Dish on 10' BUD anybody?

You could set 3 30" dishes up. You'll still get some rain fade but it will hang in there longer. Dish doesn't care what antenna you use as long as you pay for the service.

Been using 10' BUDs for 45 years ( legally ). Before Dish Network was ever heard of. Wondering what LNB to use. Maybe two dish pro LNBF or two QPH-031s.

I think about the best you would get is setting up three 1.2 Meter(4') dishes. Anything after that at Ku frequencies and you will start to get to the point of diminishing returns.
Even with a very large dish, in a heavy downpour or snow storm you will loose signal. Ku frequencies unlike C-Band frequencies are affected by rain, being that the wave length is so much shorter.

So, will going with larger dedicated dishes help? Yes, but 10' will not be any better than a 3-4 footer at Ku. Also if your C-band dish is that old, unless it is solid spun aluminum, it is most likely not Ku-Band compliant...ie. The holes in the mesh are too large to reflect Ku. So, the Ku frequencies will pass right through and not get properly reflected back to the feed-horn.

Has anybody tried to get legal Dish (eastern arc) on a 10' BUD?
Tired of loosing signal when it rains.
You shouldn't be losing signal on EA under a general rainfall. I've sat here watching mine during pretty heavy rains and normally only lose signal if it gets really fierce out, or starts to hail. Possibly your dish needs to be peaked? Bad LNBF, warped refelctor??

Although, a 10' dish WOULD be cool

Reactions: charlesrshell
Also if your C-band dish is that old, unless it is solid spun aluminum, it is most likely not Ku-Band compliant...ie. The holes in the mesh are too large to reflect Ku. So, the Ku frequencies will pass right through and not get properly reflected back to the feed-horn.
That really depends on the size of the mesh. If a pencil will fit through the holes you are correct. However, if it's a fine mesh like my KTI it will perform well for Ku. I've been using it, and still use it, for 20 years as both a C-band and Ku dish. A solid dish is better but a mesh reflector can work well if the mesh is fine enough (pencil test). :)

Correct. :) 45 years old is questionable but most dishes from late 70's early 80's failed the pencil test. :) I was going by the OPs number of 45.
Yes, I have two mesh 10 footers here that work well at Ku.

Back in the early '90s, I worked for a financial company that used real-time stock market data. We got streaming market transactions and news from a bird using a Ku band dish. The vendor provided a 3 foot dish and LNB. It was very susceptible to signal loss during bad weather, and the traders lost their **** whenever it went down. They told me to "fix it" and not worry about the cost.

After talking with a many satellite experts, the consensus was to buy a bigger dish. I bought a 6 meter heated fiberglass dish and mount. We had to get engineering study to make sure the roof would support the dish and the ton of cement blocks to hold it down. The dish had what looked like window screen embedded just under the gel coat of the fiberglass. Bloomberg, the data vendor, supplied the LNB.

The dish went in with no problems, and we were able to get it aimed pretty quickly. We were disappointed that the signal strength wasn't much higher than the smaller dish, so we had the installer come out and double check the geometry and tweak the aim. It didn't help much. Heavy rain and snow continued to interrupt the feed.

We never did a side by side comparison, because the small dish was located about 8 miles away. If the big dish provided any benefit, it was very small. I left the company shortly after that for a better job, and the big dish disappeared a couple of years later. I'd say it was considered a failed experiment.

Back in the early '90s, I worked for a financial company that used real-time stock market data. We got streaming market transactions and news from a bird using a Ku band dish. The vendor provided a 3 foot dish and LNB. It was very susceptible to signal loss during bad weather, and the traders lost their **** whenever it went down. They told me to "fix it" and not worry about the cost.

After talking with a many satellite experts, the consensus was to buy a bigger dish. I bought a 6 meter heated fiberglass dish and mount. We had to get engineering study to make sure the roof would support the dish and the ton of cement blocks to hold it down. The dish had what looked like window screen embedded just under the gel coat of the fiberglass. Bloomberg, the data vendor, supplied the LNB.

The dish went in with no problems, and we were able to get it aimed pretty quickly. We were disappointed that the signal strength wasn't much higher than the smaller dish, so we had the installer come out and double check the geometry and tweak the aim. It didn't help much. Heavy rain and snow continued to interrupt the feed.

We never did a side by side comparison, because the small dish was located about 8 miles away. If the big dish provided any benefit, it was very small. I left the company shortly after that for a better job, and the big dish disappeared a couple of years later. I'd say it was considered a failed experiment.
Fiberglass was the main fault of the experiment. Radio waves pass through the fiberglass so the window screen was imbedded to reflect the radio waves. As mentioned in an earlier reply the "pencil test" needed small enough holes to actually reflect the radio waves. The surface of that reflective layer also had to be smooth enough to actually concentrate the reflected radio waves at the focal point of that 20FT. dish...

Any pics of these classic dishes?

How's this...
dishes.jpg

WOW, nice, except for all that white stuff all over the place. And is that a dish I see from the dark side? :shh LOL

I took that pic this morning. You should have seen the snow here a couple of weeks ago. It was up to my, well you know. :)

That's a 12ft Paraclipse C/Ku, a 10ft Perfect 10 C/Ku, 3 DirecTV Slimlines, 1 Dish 1000.2 EA and an OTA.

I took that pic this morning. You should have seen the snow here a couple of weeks ago. It was up to my, well you know. :)

That's a 12ft Paraclipse C/Ku, a 10ft Perfect 10 C/Ku, 3 DirecTV Slimlines, 1 Dish 1000.2 EA and an OTA.
WOW, I hate the snow. Lived in Dover Delaware for eight years. It was a PITA cleaning off C5 aircraft.

Reactions: JSheridan
The older I get the more I don't like it. :)
I hear that. I lived in Pawling, NY, not far from you I think, back in the middle 60s. I was driving home from my job at IBM in Poughkeepsie during a blizzard. My 45 minute ride took 3 1/2 hours. I have lived in California since... If I want snow I go to the mountains.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)