When did they turn on PBS in HD?!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

old corps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2005
Mid-Michigan
Just noticed tonight that my PBS stations are now in HD from Dish!:) I have 'em OTA but sure is nice to now have them via satellite. Flint, Michigan DMA.

Ed

PBS has been in HD for a year now here :) . In Nov. they lit up all the other locals in HD.

PBS has been in HD for a year now here :) . In Nov. they lit up all the other locals in HD.

but each market is different. Since you didnt list what market you're in it really has nothing to do with the topic ;)
The OP asked for when it was launched in Flint

but each market is different. Since you didnt list what market you're in it really has nothing to do with the topic ;)
The OP asked for when it was launched in Flint

Since it was already answered I didn't believe much more could be added to the topic :) . So I posted what Dish did here, admittedly not adding much to the topic, but then again your post pointing out that I didn't add to the topic didn't add much either ;) , and now my post responding to your post pointing out that my previous post didn't add to the topic doesn't seem to be adding much to the topic, so I guess we're just plain screwed! :p

we are missing one more from Chicago WYCC Channel 20 in Hd and the good news is they are in talks right now so maybe we should be seeing it real soon.Thanks

NYC has had two of the three PBS in HD for well quite some time now. Been waiting for the third. Not sure why the National PBS isn't in HD, probably has to do with retransmission consent or that most people do not qualify for it anymore.

I get my HD locals from 129, but our locals are uplinked to 61.5 and 129. After the launch of the new 61.5 sat, Dish added all the remaining HD locals to both sats at 129 and 61.5. See this uplink report.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/302574-1-15-2013-1-17am-Uplink-Activity-Report-116-changes

So, different markets are added at different times. But we still do not know what market "3HaloODST" is in. "earth" is a location for all of us or maybe just most of us.;)

It just seems like a dumb business decision to have some markets have locals in HD on 2 satellites and other markets to have no HD and then justify the no HD as not enough satellite capacity. Drop the 2 satellite markets to1 and Dish would have plenty of capacity to turn on the no HD markets.

We have four PBS channels on Dish in the SF/SJ/OAK DMA. The biggest one went HD about a year ago. Two were added in HD a few months later. The fourth is still SD, and will probably stay that way, as they were gobbled up by the first one, and I believe they just simulcast their programming.

That was the main reason I used an OTA tuner. Since then, one of the OTA Japanese programmers moved to a digital subchannel. So, I still need OTA.

I believe the law that allows superstations does not include HD signals, at least the HD signal is not addressed in the law, so it is not included.

Good news WYCC in Hd is coming before the 17th of this month.here is a email that i got just a little while ago.so watch the uplink reports for this channel coming to us.All i have is one more Station to go WCHU channel 61 Azteca America to go HD
Good news – WYCC should be available in HD on Dish Network by 2/17. I confirmed this with their General Manager today.

Thanks for your continued support of our station.

Regards,
Brian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)