DISH, Please Use Us to Test Software

If you pause it stays paused up to 2 tuners. With more than 2 tuners or buffers it goes to Live TV when switching back and forth and won't stay paused where you left off.
It all sounds too confussing to me. What if someone on a Joey in another room starts changing channels on the same Hopper? Would that screw things up for the one using Multi-Swap on the same Hopper? We hardly watch live TV so I don't think we will use it that much.

Does it work? Any problems using it?

Overall I think it works very well. It lets you have more than 2 lives buffers. What I like best is it gives you the option to use swap with a SJ or Joey. There is a problem when you try and pause more than 2 turners. This has been reported by other members. I usually just use rewind when I switch to another buffer. For some reason I never really use pause much. I mostly use the swap when a commercial comes on. I watch a lot of live TV.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

What amazed me is that testing takes place for the new SW functionality only. However, no testing takes place to see if the new SW removes or changes existing features. That is what a DIRT agent told me. For example, the Theme search use to return results in a time sort. It now returns a result in A-Z sort which I find useless in deciding what I would like to watch next. The SW tests fine for the A-Z sort. But why it was switched from a time sort is not answered. Many of the SW complaints on this forum are feature changes or loss, not functionality complaints. It is like seeing a movie that has an inconsistency from one scene to the next. In one scene the glass is full. In the next it is half full

Reactions: Jim S.
What amazed me is that testing takes place for the new SW functionality only. However, no testing takes place to see if the new SW removes or changes existing features. That is what a DIRT agent told me.
Think about the logistics of that.... "We'd like you to test 'new feature X' and while you're doing that, check everything else to see if it broke anything else." Now, if while testing 'new feature X' you discover something else that's definitely impacted (turn off "X" and see if it still occurs), a tester had better report it.

Another feature complaint is unreadable ICONs for many people. To get larger font lists like on the 722 or the ability to choose larger ICONs is never forwarded to DISH engineers since it is not a functionality problem. What this forum needs is not just SW testing inputs , but the ability to get feature needs to the DISH SW engineers.

Maybe the beta testers have a way to make suggestions to the software engineers.... And, there are engineering types form Dish who actually read and, sometimes, respond on these forums....

Think about the logistics of that.... "We'd like you to test 'new feature X' and while you're doing that, check everything else to see if it broke anything else." Now, if while testing 'new feature X' you discover something else that's definitely impacted (turn off "X" and see if it still occurs), a tester had better report it.
In most companies SW testing( regressive testing) to make sure your new SW doesn't break the old SW features is mandatory before a new SW release is allowed. I taught SW Engineering for 25 years at Texas Tech Univ. and always emphasized regressive testing. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_testing .

Reactions: oldengineer
Regression tests by definition are a test of basic functionality that run after code modification is complete, not by individual feature testers. In the business case of Dish, I'm sure that priority is given to service availability over feature enhancements during regression testing.

Hope I didn't crap the thread, would like to see, and I think Dish needs to expand their pre-release testing. I just get tired of people claiming that Dish doesn't regression test when it's obvious that it wouldn't be in their best interests (or even possible) as a money making and publicly traded company to omit it.

I think most companies in fact do that. Cisco, Synposys, Cadence, etc would be out of business if they released stuff like Dish does.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Those companies have bugs that their customers complain loudly about as well.
And when you list a bug with them they acknowledge it and immediately give you a workaround or a patch and issue an update with a list of what was fixed and what is still outstanding and ETRs for critical issues and infinitum. What does Dish do?

Just came back to Dish, have a few questions

Is the new Regular Joey available?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)