DISH No Longer Allows Recording Certain PPVS . . .?

I know it's not Dish's call but the situation has been going on for two years at least. A whole lot has changed in two years, like streaming from Netflix, Amazon, and slew of others. Yet they (providers) still hang on to the NO RECORDING philosophy. Now it may not be Dish's call but they do carry a bit of clout. They could go to bat for their clients. Why would anybody want to pay $6 to watch a movie one time? Many need to watch half the movie in the AM and the second half in the AM. And what if everybody in the family can't all be available at the same time? Guess I'll rent it from Red Box for $2.

I would venture to guess that most do not see it your way, as far as reasons to record. DRM is still in affect for those that can be recorded, where it auto deleted 24 hours after playback begins. Sounds more like you're interested in VOD anyways.

I really only need to watch a movie 1 time. If I wanted to watch it more than once I would buy the DVD
Thats exactly the reason I don't archive on DVRs.
If I like it that much, I'll buy the Blu-ray or DVD.
That way I don't have to rely on a provider or Hardrive for my movie Library.
I've yet had an issue playing a 20 year old DVD.

I know it's not Dish's call but the situation has been going on for two years at least. A whole lot has changed in two years, like streaming from Netflix, Amazon, and slew of others. Yet they (providers) still hang on to the NO RECORDING philosophy. Now it may not be Dish's call but they do carry a bit of clout. They could go to bat for their clients. Why would anybody want to pay $6 to watch a movie one time? Many need to watch half the movie in the AM and the second half in the AM. And what if everybody in the family can't all be available at the same time? Guess I'll rent it from Red Box for $2.
I'm wondering what is so hard to understand about Pay Per View and On Demand. The term isn't Pay to Own.

Why would anybody want to pay $6 to watch a movie one time? Many need to watch half the movie in the AM and the second half in the AM. And what if everybody in the family can't all be available at the same time? Guess I'll rent it from Red Box for $2.

Well usually its $6 for 48 hours.
You can watch it more than once.
But Red Box is another option.
For people that actually have that option.

I would venture to guess that most do not see it your way, as far as reasons to record. DRM is still in affect for those that can be recorded, where it auto deleted 24 hours after playback begins. Sounds more like you're interested in VOD anyways.
Actually, PPVs do not auto-delete after they expire. You still have to manually delete them, or they keep taking up space on your hard drive, even though they are no longer watchable.

Actually, PPVs do not auto-delete after they expire. You still have to manually delete them, or they keep taking up space on your hard drive, even though they are no longer watchable.
They go away after a certain number of days. I order PPV all the time and never delete them when I am done.

They go away after a certain number of days. I order PPV all the time and never delete them when I am done.
Okay. Admittedly, I have never left one on the hard drive long enough to see if it would auto-delete. As soon as one is no longer watchable, I go ahead and delete it. What is the point of keeping it any longer than that?

Well one point is inviting someone over on Saturday to watch a movie that you found to be very good on Friday and would like to share the experience( If they allow a 48 hour window of course). Last night we were watching The Jungle Boy and with about 10 minutes left in the movie my Hopper jumped over and started recording something else and of course switched to that channel (another feature I hate). By the time I stopped the recording and switched back to the movie we had missed a climactic couple of minutes. If I was watching a recording I could have just rewound. I think having a 24 hour window is fine, just let me record it. Still must be watched during the same 24 hour period. 48 hours would be nice but I understand the 24 hour window. Now you can tell me that I'm in the minority with this complaint and yes I can go rent the movie from Red Box, but isn't the whole premise of any DVR to offer convenience? Isn't the marketing behind the Hopper vs the Genie based on features and convenience? If as you say, nobody really cares about recording a PPV movie then why bother with the No Recording restriction. Yespage, wanting to record a movie that goes away in 24 hours is hardly wanting to own it.

Reactions: TheKrell
Content owners, if they had their way, would allow no recording or DVR functionality at all. It all started way back in the VCR days and they fought against it tooth and nail ever since.

Reactions: ChadT41
On this site the last time we talked about PPV, someone suggested VidAngle....$2 buck, for 24 hours....

Who ever suggested it......Thank you....I love it!

On this site the last time we talked about PPV, someone suggested VidAngle....$2 buck, for 24 hours....

Who ever suggested it......Thank you....I love it!

I think you meant VidAngel.

Reactions: AZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts