Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
[h=1]DISH’s New Hopper Transfers App Delivers DVR Recordings to iPad for Offline Viewing[/h]

• Hopper Transfers – Exclusive to Hopper with Sling – allows customers to move recorded television programs from DVR to iPad
  • No Internet Connection – Watch favorite programs on the go, with no need for an Internet connection
  • Free – App and functionality offered at no additional cost

[h=2]Category:[/h] Products and Services

Monday, January 7, 2013 4:00 pm MST

[h=2]Dateline:[/h] LAS VEGAS

EmailPDFPrintRSSShareThis

[h=2]Public Company Information:[/h] NASDAQ:
DISH

"For the first time, customers can truly enjoy their DISH service anytime, anywhere."

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) introduced the Hopper Transfers™ app, an exclusive feature for the new Hopper™ with Sling® Whole-Home HD DVR that lets customers move television recordings from the DVR to an iPad for viewing without an Internet connection.
“Hopper Transfers completes the TV Everywhere equation by giving DISH customers the ability to take their recorded television programs and watch them even when no Internet connection is available, such as on a plane,” said Vivek Khemka, vice president of Product Management at DISH. “For the first time, customers can truly enjoy their DISH service anytime, anywhere.”
With the Hopper Transfers app, customers can set up their Hopper with Sling to prepare television recordings for mobile viewing. Recordings are then transferred from Hopper to an iPad via the home’s Wi-Fi connection. Each mobile recording transferred features Digital Rights Management technology and is limited to one mobile transfer per recording. Once a recorded television program is finished encoding for mobile viewing, a 30-minute program takes approximately five minutes to move to an iPad.
Other features include:

• Ability to schedule transfers of single episodes or television series.
  • Parental locks that block or limit selected programming.
  • All the technology necessary to move television recordings from DVR to iPad. No additional cords or adapters required.
The Hopper Transfers feature builds upon DISH’s industry-leading TV Everywhere solutions, including the Hopper with Sling, the new DISH Anywhere app and the www.dishanywhere.com online portal. These products allow DISH subscribers to access their live TV and DVR television recordings on mobile devices over the Internet. Live mobile viewing is enabled using Sling technology and is now integrated into the new Hopper with Sling.
In conjunction with the release later this month of DISH’s new Hopper with Sling, the Hopper Transfers app will be available in Apple’s App Store.
For more information, visit www.dish.com.
For images, visit the DISH News Room http://about.dish.com/multimedia-gallery.

I'm guessing this applies to the "old" Hoppers with the Sling Adapter as well?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I suspect it's that quick because the Hopper w/Sling is downrezing the program for the iPad screen. Worse still, once transferred, the original recording will be deleted. Don't you just love DRM?

Well this is BS. No android love and only on the new Hopper 1.5. Sorry can't really call it a 2.0 for a transfer feature that should work for us with networked Hoppers and wireless router already.

Would like them to explain why no roll back to current Hoppers

The transfer feature us only for the new Hopper with Sling. :(

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

IMHO, the transcoding takes so much time on the new Hopper, they might as well backport it to other receivers. You queue up some programs and come back another day.

Almost sounds like they are using the internal sling chip to trans code the Dish programming to an iPad format. After reading the new press release about the new hopper I hope that this feature can be back ported to the old hopper.

But, it sounds like you can queue up a bunch of programs to be trans-coded and transfer to the iPad, just not something that happens on the spur of the moment.

IMHO, the transcoding takes so much time on the new Hopper, they might as well backport it to other receivers. You queue up some programs and come back another day.

You'd think that since this is a "Hopper 2-only" feature that it would include faster hardware transcoding...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

You'd think that since this is a "Hopper 2-only" feature that it would include faster hardware transcoding...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Scott has stated that the new Hopper is much faster and that is the reason why it's available on the older receivers. Sounds like it will take 5 minutes to transfer 30 minutes of video. That doesn't sound bad to me.

There is a difference between transcoding and transferring.

Transcoding the program is 1 to 1. So, if you have a 2 hour program, it is going to take the Hopper 2 hours to convert the program to an iPad format.

Transferring the program to your iPad, after it has been converted or transcoded, takes about 5 minutes for every 30 minutes of programming. So a 2 hour program would take about 20 minutes.

Edit:

So a 2 hour program, total time, is around 2 hours and 20 minutes before it is on your iPad.

Scott has stated that the new Hopper is much faster and that is the reason why it's available on the older receivers. Sounds like it will take 5 minutes to transfer 30 minutes of video. That doesn't sound bad to me.

The transfer time is pretty quick and you can prep the content for mobile via the receiver itself when setting up a timer or manually in the DVR menu and by doing that, you save a lot of time. This way you can set a timer and select the mobile prep option and then by the time its done recording and you come back to transfer it to the Ipad later it should be ready to go.

I must say this must totally suck for folks with first generation Hoppers and the fact that you cannot "transfer".

I wonder if Dish could release a Sling Adapter 2.0 that would handle the transcoding/conversion. Throw built in WiFi to round it out quite nicely :) And ... then allow the Sling 2.0 to be used on 722/K. I would pay for something like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)