Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chewie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
California
Hello Gents
I am getting ready to paint my new dish, I am looking for ideas on which paint works the best and also looking for ideas on which lubricant to use on the polar mount pivot.
I read many articles and now I am all mest-up on what to use, any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Chewie :confused:

I find Rust-o-leum flat primer works best, but be sure that the paint is flat and not glossy. Glossy paint will reflect the heat of the sun into your LNBF and fry it.

As for grease, I'd probably use automotive lithium grease on a BUD.

Im curious why you would paint a NEW dish...?

The best lube, is Molybdenum Disulfide, commonly used as axel grease.
Look it up.
A good second choice is Lithium grease.

For a piece of machinery you want to operate out in the elements for 20 years, there is no third choice.

Hello Gents
Thanks for your input, Mr. Anole, is not a new dish, this dish is about 20 to 30 years old, it is new to me because I just got it a few months ago, I have a thread on it in this forum.
Regards.
Chewie

I painted mine a flat army camo green. Would prefer to have kept the white but it really stood out in the yard. If you want/need to camo it that's ok but if not stick to a lighter color so it doesn't heat up so bad in the sunshine. What ever you use make sure it is a flat non reflective paint.

my opinion on paints

Pictures of his Laux Beta dish:
http://www.satelliteguys.com/threads/300638-ID-solid-dish?p=3060935#post3060935

When painting there are two things to consider:
- the metal mount and bracketry
- the dish itself

I always use a wire wheel to get off all loose rust from the mount.
post #19 in this old thread has my preferences on rust inhibiting primers & paints:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/166575-AMCI-perf-on-AJAK-motor?p=1764717#post1764717

I don't know your dish. Are the panels stamped metal ?
Something that rusts, or aluminum?
If they're molded, that would suggest three different paint approaches.

One fellow refurbed his fiberglas ChannelMaster after 20 years being sandblasted in the desert.
Looked like a porky pine.
And now it is smooth and looks it new! ;)

Hello Gents
Thanks again for your information, I believe this dish is galvanized steel, there is no rust on it, if you take a look at the pictures posted by Mr. kodaz you can see the material on his dish.
I will use rust paint on the mount and pole and the dish ring.
as far as the paint for the dish, i read somewhere to use [FONT=&quot]enamel flat paint.
thanks again.
Regards.
Chewie[/FONT]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)