Dish or Direct TV ? which is better and why?

tworthen

Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
I'm a current AT&T U-verse customer and will be leaving as soon as my obligation is up at the end of March. So which Satellite provider is better? I live in San Diego, near the Mexican boarder.

Thanks
PS I'm a newbee to this forum so pardon if I've done something wrong.

Tom Worthen

1. Directv uses Ka band for some locals and for some HD. Ka band is more prone to rain interference. Dish uses all Ku band, no Ka.

2. Dish can record up to 2,000 hours on it's 2TB Hard drive. Directv only has a 1Tb. So you can only record half as much.

3. The hopper has primetime anytime with commercial skip. More here: http://www.dish.com/redirects/promotion/offer15/ Directv does not have this.

4. Dish has 24/7 telephone support, and live chat. Directv does not have 24/7 telephone support (only 24/7 for tech support, not general support), and no live chat.

1. Directv uses Ka band for some locals and for some HD. Ka band is more prone to rain interference. Dish uses all Ku band, no Ka.

2. Dish can record up to 2,000 hours on it's 2TB Hard drive. Directv only has a 1Tb. So you can only record half as much.

3. The hopper has primetime anytime with commercial skip. More here: http://www.dish.com/redirects/promotion/offer15/ Directv does not have this.

4. Dish has 24/7 telephone support, and live chat. Directv does not have 24/7 telephone support (only 24/7 for tech support, not general support), and no live chat.
Wow as far as more Rain fade prone, thats false.

Eastern Arc is the worst Dish I've ever owned as far as rain fade, and snow.

Directv also has 24/7 365 day a year customer service.
Their protection plan has no deductables like Dish networks $15 by the way.

Our customer care hours of operation are from 8:00 AM to 1 AM ET, daily. Technical support is still available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to assist with technical service issues.
In addition, as part of our commitment to providing you with options for how you interact with us, directv.com and our automated phone system - reachable at 1-800-531-5000 - are both available 24 hours a day to order movies and events, make payments, change programming, find troubleshooting help, and more

So what else do you want to do at 1-8 am, Move?

Directv also doesn't have a 3 box lease limit.

So not 100% true.

Tech aside, you need to make sure which one will have the programming you want. General rule of thumb....Sports lovers should go with Directv, Movie lovers to Dish.

Wow as far as more Rain fade prone, thats false.

Eastern Arc is the worst Dish I've ever owned as far as rain fade, and snow.

It all depends on your location, and how well the installer peaked the dish. I had to have the manager of the installer company come out and peak the dish, after the installer swore up and down it was "peaked". The manager was able to gain 10 extra signal points. Some installers do a half ass job peaking the dish, while others take time and get it perfect.

Regarding rain fade on the Ka band, this is snipped from Intelsat, a company that owns and operates a fleet of satellites.

A final consideration, and the one you hear most about, is rain fade. Atmospheric rain, snow or ice will absorb radio frequency signals above 11 GHz, and a Ka-band signal suffers more degradation than a Ku-band signal. This is a win for Ku if there is sufficient rain in the region.

The fact of the matter is, I lost local channel signal quite a bit during storms with Directv. Dish uses Ku band all the way. While it's by no means bulletproof, the chance of loosing local channel signal, or any channel on the Ka band is higher with Directv.

Having recently having had both, if I had to choose, I would say that the Directv is slightly more prone to rain fade than Dish.

However, having said that, it is not a big problem with either, and would in no way be a deciding factor for me when deciding between the two.

I currently have Dish, and all else being equal, I prefer the Hopper of the multi HR setup that I had. Programming for national channels is comparable, with D* having the edge in sports, E* in movie offerings.

PQ is pretty close on HD (E* has made an improvement with the Hopper, and IMO it is on par with D* offerings. On SD, E* wins hands down.

The deciding factor for my swap was new customer promos. I could get it as a new dish sub, whereas I could not as a current Directv sub. For you, you will be a new sub with either company, so that is a wash as well for the most part.

There is no "Better" between the two until you do your homework. Look carefully at the programming packages, and the cost. Read the threads here, that's what they are for otherwise we would be answering the same questions over and over. (Which do anyway I guess :) ) Sports isn't as big a difference as it once was, but Direct TV has 24HR HD for your local teams networks, while Dish broadcasts the games in HD most of the time, but in between games is not HD. Both are extremely reliable, more so than Cable. If you can't find specific questions answered you can bet someone here will have the answer. (or make one up.... just kidding...)

Dish Network all the way. I signed up with Directv a month ago and what a dissapointment. The Genie system is ok but I experienced many of the problems that are being reported in the Directv forum. They were not able to resolve the problem so they let me out of my contract. I went straight to Dish Network and got hooked up with the Hopper w/sling and 2 Joeys. Using the Genie system was like going back in time compared to the Hopper w/sling. I'm simply amazed with the difference in speed and it works. Don't go through the nightmare that I did, get Dish Network.

There is no "Better" between the two until you do your homework. Look carefully at the programming packages, and the cost.

exactly.
The OP says he is in San Diego. So if he is a Padres fan as example with Directv he will get FS San Diego....I dont think Dish carries it.
Directv carries Time Warner Sports (for the Lakers) yet Dish carries Pac12 network
Thats why you need to see what programming is on each provider and make sure if you're missing a channel its not one you really need

the OP lives in San Diego where rain doesnt happen much.....so this assumption would be like saying "oh if you get snow on the dish it will go out" and the person lives in Tampa, Florida

Dish Network all the way. I signed up with Directv a month ago and what a dissapointment. The Genie system is ok but I experienced many of the problems that are being reported in the Directv forum. They were not able to resolve the problem so they let me out of my contract. I went straight to Dish Network and got hooked up with the Hopper w/sling and 2 Joeys. Using the Genie system was like going back in time compared to the Hopper w/sling. I'm simply amazed with the difference in speed and it works. Don't go through the nightmare that I did, get Dish Network.

meanwhile there are lots of folks who have had no issues with Directv.

Hands down the Hopper w/sling is way faster then the Genie. You can't deny that. Had Directv techs out 3 different times and they could not fix the problems. They all said the issues are well known and there is no fix as of now. There is a reason the Genie system has won no awards. It's slow with many bugs.

Lots of talk about which is better or worse, but the reality ia that both services bring lots of good things to the table and both have their warts! Cost as a new customer with either will be pretty close, so it really should be which has most of what you want, mostmlikely both will have some things that you don't want.

I just switched from Direct to Dish and the only reason was I wanted Epix and Reelz HD. Nothing to soothe equipment, rain fade or anything else.

Hands down the Hopper w/sling is way faster then the Genie. You can't deny that. Had Directv techs out 3 different times and they could not fix the problems. They all said the issues are well known and there is no fix as of now. There is a reason the Genie system has won no awards. It's slow with many bugs.

the only issue you posted about was the 30 second slip on the clients...I guess since I do not have any of those I dont see that issue

And my HR34 works just fine for me. It isnt slow and doesnt have any bugs that I can see (and I've had it for a year when they DID have a lot of bugs)

the only issue you posted about was the 30 second slip on the clients...I guess since I do not have any of those I dont see that issue

And my HR34 works just fine for me. It isnt slow and doesnt have any bugs that I can see (and I've had it for a year when they DID have a lot of bugs)

I wish the clients worked like the HR34 did. Compared to the Hopper w/sling and Joeys the HR34 is a turtle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts