Hopper Updates

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Looking at upgrading to the Hopper but after reading so many stories about so many issues not so sure for now. Why is it that alot of people have diferent issues and not necessarily the same everywhere? There's issues with hard lockups, recording issues, signal problems and others. Is this all because of software issues or is the unit itself the headache? I know there are many out there that have no issues at all but there are many that do. I remember the issues people were having with the 622 when it first came out, but after awhile that seemed to go away. My question is this, if Dish knows about such issues that range from minor to major then will this all go away with some logical software updates?

The majority of all the issues you read on here have been minor. Anytime there are any major problem that can be fixed via a software download Dish has been rolling them out pretty quickly. There have been some know issued with installs that have the Node outside in the cold right now and that issue has been worked on as well. I wouldn't get too caught up with what you've read as far as problems. I'm sure you'll find more people that absolutely love the system than dislike it.

There's issues with hard lockups, recording issues, signal problems
Not for me. Only problem that might irritate me is occasionally losing recognition of EHD. Easily corrected with EHD power cycle.

I have the EHD problem sometimes but don't use it very often and I also lose signal when the temp gets below zero. I just need to swap out my Node to fix the cold issue though.

With the large HD size on the Hopper someone who doesn't record alot might not use the EHD as often. Also,silly question, but what is this "node" some have been referring to?

With the large HD size on the Hopper someone who doesn't record alot might not use the EHD as often. Also,silly question, but what is this "node" some have been referring to?

41y%2B9z1zOvL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

You also have to remember that people will come here to get help for problems or to complain about problems they are having. There are many more customers that have a Hopper that are happy with it that don't come on here.

The other from the node would go to one joey? So if you had two joeys then the node would be 2 in and 3 out?

No you uses splitters. If you get 2 hoppers you need a duo node that requires 3 in from sat. In that setup two out to hoppers in a home run and the other 2 ports out for joeys up to 4 I believe using splitters or taps.

In that setup two out to hoppers in a home run and the other 2 ports out for joeys up to 4 I believe using splitters or taps.
With 2 Hoppers you can have 6 Joey's (3/Hopper).

Also, I haven't had any issues with my Hopper (just an issue with my router not working with it correctly until Frontier replaced it with a newer one).