MRV and OnDemand

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dmadson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
appleton, wi
Just Got MRV'ing and wanted to run a cat 5 to my dvr, looks like i cant. I called Dtv and they said they have to come do it.

Can someone tell me what i really need.

DO NOT CONNECT AN ETHERNET CABLE TO YOUR DVR! If you have MRV via DECA you will lose MRV the second you plug in that cable.

As Poke said, you need a broadband Deca module. It's connected to your router and your SWiM splitter to provide high speed internet access to all receivers.

Just Got MRV'ing and wanted to run a cat 5 to my dvr, looks like i cant. I called Dtv and they said they have to come do it.

Can someone tell me what i really need.

Why cant you? You DONT need DECA. I have wired ethernet working just fine.

Why cant you? You DONT need DECA. I have wired ethernet working just fine.

You can try going in Wired but there no guarantee it will work the way it suppose to plus they will not support it as well. Most folks do not have a physical network drops behind all of their TV's. In the near futer their most likely will not be a need to have network cable runs in your house any way. I hope in the near future that Direct will put built in Wifi in their receivers and support things through wifi. Right Now the best thing with the DECA it eliminates having to have physicals network cable ran all over your house. It will pass everything through your coax so forth. The DECA just the best way to go and I think it's more reliable as well just my 2 cents. :)

Need some clarification here. Did you set up an unsupported Ethernet cable MRV or do you have a DirecTV installed RG6 cabled DECA MRV? If numebr 2, DECA, you needed to have them install the Internet kit too. It is a powered box that connects to your router via Ethernet cable on one end to a RG6 on the other into your DirecTV DECA cabling scheme. Basically just a bridge from RG6 to your router inputs so your receivers can connect to the Internet.

Hope that made sense.

Yeah I think thats what they call it the Internet kit which should be just the BroadBand DECA..

I have to respectfully disagree that DECA is really any more reliable than a home net option. Based on the number of issues I read about I could care less that its supported as most users nor installers know how it should work or be connected and it seems to have gottchas I can do without.

I think the only advantage to DECA is the running of cables; but other than that the home net works just as well, maybe a bit better, is easier to setup and maintain, and cheaper as most people already have what they need and CAT6e is cheap and very, very easy to run yourself. You really dont have to wall-fish drops and can still get a quality install you will not see out in the open.

My only real gripe is that DirecTV should tell customers that their is another quality option.

I don't think any one here is hyping either type one install over the other. I thought the question was about getting DECA to have Internet access. I have Cat5 throughout but have the DirecTV installed DECA. For that install to connect to the Internet you need the Internet Kit. My installer brought it and installed it for free. I had read you needed tell the CSR you wanted it so it would be added to the order. Many homes do not have Broadband and/or routers so the Internet Kit is not a given.

Don't know if makes a difference but seems logical to have your MRVing running on a dedicated circuit composed of RG6 while your network/Internet traffic is zooming about on Cat5/6.

That said, I would love to see a schematic as to how to set up MRV on a home network sans DECA.

I have to respectfully disagree that DECA is really any more reliable than a home net option. Based on the number of issues I read about I could care less that its supported as most users nor installers know how it should work or be connected and it seems to have gottchas I can do without.

I think the only advantage to DECA is the running of cables; but other than that the home net works just as well, maybe a bit better, is easier to setup and maintain, and cheaper as most people already have what they need and CAT6e is cheap and very, very easy to run yourself. You really dont have to wall-fish drops and can still get a quality install you will not see out in the open.

My only real gripe is that DirecTV should tell customers that their is another quality option.

I totally agree.

I think the only advantage to DECA is the running of cables; but other than that the home net works just as well, maybe a bit better, is easier to setup and maintain, and cheaper as most people already have what they need and CAT6e is cheap and very, very easy to run yourself. You really don't have to wall-fish drops and can still get a quality install you will not see out in the open.

It's not hard to install plus again most folks are not going to have a net connection every where they have a TV. Some will and if you do have a net connection at every tv then yes you can use those connections then. Again it all depends on your setup so if you have Cat6 ran in your house then good. But in the long run more and more things are going WiFi there will be less of a need to have Cat6 even ran to begin with. So it Will Always vary from folks homes but DECA is a simpler way to get things going. Again though most folks are not going to have Cat ran in their house unless its a new build and had it put on or they done it them selfs. I think in most cases folks will not have Cat6 every where in their home and DECA makes it where you really don't need too. :)

Actually I am advocating the ADDING/INSTALLING those CAT runs to not have to do DECA if you don't want too. I agree with you 1000% that most people don't have them now. What I am saying is that adding them yourself is both, cheap and easy to do DYI and it can be done without any big mess or hair-graying wall fishes and still be hidden an totally professional looking and that there is another option as good as the DECA solution regardless of having current CAT or not. As far as WiFi goes, current speeds are great for laptops and PDAs but I will stick with a wire for large files transfer, HQ audio and HQ video needs for a while at least.

I have a DECA (not sure if it is broadband or not). I ran ethernet from my router down into my basement and back up where my HD-DVR is. I disconnected the blue ethernet wire from the DECA unit and plugged in my ethernet in the top ethernet port of the HD-DVR. I connected the blue ethernet wire from the DECA back into the bottom ethernet port of the HD-DVR. I am able to record On demand from my PC and have access to Apps on my TV.

I wonder though have I disabled the automatic updating on the HD-DVR?
Also I couldn't get the PPV to record from my PC but was able to have tv shows and other non_PPV to record.

Ok so right now i have deca's hanging of my hd-dvr and hd boxs. I have a network port close to my multi switch, what do i need to do?

Actually I am advocating the ADDING/INSTALLING those CAT runs to not have to do DECA if you don't want too. I agree with you 1000% that most people don't have them now. What I am saying is that adding them yourself is both, cheap and easy to do DYI and it can be done without any big mess or hair-graying wall fishes and still be hidden an totally professional looking and that there is another option as good as the DECA solution regardless of having current CAT or not. As far as WiFi goes, current speeds are great for laptops and PDAs but I will stick with a wire for large files transfer, HQ audio and HQ video needs for a while at least.

Yeah it all depends on what the person wants to do but either way it should work fine. :)

Ok so right now i have deca's hanging of my hd-dvr and hd boxs. I have a network port close to my multi switch, what do i need to do?

You need a broadband DECA adapter. It consists of a DECA adapter that attaches via RG6 to your SWiM splitter, a power supply, and an ethernet cable that connects the adapter to your router. It gives you internet functionality at every receiver in the DECA network.

I don't know, I've used both. I had MRV on my home network with CAT5e home run to every room. It worked well, as long as there wasn't a lot of other traffic on my network. I went with DECA because it was cheap for me and I got a free H24 receiver out of the deal. I think it's faster, especially with trickplay. Not incredibly faster, but definitely noticeable. Plus, my other network traffic doesn't affect it. So....I like it better, especially when it comes to the lack of wiring to do...

Status
Please reply by conversation.