Dish On-demand HD Picture Quality?

atc89

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Chicago area
Hi all, I posted this question on a couple of other sites, I'm a new Dish customer with one Hopper w/Sling and one Joey for about a month and a half now. I've noticed that when I download and watch an On-demand Movie or Tv Show the HD Picture Quality is not quite what I would call HD. Its alittle blurry and clouding around images. Its still very much watchable but when I had DirecTV and watch a On-demand HD Movie or Tv Show it was very crisp and high def..

Has anyone noticed this also?

I have a post here a few days old. What Im seeing is the quality of the download changes while I watch, its almost like adaptive streaming (Netflix) which makes no sense since its a file on the HDD.

I wont be renting anymore if thats the best they can do. It'll go slightly blurry (lose quality), then snap back to better quality. It's quite obvious.

Not all of the videos are stored on the local drive. When they stream them they are progressive. I've monitored when watching and full hd can require up to 15mbps for downstream speed, and more typical around 7mbps. Netflix seems to perform better.

Really, man that sucks. I thought they completely downloaded because when Id go into check on them it would say in yellow 5 to 6mbps, I figured that was the speed it was downloading the file at. I know now I wont be using that again then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts