Dish Networks Fights Dennis Hopper Estate Over 'Hopper' Name

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
In 2012, two years after the Easy Rider actor died, the trustees registered "Hopper" as a trademark for a class of goods that included sunglasses, motorcycle helmets and all sorts of electronic devices. On Jan. 31, the Trademark Office put out a notice of publication on the mark.
This week, Dish Network objected to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

hollywoodreporter.com

I got to admit, the entire time I have had my Hopper I never once thought of Dennis Hopper.

If this one win then maybe I should file a lawsuit against those toilet paper people. :D

The "Estate" is going to learn that Dennis, beyond his art, his name means nothing in today's world in terms of branding. Watched Easy Rider a couple of months ago....what was I thinking back in high school? It's painful to watch now.

Good point. No one is going to confuse one for the other.
And it's "The Hopper" not Hopper.

If "Hopper" is a registered trade mark and Dish started using it afterwards, they may have the same troubles the World Wrestling Federation had with the World Wildlife Fund. WWF still means wrestling to me, but only the Pandas can use the WWF™®

The "Estate" is going to learn that Dennis, beyond his art, his name means nothing in today's world in terms of branding. Watched Easy Rider a couple of months ago....what was I thinking back in high school? It's painful to watch now.

I have to agree. Dennis Hopper has never crossed my mind when thinking about the "Hopper". It sounds like a ploy by lawyers to try to make some money.

I have to agree. Dennis Hopper has never crossed my mind when thinking about the "Hopper". It sounds like a ploy by lawyers to try to make some money.
Think about it. Why on earth would ANYONE associate Dennis with a Kangaroo?...unless the kangaroo had a huge mustache, wearing a floppy hat with beads around the brim, smoking a joint while on a chop bike.

free-kangaroo-jack-movie-the_172293.jpg

I'd think you'd want to FORGET them after that movie...

This crap reeks of that garbage Spike Lee pulled when TNN was in the process if changing its name to Spike TV. If you remember, the "men's channel" theme was implemented, but the name TNN was retained until the suit was basically thrown out.

If Rupert Murdoch can trade mark "Sky" then anything is possible.

If no one else was using the work Sky to sell a product, then he can do it. In this case Hopper is actively in use in a nationwide setting, Dish should get the trademark for satellite/TV viewing devices.

I got to admit, the entire time I have had my Hopper I never once thought of Dennis Hopper.

If this one win then maybe I should file a lawsuit against those toilet paper people. :D

I hear Greczkowski makes the finest two-ply on the market today! I'll look for it at Costco today.

I remember reading on TMZ the BS the family went through when it was time to cash in on Dennis' untimely death. They were vultures before he died and, as I remember, he revised his will to punish some who were over the top. What a greedy group. They were too busy counting their money instead of providing emotional support for the man who was near death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)