Dish pointing frustration

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Totally frustrated

Original poster
Nov 27, 2016
Clayton, la
So I have Directv 18x20 3 LNB at a camp. Been using the dish for years and works perfectly. Dish was setup on a 1" pole driven in ground and used spacers, nails, shims etc to get it to 2" to fit the dish as we didn't have a 2" pipe. Our reception has always been close to 80%. Very year or so we have to adjust but always can find signal.

Recently we decided to do it right. So we cemented a 2" pipe and move the dish to our newly set and plumbed pipe. Pointed the dish with the same elevation, tit and azimuth as our neighbor 100 yes away. Plugged everything in...ZERO SIGNAL... have tried for two days and nothing. Please u derstanding. Dish working fine until we switched poles.... now nothing. ZERO... What am I missing?..

Just a thought here, is your neighbors mount plumb? If not, his settings are going to be wrong to you. I maybe repeating things you have tried and I apologize for that. Take a look at the dish point screen and see if you tilt and all match what the dish pointing tool is stating. That could be a start. Next I would sweep the sky with the recommended settings and if still nothing, try raising your elevation just a couple of degrees, then try sweeping again. if it is getting really high, then reset to recommended and lower a couple of degrees.

Just a thought, and if you tried this already, like I said I apologize for the repeat.

First make sure the pole is perfectly plumb.

Secondly both DirecTV and Dish Network Dish's are offset by 20 degrees.This means the apparent angle of the Dish is 20 degrees lower then the actual angle of the received signal. This means you may have installed the Dish in a place that seems to clear any obstacles but does not. I would suggest a plump bob or protractor to check that the received signal is not being obstructed by any obstacle.

John

:welcome to Satelliteguys Totally frustrated!

As mentioned, the pole should be plumb before you try to align the dish. There are apps that will help to locate the satellites you need to point to. Satellite AR is a good one and is free. Recheck the azimuth, elevation and skew settings in the receiver to be sure you have them correct on the dish. Be patient when making changes, it takes a couple of seconds for them to register.

First make sure the pole is perfectly plumb.

Secondly both DirecTV and Dish Network Dish's are offset by 20 degrees.This means the apparent angle of the Dish is 20 degrees lower then the actual angle of the received signal. This means you may have installed the Dish in a place that seems to clear any obstacles but does not. I would suggest a plump bob or protractor to check that the received signal is not being obstructed by any obstacle.

John

I had to read the OP question again when I was reading it. He is referring to the DirecTV dish only. I know it sounds like he is mentioning Dish service, but if you read it slowly, you will see. Took me a few times.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)