DISH, Please Use Us to Test Software

Also, as others have pointed out, if they keep adding features before the old bugs are squashed, it gets harder to track things down.
As I have pointed out, most of the new features have been in the software for a long long time... you just couldn't see them. When a new feature comes to your receiver most of the time the software was there for a long long time... just new is an icon that you can see to use that feature. ;)

I think the Beta testers are probably doing a good job. It is at the other end where something is going on. As Scott said, it is strange that some of us don't get the bugs, it could be anything causing that. I wish there was a way to tell if most bugs are in Western/Eastern Arc, certain DMAs, certain xponders, and/or different Hopper/Joey hardware versions, etc, etc.

It doesn't really matter how long it has been in the receiver if only those with special privileges can access it.
Actually for most things the services are running in the background even if you are not able to use / access it.

Also don't forget they can monitor receivers from remote, so if they slow roll something out and see an issue on these random boxes they can hit the breaks.

The big issue I see are the bugs that are not happening the a majority of the customers... what makes those installs different and why are they having issues when the majority do not have those issues. Thats the $1,000,000 question.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Presuming they caught and reported it. I've been involved in testing and knew people who found problems and a) decided themselves that it "wasn't important" or b) didn't want to report "too many".
From what I understand, they are encouraged to test all features and apps, and to report every little bug they find, no matter how small. I hear they are also encouraged to offer general feedback and suggestions.

So, the reporting and collection of the data is there. Of course, what they do with it is up to them.

Scott did hit it on the head however, I can think of many times people reported a "bug" or problem that I never saw or in the end even though some had it, the vast majority did not. Right now the artifacts on what seems to be for a few channels seems to be showing for a handful of people on the boards on the same receivers I have, I see no problem.
But with all that said, JSheridan is correct, where are there better beta testers than here?
Didn't Scott also say that there already are?

I understood, even though it was written incorrectly. Sorry you don't understand that I was merely pointing out what a bad writer you are.

Here's the post that you didn't understand:

"Thanks Scott for the info.

In that case, you know who you are, PLEASE DO A BETTER JOB TESTING AND FIXING BEFORE the general release! :bow"

I was addressing the beta testers and the Dish software engineers that frequent these forums. I'm sorry you didn't understand that. Your post didn't add anything other than an attempt to nit pick. Thanks, but I'll pass on the lecture about grammar and writing, which is usually unappreciated and unwanted especially in a forum like this. If you don't like the way I write please feel free to press the ignore button.

You know... not even talking about the beta program I see people post their bug reports here after new software comes out. And for almost every bug report I see, I try to replicate the bug on my system. And I would say for about 95% of the reports I am unable to replicate them.

To me this means there has to be something else going on or something with those installs, which could be something in the cabling, taps, splitters, external USB devices, power issues, or something else going on which is helping to cause some of the issues some folks are seeing.

Is the software bug free? Hell no! But those bugs are ones we all have such as not being able to record off air sub channels. But many of these other problems a majority of people never have. I don't think they would catch those strange ones in the beta process because of some of the variables I have posted above.

One of the reason DISH decided to allow some SatelliteGuys members is because we are good at breaking things. And for some of you I have heard of some setups that I don't believe anyone has dreamed of before. :)
I propose that it's either due to different hardware revisions, different patterns of usage, or both. I don't think that cabling would cause a Hopper to randomly make recordings disappear only to show up in Search. I suppose cabling could be an issue with some bugs, but certainly not the bugs experienced here.

Reactions: oldengineer
As I have pointed out, most of the new features have been in the software for a long long time... you just couldn't see them. When a new feature comes to your receiver most of the time the software was there for a long long time... just new is an icon that you can see to use that feature. ;)
If the code is there but the icon to turn it on isn't available, odds are the "function" is off, not on. If it's off, you won't encounter bugs related to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Are the testers informed as to what is supposed to be fixed and what new features have been added? Or, are they just given the new release with no knowledge about what has changed, like us?
I doubt they operate in a "let's see if the testers find this new option" mode. They are most certainly given a list of a) new features / options to test and b) functions to test which Dish implemented fixes for. If they don't, well, that could explain quite a bit!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Is this the only mention of it ?

I think so, it's what I used. Had no clue that it even existed up until that thread, even though I had wished for more than two buffers in a previous post. Still don't know how the buffers are managed under Multiswap, though.

I think so, it's what I used. Had no clue that it even existed up until that thread, even though I had wished for more than two buffers in a previous post. Still don't know how the buffers are managed under Multiswap, though.

When you turn on multi-swap and press the swap button it brings up a side banner. It has the option to add more turners/channels. You can have a total of 4. After you have the 4 turners/channels in the side banner you can select which one to watch and still keep the live buffer. Then press swap, which brings go up side banner and select the one you want to watch. You can keep swaping between them without losing your buffers.

Reactions: BBCInc
When you turn on multi-swap and press the swap button it brings up a side banner. It has the option to add more turners/channels. You can have a total of 4. After you have the 4 turners/channels in the side banner you can select which one to watch and still keep the live buffer. Then press swap, which brings go up side banner and select the one you want to watch. You can keep swaping between them without losing your buffers.

Does it work? Any problems using it?

Just came back to Dish, have a few questions

Is the new Regular Joey available?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)