Dish Network vs Time Warner? ...

speedmaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
NY
We've been Dish Network customers for about 14 years and have generally been pretty happy (I think we have the 200 channel package). My only gripes are losing the MSG and SNY sports networks. We have the 922 DVR with built in Sling and absolutely love it. Great DVR.

But we're open to the idea of switching back to Time Warner if the channels we want are there and the price is right. Since we already use Time Warner for RoadRunner we though maybe we could save some money if we bundled services?

I've tried calling Time Warner a couple times to find out how good their DVRs are, and how they compare to the Dish 922, but I never really get a straight answer.

Unless the TW DVR is now as good as Dish's I probably don't want to switch, and might even move up to the Hopper DVR.

Anyone here have experience with both? Or words of wisdom?

For what it's worth, we currently have two HDTVs and might add a third this year.

Thanks VERY much in advance,
Chris

"Wisdom" and switching to Time Warner aren't really tangential things. Switch to Directv if the sports matter that much.

"Wisdom" and switching to Time Warner aren't really tangential things. Switch to Directv if the sports matter that much.
I second going to Directv instead of TWC. If you feel you must go to a cable provider, you should get a Tivo or HTPC w/cc tuners instead of using TWC dvrs (which generally suck).

I'm looking to do the same thing. Not getting Sabres games is becoming a deal breaker in my house. I've had Dish for 7 or so years now in addition to TWC basic service for Canadian channels and TWC Sports. I was able to get Sabres games via the QAM tuner and TWC putting the games on a special channel. That all went away this year so we are considering switching.

TWC has an intro price that almost doubles after the first year. DirecTv at least gives 2 years of discounts and their 200 channel package is pretty comparable (would lose NHL Network but gain NBC Sports). DirecTv charges a $3 sports fee for NY RSN customers but I would pay that if Dish did the same thing and gave us MSG.

Still haven't decided yet but I was very disappointed that Dish didn't get MSG back when they settled the AMC/Cablevision lawsuit (got FUSE backeven though that was the reason why Dish dropped MSG was because they HAD to take FUSE with it).

tw is hard to beat for internet service although I think the cost is high. I have had tw and have now been with dish for several years and I have to say dish beats tw hands down. the hd selection and the picture quality with dish is just plain outstanding.

I have TWC TV/phone/Internet bundle at my main house and Dish at my cottage. Overall, I find the Dish Network experience much better than TWC with respect to equipment (by far), the receiver software overall look and feel and speed of operation. The big downside with Dish is the lack of any NY State RSNs, as you noted.

If sports is a big deal for you then look elsewhere. I used to have DirecTV at the cottage and have significant line of sight problems that prevent me from receiving anything in HD or local channels. If not for the LOS problems I'd probably still be a DirecTV sub. When Dish put up the Eastern Arc my problems were solved. Then we lost MSG and SNY. I stick with Dish despite not having MSG because it provides good value for me, we'll laid out channel organization, great equipment and service flexibility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)