Dish "pay for 6 mo, get 6 mo free" scam?

Got that email also. I'd never fall for that type of scam, anyway :p . Good that they're warning folks, though.

Most companies sell mailing lists. Since there are so many companies involved, it is hard to say where the information came from. This is why you should always opt out of the "advertising partner" stuff in your privacy preferences. The bigger question is why, industry wide, these lists are opt-out instead of opt-in.

It's got nothing to do with knowing you're a Dish subscriber. They're somehow getting enough information on subscribers to get the channels turned on while they're on the phone trying to get the subscribers to pay. Sounds like a serious information leak to me.

It's got nothing to do with knowing you're a Dish subscriber. They're somehow getting enough information on subscribers to get the channels turned on while they're on the phone trying to get the subscribers to pay. Sounds like a serious information leak to me.

It could be something as simple as harvested Dish login/passwords from key loggers. They grab everything they can when on your computer, now someone has found a way to make the Dish account access valuable. They can log into the account while you are on the phone and add the "free programming".

...and remember, Dish's lack of security on their website which can be used to reset passwords by just knowing phone number and receiver#.

Last edited:
Green Dot Moneypak fraud

i got a call yesterday from the so called Dish agent who knew the exact amount of my monthly bill and offered me 6 months free dish. Catch...I have to buy the green dot card from any local retailer ( Walmart, CVS, Wallgreens etc) and prepay for the 6 month service . They would even throw in free channel for being a loyal customer and let me experience the free channel for one day.

Something about this did not feel right so I hung up on them. After further research found its a scam thats been going on for a while.

Anyone received similar calls?

Vino

Check your online account to make sure it hasn't been hacked (password changed). Dish's security is lacking and people can easily hack in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)