Dish Pointing Numbers From Receiver Way Off From What Installer Actually Set

Srummage1

Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
I have a dish 1000.4 dish and have been experiencing very low signal and loss of all channels except the locals. I live in Florence, SC I checked the pointing numbers from the receiver and they were AZ 237 EL 35 SK 130 the actual numbers on the dish were AZ 174 EL 50 SK 80 I checked an install manual I found on line and the numbers were the same as what was actually done on the dish. To make matters even more confusing I went to dish pointer.com and the numbers there were AZ 157.6 EL 45.7 SK -24.8degrees ( question how does skew of -24.8 translate to the skew numbers on the dish) my question is why the differences between the three sources and which should I use to fix the signal issues?

I pulled up dishpointer and got AZ 175.6 EL 49.5 SK 79.7 for Florence, SC. The numbers may be slightly different depending on your exact location. On dishpointer from the drop-down list scroll down to *** Multi-LNB *** and select 1000.4.

As for the receiver numbers, it's giving you the numbers for a Dish 500. The receiver doesn't have any numbers for the 1000 dishes.

I believe the azimuth 237 and el 35 would be for western arc. 3HaloODST's numbers of 175.6 49.5 79.7 should be correct for eastern arc. The skew of 79.7 indicates the "tilt" of the reflector. The eastern end would be lower than the west. 90 minus 79.7 gives a tilt of 10.3 degrees relative to the horizon.

I have a dish 1000.4 dish and have been experiencing very low signal and loss of all channels ...Off From What Installer Actually Set
Irregardless of the different numbers you're finding, have the installer fix it.

For the elevation, you may be reading it wrong. The indicator is the metal flat part, not the bolt. The fact that your azimuth is off by over 60º suggests something odd there.... Where did you get the 174º value ?

Irregardless of the different numbers you're finding, have the installer fix it.

For the elevation, you may be reading it wrong. The indicator is the metal flat part, not the bolt. The fact that your azimuth is off by over 60º suggests something odd there.... Where did you get the 174º value ?
Wait... What? The receiver numbers are for a Dish 500 on Western Arc. He has a 1000.4 on Eastern Arc. The receiver doesn't have readings for the 1000-series dishes.

Btw... Not to be a Grammar Nazi... But "irregardless" is a double-negative. I don't normally correct people, because it's a****e-ish, but that word just stands out like a sore thumb to me.

Thanks for all the help. I bit the bullet and used the azimuth cam fine adjuster and got the signal up to where it should be. 3halo your info about the numbers in the receiver not being for the 1000 series was most helpful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your dish isn't grossly misaligned. You have a degraded signal which means your dish just needs a slight tweak and not a major readjustment. Sighting down the LNB arm isn't an accurate way to determine azimuth. You'll see the LNB arm deviate from the pointed direction more with higher skew settings.

Just push the dish gently left then right, up then down and have someone watching the signal meter tell you which way it needs to go. Adjust it carefully for best signal.

I was wondering if it was pointed to one arc vs the other. Whether it's a D500 or D1000.x, if he were pointing at WA, he'd still be pointing at 237', right ?

Thanks for all the help. I bit the bullet and used the azimuth cam fine adjuster and got the signal up to where it should be. 3halo your info about the numbers in the receiver not being for the 1000 series was most helpful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you got it all sorted out!

I was wondering if it was pointed to one arc vs the other. Whether it's a D500 or D1000.x, if he were pointing at WA, he'd still be pointing at 237', right ?

Well, yes and no. The satellites are still in the same position, regardless of the dish used, however for multi-LNB dishes there must be compromise in order to get the best possible signal from all satellites. In order to do so, you must average the AZ, EL between the different satellites. Since the Dish 500 only pulls in two satellites, the average will be different from the Dish 1000 that pulls in three satellites. Also, skew will be slightly different as well, due to the difference in the LNB positions and AZ, EL between the two dishes.

Data on the receiver dish point screen is for WA D500 only, use the numbers in the manual that comes with your dish for correct aiming.