Dish Online

TomD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Any word on ANY changes at all to Dish Online? I like having access to the extra content, but it's organized terribly. It would be nice to have a way to browse specific areas rather than have to browse through everything.

A while back Dish signed an agreement with a content provider that I was hoping would result in more content but I don't think I've noticed a change.

Lastly, anybody know why Dish doesn't offer some of the premium content such as HBO online like cable? Is it because they can't differentiate premium subscribers (although I can't believe that is a holdback).

I agree about how poorly the content is organized. It should be organized by network. I thought I saw several episodes of the Showtime drama The Tudors a few months back just as the new season was about to air. I think they do have a lot of the content there, but it is almost impossible to see it, find it, be aware of it because of the poor organization of DishONLINE. Yes, I've used the search, and it stinks as it will occasional miss titles. I learned this by searching a title I knew was in the list, but it never showed up on some searches.

I don't understand; if Dish is really serious about DishONLINE, why aren't they organizing it better or making improvements, just as what TomD stated. Dish seems to have forgotten it exists because they haven't done ANYTHING to improve or in any way change the experience. IMHO, it would be more popular with such changes.

I talked to Charlie about this at CES and while he didn't give me any real answers he did say that they would hopefully have something to show at Team Summit.

Dish is LOSING a lot of money on their Dish Online service because folks can't find what they want to watch (even though its there) and the prices are too high!

It would be great if they could team up with a third party like Netflix or CinemaNow who could handle the implementation of service and acquisition of content. I wonder how much flexibility there is in the Dish hardware currently out there to be able to overhaul the DishOnline system in the existing DVRs. I would think it would be possible. You look at all the great stuff being done with Samsung BluRayplayers, Tivo, etc. as far as accessing online movies, music and video and having this closed, pitiful system just makes me so frustrated.

The Dish ViP series should be able to handle internet streaming from almost any source. The issue is how much is Dish going to make off of it or can they do it themselves.

Up until now it has been themselves, and quite frankly the VOD experience that DISH Online uses SUCKS.

It would be nice if they had movies from premium channels free with a subscription to that channel like on cable... DishONLINE is not a selling point. It seems more like a flawed pay per view system than an on demand service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)