Dish Network’s Charlie Ergen: HBO Blackout Will Prompt ‘Game Of Thrones’ Piracy

Rumor was that General Instruments released the hack because sales of the vc2 was flat at the time.

The FTA manufactures where doing the same thing 8-10 years ago, writing illegal code to sell more boxes.

I think Viewsat got sued and it turned out they had a Korean guy living in San Francisco who’s sole job was to release new software every time dish found a way to shut it down.

Wow, I am now a free subscriber to HBO. I just found out that my sister gets HBO for $5 a month with her DIRECTV Now subscription. She kindly gave me her login and now I can watch the channel for free. I won't be watching Bill Maher or that dopey British guy who actually dared Trump to run for President. How'd that work for you, John Oliver?

Color me very happy this morning!

RE: The HBO Blackout.

Seeking Alpha had an interesting thought on AT&T this week.

The analyst goes through the details of how AT&T borrowed billions to buy Directv in an effort to control more delivery in an already crowded market (a commodity business)
And then delivery crashed as customers started cutting cords.

Then they had another eureka moment when they decided content is king and borrowed billions more to buy Time Warner.
Now they are discovering that content is a dog eat dog business with multiple players including Amazon and Netflix jumping into what has turned into another commodity business, leaving HBO as a legacy content provider that looks like it is getting to be long in the tooth.

It's going to be interesting to see if HBO has the muscle to keep the delivery businesses as customers.

Perhaps Dish is just the first of many that will walk away from onerous terms.

If Dish and one other large provider, such as Charter, walked, it would put a huge hurt on ATT to the point that they may end up backing off completely. One provider will not hurt too much. Two or more, will send a message.

Just read a couple of articles on the Dish HBO standoff and the conclusion is that they haven't been talking to each other for months. All they're doing is issuing statements blaming each other. I don't see HBO ever returning to Dish.
Seems to be the business method these days. Like how our government operates.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the SatelliteGuys app!

They may as well fight while they can. The subscription tv market is the Titanic. The new C Band demise. Same playbook.
1. Subscriber loss
2. Increase prices
3. Channels become unavailable to the
Platform.
4. More channels leave the platform.
5. More subscribers jump ship.
6. Satellite or cable provider makes
Announcement they will only honor
Existing subscriptions and will not
Renew.
7. Door shut
Remember NPS c band?
Now pizza dishes and cable are next.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: HipKat and reddice
The FTA manufactures where doing the same thing 8-10 years ago, writing illegal code to sell more boxes.

I think Viewsat got sued and it turned out they had a Korean guy living in San Francisco who’s sole job was to release new software every time dish found a way to shut it down.
Thedss guy. The FTA hack ruined it for the guys programming cards, any moron could by a FTA receiver and d/l software to it.
Just like DirecTV did back in the 90s.
Exactly, back then you could buy a receiver without activating it.
Both providers gained business because of the hack, even though many will disagree on this site.

Wow, I am now a free subscriber to HBO. I just found out that my sister gets HBO for $5 a month with her DIRECTV Now subscription. She kindly gave me her login and now I can watch the channel for free. I won't be watching Bill Maher or that dopey British guy who actually dared Trump to run for President. How'd that work for you, John Oliver?

Color me very happy this morning!

Seems like John Oliver got a serious improvement in job security. Oh, and if you are using your sister's HBO subscription to watch HBO Go, is a violation of paragraph 10 of the terms and conditions (and possibly others).

HBO GO®. It's HBO. Anywhere.®

EDIT: Not judging here -- lots of people do it. Just making sure you know you could cause your sister to lose her subscription if HBO decides to do anything about it.

My use of HBOGo is still valid. I still have a legal residence within my parents home, and I use theirs. I am guessing MitchyBoy does not have a legal residence within his sisters home, wild guess.

My use of HBOGo is still valid. I still have a legal residence within my parents home, and I use theirs. I am guessing MitchyBoy does not have a legal residence within his sisters home, wild guess.
Please post your proof of residence so that I can confirm what you are saying. A utility bill or rent receipt will be acceptable. I may have to turn you into the HBO authorities otherwise. :biggrin2

Well I just saw the episode of HBO Real Time with Bill Maher in it's entirety posted on free You Tube today. So I cancelled through the Amazon prime account my HBO subscription. The main show I keep HBO is for this show and if I can get it free why pay $15.00 plus tax each month?

I never ceases to amaze me how folks get so upset when some kid pirates a show and avoids paying for it.
Yet when Amazon makes Billions and pays not 1 red cent in taxes, or ATT uses their Monopoly to clean up on or when
.01% of our population now owns as much as the lower 90% no one seems to be bothered by it.
Seems to be something wrong with it.

I never ceases to amaze me how folks get so upset when some kid pirates a show and avoids paying for it.
Yet when Amazon makes Billions and pays not 1 red cent in taxes, or ATT uses their Monopoly to clean up on or when
.01% of our population now owns as much as the lower 90% no one seems to be bothered by it.
Seems to be something wrong with it.

If it were just the company that created the show that didn't get paid, I wouldn't have as big a problem with pirating. Unfortunately, it impacts the actual people who created the content as well. That is the double-edged sword of royalties/residuals. What also bothers me is the restrictive nature of content licensing. I have downloaded pirated content, but only when I could not get it another way, whether that is streaming or physical media. Why limit people's access to content at all? It is just plain stupid.

As for Amazon not paying any taxes and AT&T's monopoly and income inequality, heck yeah I am ticked about all that. However, the reasons that happens is largely public policy and outside the scope of this particular forum.

Reactions: Foxbat and dare2be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)