Dish on 10' BUD anybody?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My 8.5 foot NQS (Made in Portland OR) dish from 1985 works okey at KU frequencies but not great even though a fiberglass dish, but I have no idea how smooth the tin is in the middle. I don't think they used screening. It was made in 1985 and is basically a C Band dish. It works at KU as I have dual C/KU but I lose KU more quickly on that than I do on the Dish reflector. However the Echostar birds have much more power than regular KU.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Will a regular KU LNBF pick up Dish channels with a big dish? I thought Dish was KA band?

Dish is DBS Ku which is different than the regular FSS Ku frequencies. The only FSS Ku that Dish uses that I know of is 118 but it's still different because most regular FSS uses linear polarization, Dish's 118 is circular polarization.

DirecTV is Ku on 101, 110 and 119 and Ka on 99 and 103.

I hear that. I lived in Pawling, NY, not far from you I think, back in the middle 60s. I was driving home from my job at IBM in Poughkeepsie during a blizzard. My 45 minute ride took 3 1/2 hours. I have lived in California since... If I want snow I go to the mountains.
I also live in California, since 1967. I have been to the snow at least a half dozen times already. Not all were intentional.
The snow has come to me several times even in San Diego.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Here's my 7.5' KTI from about 1995, still in use.

KTI 7_5 dish-1.jpg

10' Wineguard. Smaller than #2 pencil lead holes. C-Ku LNB. Wife's 3' 97 Ku Dish with Invacom QPH-031 lnb. For her amazing facts and ABN channels...
Great C and Ku band reception on sats from 55 degrees to 129 degrees. 10' dish was taken down from a old country grade school. Great find...A few hale bumps but works great. 3 more 10' dishes in basement plus a 7' dish. Very large actuator. Don't know the name but a neighbor had it on the 7' dish.

Last edited:
I hear that. I lived in Pawling, NY, not far from you I think, back in the middle 60s. I was driving home from my job at IBM in Poughkeepsie during a blizzard. My 45 minute ride took 3 1/2 hours. I have lived in California since... If I want snow I go to the mountains.
The ONLY thing I don't miss about being back home in Buffalo is winter. Thank God the misery only lasts about 2 - 3 months here with very little snow

Dish is DBS Ku which is different than the regular FSS Ku frequencies. The only FSS Ku that Dish uses that I know of is 118 but it's still different because most regular FSS uses linear polarization, Dish's 118 is circular polarization.

DirecTV is Ku on 101, 110 and 119 and Ka on 99 and 103.
They still use the FSS 121 for private business accounts but I'm not sure what the bands are on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)