Dish Performance

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyinggreg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Columbus,OH
I am looking at getting into the whole FTA fun. One thing I would like to try to do is try to pull in some c-band along with ku. The problem is dish size. I have ben reading through here and have seen the forum about using a 120cm and a primestar dish. I understand the bigger dishes aka BUD don't have the problems of nearby sats bleeding over like the smaller dishes. The question I have is how do the primestar 40x30 compare to the 120cm dishes? Is there less bleed over because of the elliptical design? Also, how would a 90cm toroidal with a single lnb compare?

Good question, Cascade! Send me your 1.2m dish.....

I have the 40" Primestar and am getting some good results, I removed the ASC-421 C-Band LNBF and tried it on a 36" metal dish and the signal quality levels really dropped. I also noticed the focal point on the dish was WAY off for C-band. I put the LNBF right back on the 40" P* dish just in time to watch the late show on Anik F1 C-Band.

flyinggreg said:
Also, how would a 90cm toroidal with a single lnb compare?

As far as c-band reception or for KU alone?

For KU alone it should fair as well as any motorized dish of the same service area, but for costs, I can't see choosing this over the motorized version IMHO; guess it would just be a personal decision.

For any "headach-less" C-band, I would never recommend using any dish under 8' in size unless I undestood 100% going in that I was just trying to have some fun with this and that it will be more trouble trying to pull in everything listed on Lyngsat.

What I was thinking of doing was getting a 30x40 P* dish, motorizing it, and setting it up with 2 lnb's; 1 for Ku & the other for C. The reasoning for for the P* dish is because it's close to 1.2m wide and it sounds like you need a minimum of 1.2m to get any decent C-band. Also, it's elliptical. If memory serves me right (from my old avionics days) on an elliptical antenna, where it is wide than taller...you will receive more energy in the vertical plane than horizontal. This would make it more directional in azimuth...this would keep it from receiving bleed-over from other nearby sats, right?

What type of gain do you get off a P* antenna? With a .3dB C-band lnb will you get pretty good clarity?

But, another question is...being an ellipse, and looking at the definition of an ellipse; does this mean it has 2 prime focal points?

PSB said:
Good question, Cascade! Send me your 1.2m dish.....

I have the 40" Primestar and am getting some good results, I removed the ASC-421 C-Band LNBF and tried it on a 36" metal dish and the signal quality levels really dropped. I also noticed the focal point on the dish was WAY off for C-band. I put the LNBF right back on the 40" P* dish just in time to watch the late show on Anik F1 C-Band.
Would it be worth it to get an ASC 421 lnbf for C-Band if I've got a 36x26 P* dish? What kind of signal are you getting off F1?

I would say its worth it for the Anik F1 ASN channel alone! I get around 40% quality on my Satwork 3618 (always has very low signal quality).......PERFECT picture. Of course thats with a 40" dish.

But really its more of an experiment, getting loads of analog channels with various degrees of picture quality. It is a lot of fun!

Looking for a BIGGER (free) dish now : )

What's the degree of the C-Band ASC ? Also, would I need a special feed horn (forgive the ignorance, I'm new to the lnbf thing....use to have the BUD for C-Band in the 80's

Thanks to CASCADE for the motivation, I am VERY happy with what I can pick up C-band with this wee 40" P* dish and the ASC-421 C-Band LNBF!

sikma said:
Would it be worth it to get an ASC 421 lnbf for C-Band if I've got a 36x26 P* dish? What kind of signal are you getting off F1?
FWIW, I briefly tried this out tonight and the signal meter was all over the place. The best I saw was the quality meter spuraticly flash up to 40% or so quality with the numbers tumbling in the 20's.

We have a storm blowing in so that didn't help matters any. Ku side is work'n like a champ. I'll do some more playing with it by this weekend.

I'm using a 26x36 P* dish, ASC421 LNBF, and trying to hit some DVB with the CoolSat.

I have low expectations. If it works at all I'll be impressed :).

Status
Please reply by conversation.