Dish Network’s Charlie Ergen: HBO Blackout Will Prompt ‘Game Of Thrones’ Piracy

Well I just saw the episode of HBO Real Time with Bill Maher in it's entirety posted on free You Tube today. So I cancelled through the Amazon prime account my HBO subscription. The main show I keep HBO is for this show and if I can get it free why pay $15.00 plus tax each month?

I see 6 clips posted by the official Real Time YouTube channel. Was it another YT user who posted the video? If so, it is possibly copyright infringement.

Reactions: PHXHoward
If Dish and one other large provider, such as Charter, walked, it would put a huge hurt on ATT to the point that they may end up backing off completely. One provider will not hurt too much. Two or more, will send a message.

Yeah that would work, but it would never happen as everyone is out there poaching disgruntled HBO customers who are not happy with Dish.

But if AT&T, Dish, Comcast and spectrum would sit down and show ESPN for example the door leaving the customer no options to jump ship we may see some better pricing.

The problem is provider A drops a channel, customers complain and switch to provider B.

Provider B of course welcomes all the new customers they got from them jumping ship from provider A

How’s that working for the Dodgers channel? Or Bien? It only takes 2 in this case, especially with ATTs extremely heavy debt burden.

How’s that working for the Dodgers channel? Or Bien? It only takes 2 in this case, especially with ATTs extremely heavy debt burden.

Yeah that would work, but it would never happen as everyone is out there poaching disgruntled HBO customers who are not happy with Dish.

But if AT&T, Dish, Comcast and spectrum would sit down and show ESPN for example the door leaving the customer no options to jump ship we may see some better pricing.

The problem is provider A drops a channel, customers complain and switch to provider B.

Provider B of course welcomes all the new customers they got from them jumping ship from provider A

Plus since streaming is an option for many now, they just sub to HBO via a stream. Roku's and Firesticks are nearly everywhere. I know of several that use them along with Dish, Direct, cable, etc.

I'm not even sure what channel getting dropped would make me change these days, with so much being available via streaming. It would be different if I didn't have good broadband for sure, so I understand people without broadband access switching because of it.

I'd say it is a better than 50% chance HBO comes back when the DOJ suit against AT&T is over, one way or another.
I'm with you, dude. I'm a good cloud DVR away from dropping Dish myself. With my 1 Gb/s Fiber internet, I don't see any reason to keep paying what I am now and TBH, I might not even need the DVR

Charlie is quite devilish, isn't he? Promoting the idea that people should start thieving HBO content. All very innocent, of course. Glad that I am no longer paying him a nickel of my hard-earned money!
Where was he promoting this idea again? Please provide valid links

Wow, I am now a free subscriber to HBO. I just found out that my sister gets HBO for $5 a month with her DIRECTV Now subscription. She kindly gave me her login and now I can watch the channel for free. I won't be watching Bill Maher or that dopey British guy who actually dared Trump to run for President. How'd that work for you, John Oliver?

Color me very happy this morning!
I wonder what DirecTV would think about you leeching off your sister's account? And you can take your political opinions to the PIT, if you think you could last there more than a day

I see 6 clips posted by the official Real Time YouTube channel. Was it another YT user who posted the video? If so, it is possibly copyright infringement.
You can normally find it the next day, but by Monday, any uploads are gone. I don't know how, but I cancelled HBO Go or Now or whatever it was months ago and I'm still watching Bill Maher and True Detective the next day. I go to Prime Video, then I see HBO in My Channels, click on the show, then Seasons and Episodes link and choose the newest episode.

This is the web view on my laptop, since I forgot to bring my Firestick to Columbus this trip :(

Capture.JPG

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I cancelled HBO many years ago because I didn't want a penny of my money going to that idiot Maher. Haven't missed it one bit.

That is fair. I feel the same way about other channels and their idiots and have culled them from my package. I wish I could avoid spending any money that goes towards sports as well.

That is fair. I feel the same way about other channels and their idiots and have culled them from my package. I wish I could avoid spending any money that goes towards sports as well.
Now if I could figure out how to only pay for sports and get rid of everything else. Give me ESPN, NBCSN, MLB, NHL, NBA an NFL along with locals and keep the rest. But I have to subscribe to AT200 at a minimum to get them.

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)