Dish On Demand

spy178

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
New England
Will Dish ever have an On Demand service similar to Cable where you can go through and pick the shows you want to watch?

I see that D* has something similar in Beta form and was wondering if this would entice E* to get onboard with something similar. Thanks.

Why have VOD when you could have one of the best DVR's. Never miss anything if you set it to record.

Why have VOD when you could have one of the best DVR's. Never miss anything if you set it to record.

Yeah, IMO, not the same. What I like the most with OD is something like HBO/Starz etc. You can go through and pick what movie to watch without having to store them on your Hard Drive, even better would be an On Demand service that lets you record.

I think if your looking for something like that the cable forum is this way------->>>>.Never gonna see anything like that on either dish satellite company.

I think if your looking for something like that the cable forum is this way------->>>>.Never gonna see anything like that on either dish satellite company.

D* is currently Beta testing something exactly like this and is available to select subs. I can find the link if you'd like, but above is an incorrect statement.

Dish does have something like that with their dish online service. They have a bunch of movies you can download online. It is all PPV right now though. I am hoping they add free movies and tv shows and HD content in the future.

Satellite best serves large audiences with the same programming to all. It is impossible for satellite to send you a specific program at a specific time on demand due to bandwidth restraints and satellite being a one way communication while cable has the potential to be two way.

No, satelite will never be able to match cables ability to do VOD, WHO CARES - VOD IS A RIPOFF.

Now that I've said that, someone will probably come up with a way to do it.

Satellite best serves large audiences with the same programming to all. It is impossible for satellite to send you a specific program at a specific time on demand due to bandwidth restraints and satellite being a one way communication while cable has the potential to be two way.

No, satelite will never be able to match cables ability to do VOD, WHO CARES - VOD IS A RIPOFF.

Now that I've said that, someone will probably come up with a way to do it.

They have! Both D* and E* have VOD service (although at different levels now) using your internet connection.

I think I can answer your question. I asked this on one of the charlie chats, the answer for now is, very little. What they said is that what cable does is record it themselves and then stamp the words "On Demand". Dish said they where working on it but not to look to see it in the near future. Although they do have some on demand it is only limited to about 3 shows, usually from Discovery, TLC, NG, and HGTV. Hope that answers your question.:up+

By the way no internet service is needed for the current OD. It is available when you press DVR button and go to "I think" T.V Shows.

Last edited:
thanks, appreciate the info. I did some more digging on D* VOD service and it seems OK. I guess you have to full record a show to your DVR before you can watch it which some are saying, depending on the length of the movie/show, takes a while.

I just brought it up since I came over from COX and actually enjoyed their On Demand service. It was greate for all the HBO series and also for the concert.tv chanel where they have a bunch of different concerts that you can watch.

I got a network switch to hook up my xbox 360/hd-dvd and soon to be PS3 to the home network so I used an extra port for my 622. Man that VOD service still sucks - $2.99 for a bunch of old movies in SD? What?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)