dish network would like ideas on how to improve their product through the internet.

This pont is mute as dish was on the ball to get this done on each box to get around the laws but the FCC changed it one month after we got it on our boxes and now any provider can do it on the head end. Cash in the trash as this is the same time the 100% + Fees came into play.
The word is moot not mute. Moot | Define Moot at Dictionary.com Mute is to drop volume of a device to silence it.

Allow access via Sling or Remote Access on the same IP address. Right now I can't access unless I'm at work or somewhere else not in my own home. Say in my bedroom on a laptop.

Last year at Team Summit Dish announced they were going to have the ability to transfer recordings onto another device such as the iPad. Very similar to what they did with Archos devices. I remember being very excited about that but I have never heard anything since. Maybe they will talk about it again this year. I'll post on here if I find out anything(unless Scott beats me to it)

mdram said:
drop the high fees (really $17 for 1 box)
stop dropping channels
get more locals(distants do not count as locals)
stop nickle and dimeing your customers every chance you get

That 1 box covers 2 tvs w/ dvr. Probably got replied to by now. But thats my 2 cents on that.

jbrelish said:
Personally I was there was a way to access Dish through the internet. Let me explain. I am watching a sports event or 1 time event of any type, and a rainstorm wipes my signal. Or a snowstorm drops a ton and I now have 6 inches of snow in my new 1000.4 snowbowl which processes no signal and is on the roof. Power goes out(common here), etc. It would be nice to go into Dish and get a rebroadcast of that event.

Happens too many times and I know Dish isn't responsible for the weather. Just a wish I guess.

I wonder how much storage capacity this would require if this were to come to pass.

I wonder how much storage capacity this would require if this were to come to pass.
9.6 terabytes per 24 hours, of 200 channels.

If they re-compressed the info to be HD/HQ they could probably cut that in about half. And 2 gigs per hour is generous.. since some channels will yeild only SD and full HD 1 hour shows can be had for under 1.4 gig ... but ... you get the idea..

The features I miss the most that Dish lacks are:

1. The ability to network my DVRs to each other. I didn't need an external disk drive/ sling box/adapter/sling receiver... I could watch content from the DVRs in other rooms with ease. I could also transfer programs from one receiver to another via my inhouse network. The transfer speed was fast.

2. I could copy recorded programs to my PC for later viewing, usually while on long flights, camping, etc. Now I need high speed internet and sling boxes where as before I had a TiVo player loaded on my PC that enabled me to watch my copied programs which were not deleted off of my TiVo at home when I copied them to my PC. Oh, did I mentioned the transfer speed was fast...

Now ask me what I really want:
- I don't want to pay for more equipment to be able to do what I did when I had TiVo.
- I don't want additional layers of complex equipment or software.
- I don't want to be dependent on my DSL provider in order to watch my programs when I am away from home.
- I don't want to run more in house wiring.

I just got back from a d* convention in New Orleans and they showed us their new hr34 but there's one problem my vip922 already does everything that the new hr34 has to offer except havin 5 tuners which is over kill for me but I'm sure that some customers will enjoy it but there also include facebook, twitter, and YouTube into the hr34. There also changing there ui but my 922 is already there except 5 tuners!! Can u please drop the EXRTA FEES that come with it that's the only thing I can think of.
Really?

So your 922 does MRV?
Your 922 does DirecTV2PC?
Your 922 does 3D?
Your 922 does mediashare?
Your 922 does scoreguide?
Your 922 does interactive game mix channels?

Really?

So your 922 does MRV?
The 922 just like many other models of Dish receivers support home distribution. This means putting a cable from the back of the receiver into a T'd or spliter filled network of coax cable. Then your output from the box can be seen on every tv connected to the Coax. Thus pause while in one room, walk to the next turn on the tv, and it would have the same paused picture.

What this doesn't do, (yet) is put HD on that wire. But it does (with some receivers) put TWO completely different channels and DVR'd items on there at one time (DirecTV has a little * asterisk thingy saying only 1 at a time) In this case the user changes the Channel of their TV ... say channel 60 for Tuner 1's display, and channel 63 for Tuner 2's display.

There is also new receiver coming out, which will allow fully indpendant operation (not just the single use "MRV") from any location with an "adapter" box to perform live or dvr'd functional tv apart from the first TV set (where the sat receiver is) with the same Pause & Resume / relocated video. The difference is that whole home distribution is the same signal at all TV's ... the new technology will allow fully independent viewing options for each location (the new receiver supports 3 live tuners, unknown yet how many independant DVR'd items it will support but most likely 3 to match the tuners or 4 in the case of recording with three tuners and watching a 4th show from DVR).

Your 922 does DirecTV2PC?
You've probably not seen Dish's promotion of "TV Everywhere" The 922 is also known as the "Sling Loaded 922" ... Not only does the sling loaded 922 work inside your home network, but it also allows you access to the 922 from *outside* your home network. And not only can you watch items recorded on the DVR from the sling loaded 922 .. but you can watch LIVE Tv (any subscribed satellite channel) from a Sling loaded 922.

Your 922 does 3D?
Yes.. the 922 is 3d enabled!

Your 922 does mediashare?
Yes

Your 922 does scoreguide?
Don't know but there could be an app for that.

Your 922 does interactive game mix channels?
Not sure what this feature is, but possibly something that could be added as an app.

And most of the above features are also available on the 722k receiver if you add a 99 dollar Sling Adapter to the receiver. (note Dish is about to start a 99 dollar gift card rebate too, for new subs)

Last edited:
How about, just making sure the Dish website is correct and up to date. Examples - having the right channels listed for each package (still not right), having the correct info for EHD capacity on receivers(currently not up to date). There are many more, but those are ones that I know Dish has been informed of numerous times and they are STILL wrong on the site.

The 922 just like many other models of Dish receivers support home distribution. This means putting a cable from the back of the receiver into a T'd or spliter filled network of coax cable. Then your output from the box can be seen on every tv connected to the Coax. Thus pause while in one room, walk to the next turn on the tv, and it would have the same paused picture.

What this doesn't do, (yet) is put HD on that wire. But it does (with some receivers) put TWO completely different channels and DVR'd items on there at one time (DirecTV has a little * asterisk thingy saying only 1 at a time) In this case the user changes the Channel of their TV ... say channel 60 for Tuner 1's display, and channel 63 for Tuner 2's display.

There is also new receiver coming out, which will allow fully indpendant operation (not just the single use "MRV") from any location with an "adapter" box to perform live or dvr'd functional tv apart from the first TV set (where the sat receiver is) with the same Pause & Resume / relocated video. The difference is that whole home distribution is the same signal at all TV's ... the new technology will allow fully independent viewing options for each location (the new receiver supports 3 live tuners, unknown yet how many independant DVR'd items it will support but most likely 3 to match the tuners or 4 in the case of recording with three tuners and watching a 4th show from DVR).
That is not actually the same as MRV, but it is close.
You've probably not seen Dish's promotion of "TV Everywhere" The 922 is also known as the "Sling Loaded 922" ... Not only does the sling loaded 922 work inside your home network, but it also allows you access to the 922 from *outside* your home network. And not only can you watch items recorded on the DVR from the sling loaded 922 .. but you can watch LIVE Tv (any subscribed satellite channel) from a Sling loaded 922.
Which when implemented will be better than DirecTVs current DirecTV2PC, but it cannot do it yet.

As far as Sling, technically you can do that with any DVR, you just need to buy the Sling seperately
Yes.. the 922 is 3d enabled!
Enabled, yes. But does it do it currently? He stated he can do EVERYTHING on his 922 that can be done on an HRxx
Really? This is the first I have heard of this. You can view your photos and listen to music from your music library on your DVR through your home-network?
Don't know but there could be an app for that.
It is not APP based. They are simply channels. Since you brought up APPs, does the 922 have APPs? On the HRs you can install APPs and access them by hitting the right arrow key

That is not actually the same as MRV, but it is close.

Which when implemented will be better than DirecTVs current DirecTV2PC, but it cannot do it yet.

uhm... not sure what you mean by implemented, 922's have had Sling Technology enabled from the get go.

As far as Sling, technically you can do that with any DVR, you just need to buy the Sling seperately

<3D> Enabled, yes. But does it do it currently? He stated he can do EVERYTHING on his 922 that can be done on an HRxx
YES the 922 is 3d enabled, and YES it does currently do 3d.

Really? This is the first I have heard of this. You can view your photos and listen to music from your music library on your DVR through your home-network?

It is not APP based. They are simply channels. Since you brought up APPs, does the 922 have APPs? On the HRs you can install APPs and access them by hitting the right arrow key
Apps/channels ... etc ... the Media share option *is* there on a 922, personally I don't have the 922 but that is what the feature is supposed to be for...

As to the Scorecard/Game Mix channels, again not knowing what they are (no experience with the DirecTV receiver) I can't answer them .. if they would provide Overlays of game information .. I would think its an application that can be added if someone at Dish wanted to program them.

Many new IP enabled TV's have overlay apps ... like for the weather, news ... etc.. I would expect these types of apps to eventually show up on many IP Enabled video devices, to extend their useability. ... Which also means to say that yes, the 922 receiver has the ability to run "apps" and Dish did recently release an update with some apps in them. At odds with this, is that I've not seen any type of API or open documentation about programming for the 922 ... which of course means the development of any apps to run on the 922 is stagnate, stale, and for lack of better working sucks. But what closed loop company doesn't do the exact same thing? :)

With my 722k when it is connected with the ethernet connection and I select Dish Cinema or TV Shows or Networks I have to wait until the pictures and program information appear.I have AT&T DSL 6MB down 768k up can't get any plan faster.So I just disconnected my 722k from the internet.:mad:

When I made this post I had an SDTV running 480i Component hookups,now I have upgraded to an HDTV running 1080i HDMI hookups and all my internet and receiver problems have disappeared.I ordered the wireless adapter for $25+ta:mad:that includes shipping) from the Dish Network website so now my VIP722k/wMT2 is wireless.Thank You Dish Network!.:)

Pre New Install Quetions - 2) Package and 922 Receiver

CurrentTV in HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)