Dish outside the US

mbinetti

Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
NA
I am going to be upfront and say that I am using dish outside the US with a US billing address. It is absolutely a necessity for me to have my US programming. The question I have is if I hook my 722 up to the internet will I risk getting caught. I would like to take advantage of the services that require a broadband connection (ordering PPV, etc). Does anyone know if the systems of Dish are sophisticated enough to know I am downloading from outside the US? thanks

Depending on where you are it might not work for you outside the US. For example most of the DISH Network sgnal no longer reaches Mexico.

And yes they can tell that you are outside the US if you hook it up to broadband.

from what he's saying there are no signal issues from his location..

You could set up a conection between the receiver and some sort of bridge, router o firewall hardware/software configured to use a proxy or bounce conection that forwards all incoming/outgoing traffic from a US based server ,and dish would never know you're outside the us since the IP address would be from a us connection.

I use a Magic Jack...

If all you want is PPV then you can not beat it. $20 a year and you get a local ( to your billing address) phone number. I have called them several times and it works great. I also plug in the receivers occasionaly to dial 'home'.

Hope this helps
Steve

from what he's saying there are no signal issues from his location..

You could set up a conection between the receiver and some sort of bridge, router o firewall hardware/software configured to use a proxy or bounce conection that forwards all incoming/outgoing traffic from a US based server ,and dish would never know you're outside the us since the IP address would be from a us connection.

That is correct...the signal is not the issue. I just want to hook the 722 up to the internet. Sounds like I could be caught. But the proxy sounds promising. Can you give me some more information on how to do this? Will it slow down my downloads, surfing, etc? thanks

Use a VPN

Virtual network works - I do what you desire to do with a 722.

Google HideMyAss - good software for what you want.

I go wireless to my 722 (and wired to my 622).

Finnigan

Mbinetti

I sugest you use a VPN tunnel with a DD-WRT modified router. For the VPN tunnel use StrongVPN, they work flawlessly with DD-WRT routers. DD-WRT is a free downlodable firmware for a lot of home routers out there on the market example of these D-link, Netgear, Cisco ect. This software has the ability to establish PPTP or OpenVPN tunnels permanently with a VPN provider (Strong VPN recomended) through you home router. This way everything connected through the router will apear to be within the US, everything is encrypted and Dish or no one for that matter will ever know your location. Also there is a site that has information and sells you evreything done out of the box if you would like to know more about it. www.sabaitechnology.com The site owner is a very well informed guy and very helpful, he even answer calls all of the time. Hope this helps you.

Also the magic jack idea is a good one for the box reporting issue. Even though using a VPN server within your billing address will do the same. Strong VPN has a lot of servers to connect to within mayor US cities. This way it will take care of both issues at the same time, acces to the web for the box (DishOnline) and the reporting issue.

Also using a router to establish a conection to a VPN provider gives you a 99.99% reliability because you can put a keep alive option on the router and this will keep the connection alive to the VPN up all of the time. Also if it gets disconected, which rarely happens everything behind the router losses access to the internet and there is no chance you will give up your location. Also using a good router (Asus RT-N16) will not limit you bandwidth, with this router you will keep your exact same speed as if you were without the vpn tunnel. VPN packet processing takes some processing power to handle, so use a router with a fast CPU like the one I mention.

Yes DISH Network is here all the time. (And I should note I work for DISH Network as a contractor running the DISHSUPPORT.COM website for them.) :)

Therefore I can not condone or support you on this one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts