switch not reported on vip222k

nitehawk62

Original poster
May 7, 2014
United States
i have a dishpro 1000.4EA dish with a vip222k receiver . i am not sure when it happened but when i went to watch TV one day it reported not signal. i figured a wind storm knocked it out of alignment so i went to realign . i seemed to have a a strong signal according to the meter so i decided to do a check signal on the receiver and noticed that it no longer showed me the switch (1.4k) and of course everything else was blank. i decided to see if it would recognize the switch from my 1000.2 LNB but still no report. i presume that even though the LNB is not connected to the arm of the dish the receiver should still report that it see the switch. ... i have never seen this before and not sure if my problem is with the receiver (i own it) or is the problem with the dish and the built in Switch on the LNB any ideas before i call dish?

would like to add that when i do check switch i get 50 test and not the usual 38????

Last edited:
Run a check switch with nothing connected then save it. Before running the check switch unplug power for 10 sec.

If you haven't done it purchase the protection plan.

Do not think it is bad cables since i brought the LNB directly to the receiver and used new 2 ft cables to test with . so i gather it is the receiver and as far as the protection plan is concerned since i own it it would not be covered, would it. i did run the check switch as described with the same results. . does anyone no of a way i might be able to test the receiver.? i do not mind buying a newer one if need be since they are not to expensive but if it is not the receiver i would hate to waste the money

You shouldn't be seeing it run 38 tests at all.. That means no signal... Should be seeing 1 of 4. Check inside each fitting that is exposed to the weather, they may be corroded.. Your receiver sends out low voltage back thru the cable to power up the lnb.. I can test for this in a few different ways, but not real sure how to tell you to do it.. Sometimes if you take the cable coming out of the back of the receiver going back to the dish, and just kind of rub or strike the copper stinger(center conductor) against something metal, you'll see a small spark.. Though that doesn't always work and isn't real reliable for your situation.. Maybe another installer has a better idea to test for voltage?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I should rephrase that... I have a super sat buddy signal meter that I can check for voltage output with.. Along with a couple other things... I would think a standard volt meter would probably work...?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I know i have voltage. the cable lights up my meter and gives me signal. I do remember that when i first set up my dish that it ran 38 tests until i have the dish pionted proper at that time it only ran 4. but now with the new lnb and the old one it runs 50. still confused. i am going to try to find someone that has a dish and see if the reciever works there.

Ok so now that i unchecked the dish selection in the check switch i am back to 38 test. I connected an external switch and still the receiver sees no switch. Going to take it to a friend and connect it to a setup we know works. I am now pretty sure it is the receiver . To me the service plan is not worth the money seeing as an annual plan seems to cost more than a replacement receveiver. Will update once i do more test.

Ok so now that i unchecked the dish selection in the check switch i am back to 38 test. I connected an external switch and still the receiver sees no switch. Going to take it to a friend and connect it to a setup we know works. I am now pretty sure it is the receiver . To me the service plan is not worth the money seeing as an annual plan seems to cost more than a replacement receveiver. Will update once i do more test.
How is $28 more than a receiver and shipping. You must keep the service plan for 4 months then you can cancel without penalty. As my aunt used to say use your head for something besides a hat rack.

Sorry when I call to register for the plan I would have to cover both units I have as well they told me I have to do it for a year min. Plus I go around d the corner and pick one up for 89 $ get it tomorrow.. less hassle. For me not worth the plan... Nice manners btw

7 covers the account. It's not a per unit charge. And if they told you a year they were either lying or misinformed. You have to keep it for 120 days. So it would be $28 total. The issue with replacing the rcvr is if it's not the problem you may still end up having to have a tech come out.

Just have the rcvr replaced. There are scenarios where signal will not pass thru the satellite inputs. Either due to a defective input or a defective triplexer attached to the input. If you've tried to move the rcvr to a friends home and it is doing the same thing, it is clearly the rcvr, not cables, fittings, etc. The protection plan is $7 for the account and the minimum is four months. Dish will send you a rcvr, but the fee for the return shipping label is charged to your account. There are 222k rcvrs online at $50 and up. So it may be a wash just for you to order one online and not have to fool with the headache of remembering to call and cancel the protection plan.

this is an update to my situation... the receiver has been confirmed as having a blown circuit that detects the switch. verified both by dish as well as tried it on a setup that is known to work . anyway I was very lucky and was able to get a NEW 722k receiver for under 100.00 with dual analog tuner card optioned in. lucky me... have not had a chance to connect it yet but dish has verified with me that according to the numbers they asked for that it should be simple to activate over the internet (think i read that somewhere on line here as well ) any way once i get the chance to activate it this weekend will i still be able to record with this unit ? it will not be able to be connected to broadband or phone line since it is going in an RV

just got off the phone with Dish.. and got all answers to my questions , no need for a connection to the internet if i do not want the features offered but it will still record.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)