DISH OTA antenna

So the white $29.99 tuner shown at the bottom of the air tv web page is identical to the Dish tuner costing $59.99 ?

Yes, Scott was told by Dish at Team Summit that the internals are the same. Many of us are using the $29.99 white air tv dual tuner with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I bought the Airtv tuner which failed after about 3 months. I set up a return with them and received the Dish tuner as a replacement. Go figure.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Peter Parker
Thank you. I'm going to give it a try.
FYI, I've had the white AirTV usb tuner for about a week. Took a day for the TV guide to sort itself out but it's working well with the outside OTA antenna I installed myself. Thanks again. Still have the local service enabled through the satellite but only plan to keep it until after the local TV channel repack happens.

Was surprised to have free antenna offered when I complained about losing 2 locals for 6 weeks. I'm in an area 300 miles from Portland OR that only gets OTA through a translator so most people here have cable or satellite. Will be curious to see how well it works when it's installed on 27th. BTW, while I've been with Dish for years I only have Flex pkg so I'm not a big ticket customer. Thanks Dish!

There must be several OTA channels available to you via the translator.

Was surprised to have free antenna offered when I complained about losing 2 locals for 6 weeks. I'm in an area 300 miles from Portland OR that only gets OTA through a translator so most people here have cable or satellite. Will be curious to see how well it works when it's installed on 27th. BTW, while I've been with Dish for years I only have Flex pkg so I'm not a big ticket customer. Thanks Dish!

There must be several OTA channels available to you via the translator.
Supposedly some are available (with a fee of $100 yr which is less than locals with Dish) but since so few people here have OTA antennas I can't find anyone to verify quality. Everyone I know has sat or cable (& has for years) so may not be reliable in bad weather. Will be interesting to see how powerful the antenna is.

Look at AntennaWeb.org It's what DISH used to decide to give me an antenna, and it's 100% accurate for me.

Supposedly some are available (with a fee of $100 yr which is less than locals with Dish) but since so few people here have OTA antennas I can't find anyone to verify quality. Everyone I know has sat or cable (& has for years) so may not be reliable in bad weather. Will be interesting to see how powerful the antenna is.

Look at AntennaWeb.org It's what DISH used to decide to give me an antenna, and it's 100% accurate for me.
Shows both blue & red going in 2 directions since there are several translators. La Grande is in a valley with high hills & lots of trees and if reception is poor I won't use it - there must be a reason people here don't have OTA antennas. At least it isn't costing me anything to try it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
When they installed mine for free, the deal was if I could not get all four networks then they wouldn't install it. So they tested it first.

Shows both blue & red going in 2 directions since there are several translators. La Grande is in a valley with high hills & lots of trees and if reception is poor I won't use it - there must be a reason people here don't have OTA antennas. At least it isn't costing me anything to try it.

Reactions: peggy97850
Supposedly some are available (with a fee of $100 yr which is less than locals with Dish) but since so few people here have OTA antennas I can't find anyone to verify quality.

I am curious how they enforce the $100 yearly fee if it is an OTA translator. Do they encrypt the signal and you need a box to decode the OTA signal?

Reactions: Bobby
I am curious how they enforce the $100 yearly fee if it is an OTA translator. Do they encrypt the signal and you need a box to decode the OTA signal?

I was thinking just that. I know that many years back Ukiah, CA had San Francisco translators that were encrypted and you needed a box to receive them. Later they opened them up and you could receive them for free...

Reactions: charlesrshell
FYI, I've had the white AirTV usb tuner for about a week. Took a day for the TV guide to sort itself out but it's working well with the outside OTA antenna I installed myself. Thanks again. Still have the local service enabled through the satellite but only plan to keep it until after the local TV channel repack happens.

No extra box required, but fee is added to yearly real estate tax if appraiser sees antenna.

Wow, I learn something new every day. Blue Mountain Translator District is a local government special district that operates the TV relays in Baker and Union counties, bringing content over-the-air from Boise and Portland to be viewed from an antenna. All property owners and tenants who view BMTD signals are charged $100 per year. They offer 20 HD channels.

Blue Mountain Translator District

That was the lazy techs' way of getting out of doing the hard work of mounting it outside and running new cable to the Hopper. We had guys pulling that stunt here, too
I had a tech at my home back to this July. He said that I could only have one local from the OTA on Prime Time Anytime, which I said no too. I wanted the OTA, and I was still going to keep my Dish Locals. Is this true? It was going to be mounted outdoors. When I go-to a Dr., I want a second opinion on subjects. What's your opinion?

I had a tech at my home back to this July. He said that I could only have one local from the OTA on Prime Time Anytime, which I said no too. I wanted the OTA, and I was still going to keep my Dish Locals. Is this true? It was going to be mounted outdoors. When I go-to a Dr., I want a second opinion on subjects. What's your opinion?
No OTA locals work on PTAT, but you CAN get OTA locals and keep Dish locals. I did that for 2 weeks testing the OTA before I dropped them

I have OTA and Dish satellite locals. As HipKat said they don't PTAT but they come up in the guide and you can watch/record them anytime. If you have a Hopper 3 you can actually set up your own version of PTAT for those OTA channels by simply setting up a continual recording of the four channels at prime hours, manually...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts