last month, and keep getting the HD xtra pack for free, I aint bitchin about freebies.

That is my thinking as well. Dish took on a lot of new subs this quarters. The first I have heard of people leaving has been recently. If there is a decline by Dish, it probably will not show up until Q3

Considering I got free HD for 24 months ($120/yr), last month, and keep getting the HD xtra pack for free, I aint bitchin about freebies.

I think it's funny how they make us feel like we're getting a deal. I really don't feel like HD should have cost extra in the first place.

It is a deal, you pay for that everywhere else, either in a upfront fee or rcvr fee. Channels are negotiating SD separately from HD, so the fee's are there for D*. Im not apologizing for them, but it's the truth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts