Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH NETWORK® EXTENDS HD LEADERSHIP, DELIVERS SLATE OF NINE NEW NATIONAL HD CHANNELS

Launch brings DISH Network’s national HD count to more than 160 channels

Englewood, Colo. – Feb. 11, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C., the fastest-growing pay-TV provider in America, today announced a substantial expansion of the largest high definition lineup in the U.S. with the introduction of nine new HD channels: Fox Soccer Channel HD, Sportsman HD, Hallmark Channel HD, IndiePlex HD and RetroPlex HD, which are only available on DISH Network, as well as truTV HD, E! HD, BBC America HD and SHOWTIME® (West) HD. The definitive HD leader, DISH Network now broadcasts more than 160 HD channels.
“DISH Network continues to extend its HD leadership with the launch of nine additional high-quality, sought-after HD channels,” said Charlie Ergen, President, Chairman and CEO of DISH Network. “We continue to deliver on our commitment to give our customers the breadth and depth of top HD programming they ask for at a value unmatched by any other pay-TV provider.”

E! HD is available in the America’s Top 120 Package. BBC America HD, Hallmark Channel HD and truTV HD are located in the America’s Top 200 Package; Fox Soccer Channel HD and Sportsman HD are offered in the America’s Top 250 Package; SHOWTIME (West) HD is located in the Showtime Unlimited Package; and IndiePlex HD and RetroPlex HD are in the PlatinumHD Package. Access to all HD channels requires a subscription to HD programming.

Qualified new DISH Network customers who sign up with a 24-month commitment receive $15 off for 12 months, free installation, a free HD DVR upgrade, free service on a second TV, and free HBO and Showtime premium channels for three months. For more information about DISH Network’s comprehensive HD lineup, visit Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.888.825.2557 or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Access to all HD channels requires a subscription to HD programming.
:rant: Not a peep regarding us mixed-arc losers.

Edited to add that Scott mentioned this very problem on his front page announcement.

Further edited to say that I don't really want to "upgrade" to an Eastern Arc dish because (1) I'd have to unhook all my switchgear in the attic, (2) lose all 4 outputs of my DP34 switch, (3) lose my mpeg-2 receiver option, and (4) take out all satellites at once during snowstorms or heavy rain. I've almost never seen all my mixed arc sats disappear at once, because their LOS is nearly 90 deg apart. I still own 2 mpeg-2 receivers, although they're not activated at the moment. We currently have two 612's and one 722 receiver connected via DPP33 switch.

Last edited:
Hallmark Channel HD? I just looked at today's programming schedule and everything is old re-runs. Just about everything on Hallmark is going to be up-converted on that channel since there will be very little original (if any) programming originally shot in HD.

That's because the release is targeted for new subs who would automatically get the EA or WA they qualify for...

Unfortunately for Charlie he didn't mention that in the release. You know, sort of....only our last 100 customers will get these channels. Really depends on how "new" new is. :)

When you make an argument you'd better hold your weak points out there like a lantern to defuse the opposition. Good advice for press releases too because I don't see how DirecTV (and other providers) won't jump on this. We'll see.

Hallmark Channel HD? I just looked at today's programming schedule and everything is old re-runs. Just about everything on Hallmark is going to be up-converted on that channel since there will be very little original (if any) programming originally shot in HD.

But it still looks much better than the SD channel.

DISH NETWORK® EXTENDS HD LEADERSHIP, DELIVERS SLATE OF NINE NEW NATIONAL HD CHANNELS

Launch brings DISH Network’s national HD count to more than 160 channels

Englewood, Colo. – Feb. 11, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C., the fastest-growing pay-TV provider in America, today announced a substantial expansion of the largest high definition lineup in the U.S. with the introduction of nine new HD channels: Fox Soccer Channel HD, Sportsman HD, Hallmark Channel HD, IndiePlex HD and RetroPlex HD, which are only available on DISH Network, as well as truTV HD, E! HD, BBC America HD and SHOWTIME® (West) HD. The definitive HD leader, DISH Network now broadcasts more than 160 HD channels.
“DISH Network continues to extend its HD leadership with the launch of nine additional high-quality, sought-after HD channels,” said Charlie Ergen, President, Chairman and CEO of DISH Network. “We continue to deliver on our commitment to give our customers the breadth and depth of top HD programming they ask for at a value unmatched by any other pay-TV provider.”

E! HD is available in the America’s Top 120 Package. BBC America HD, Hallmark Channel HD and truTV HD are located in the America’s Top 200 Package; Fox Soccer Channel HD and Sportsman HD are offered in the America’s Top 250 Package; SHOWTIME (West) HD is located in the Showtime Unlimited Package; and IndiePlex HD and RetroPlex HD are in the PlatinumHD Package. Access to all HD channels requires a subscription to HD programming.

Qualified new DISH Network customers who sign up with a 24-month commitment receive $15 off for 12 months, free installation, a free HD DVR upgrade, free service on a second TV, and free HBO and Showtime premium channels for three months. For more information about DISH Network’s comprehensive HD lineup, visit Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.888.825.2557 or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Hats off to Dish...Its nice to see these HD additions.

Im sure dish will work out ways to get those with sat 61.5 switched over.

It would be foolish to leave all those good paying subs without new HD..

Im sure it will be worked out...

BBCA HD - Yes, but...

Although it's great to finally have BBCA HD, a problem remains. For example, Top Gear (my favorite) is a one-hour program (+/- 3 or 4 minutes, a bit casual). But by the time BBCA runs it about twenty minutes have hit the floor of the digital cutting room to make room for commercials. In the original there is a coherence among the lunacy that is lost when a third of the program goes away.

A lot of old programming was shot and mastered on film. It may take a while, but some of this programming may come out in HD.

For example, "Hogan's Heroes" on HDNet, Flipper, Thunderbirds, and UFO and the old Voom Family, and Star Trek (TOS) remastered (and now on blu ray).

OK, I know..

I should have noted that I know the BBCA HD program editing is not the purview of E* but is the responsibility of BBCA, but I just wanted to point out what we are missing, whatever the source of the programming.

Are any of these avaiable to Dish Absolute?

I would put up another dish for 129 if I knew any would be available. My locals are on 61.5 so I have to keep one there.

Thanks

Steve

I have kinda a mixture. Dish 1000+ and 61.5. I can spot five birds but presently have 129 and 118 disconnected. Still have 110, 119, and 61.5 connected. Have to run some errands so I will did in to the issue later on. Thanks for the info TheKrell.

nooo dish filed to move another satellite to 61.5..i would suggest sitting tight for 30 days or so
Sitting tight might not do any good, as we dont have anything official stating that these channels will EVER be moved to 61.5.

I have tried urging Dish to have a statement ready about this issue before the channels were made availavle and up until this time they have said nothing other that they were looking into it.

If I hear anything I will post it.

The satellite may be moved, but I wouldn't count on the new HD showing up there.

Yea, I remember you mentioning you had heard that EA/WA might become mandatory in the future (what E15 or whatever that new 61.5 satellite is called would be used for is anyone's guess).

As for the satellite, of course, FCC hasn't even given its approval and there is no evidence that Dish plans to use it for new HD for 61.5ers. We tend to hang our hats on rumors around here but, frankly, I don't see the downside to moving to EA now if you can and want to stick with Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts