Dish or Direct TV

frog

Original poster
Jan 10, 2004
Hello Guys,

Have Dishnetwork now but am thinking of switching to Direct because of all the promblems with the 811 rec. Expecting to rec one in a day or two but am seriously thinking of sending it back. Any thoughts? Anyone have a 811 and not having problems?

I'm an existing Dish customer with Samsung OTA HDTV, I was thinking of getting the 811 with their HD package. After hearing all the bad things, I think I will go with DirectTV with the Samsung 160 receiver. I am very happy with my Samsung receiver now and don't anticipate any problem with the 160, I particularly want the DVI out. Magnolia TV has a promotion of the Samsung 160 and up to 3 other non-HD receivers for 399.00 installed with 1 yr commitment of DirectTV HD package. That's better than anything Dishnetwork will offer me, not to mention I think the Samsung is a superior receiver.

I called D* yesterday to see what they have that is comparable to E*'s HD package/receiver. Was told I would have to buy the receiver at $399, but was only for existing customers. At that price, I'll wait on the 811.

Only problem i have had with 811 is occasional freex up, to which a hard reset fixed it. This has happened 2-3x on about 4 weeks. other than that, all is well with my 811....good PQ (guide data sucks though....only goes out about 3 hours...supposed to be 2 days)

I have the 811 and even with the FEW problems it has, it sure beats $400 with D*.

Out of the 20+ problems noted with the 811, I probably have 5 of them.

I can live with all of them anyway, they are not major like it burns your house down or anything.

Get the 811 and save your $400!

I also have an 811. My only problems are guide only a couple of hours, recall from local channel back to satellite channel only works occasionally, and I've lost sound a couple of times in 4 weeks ( easy fix' change the channel ). No darkness issues, ota mapping issues, ect. Overall, very pleased.

Those are basically my only problems too.

I came from cable which didn't have a guide, so not much loss to me there, the recall isn't that big of deal, although I do want it fixed, and the sound loss is more annoying than a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts