DISH Press Conference Notes

I wish I had more to share but this CES has been dull so far.

I consider the Hopper update to be an evolution not a revolution. But it's a positive step in the right direction.

We walked around to all the major booths and I was not impressed. Even all the Ultra HD sets did not impress me. I didn't think the pq was as good as what I saw demoed last year. In fact many if the displays you could see the pixels on the screen. It's 4k you should not see the pixels!.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Did dish have its keyboard remote out again or is that in the closet with the rest of abandoned ideas?

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

I really don't understand why everyone is so upset. It's just an improvement over the current receiver. If you are not impressed with the new features then why be bothered? No one said that anyone needed to upgrade to it.

As for people complaining about the upgrade fees, do you not remember the fees to upgrade to the first hopper when it came out. Not just the hopper either, think back to all new receivers that ever came out. It's always expensive to get the newest equipment.

Sometimes I find the responses here humorous. Everyone knows the history of Dish and what the prices are likely to be but somehow they act shocked. No need to get worked up, nothing earth shattering is happening.

Dish isn't a non profit organization.It works the same way with any electronic or software company.And to be fair,its getting harder to impress people these days,especially techies.

I would think that there would be a bit of 4k content become available through streaming online.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Hey Scott - I was getting ready to switch to DISH this week. My set up is Americas 250 with 2 hoppers and Sling adapter. Would you advise me to wait until after the 17th so I can get the new hoppers that include the sling etc. Also, would I be sacrificing a good price now for something that's going to cost a lot more after the 17th?

Thanks,

Snoozer

[/QUOTE]Thanks, I think I'll take you advise.[/QUOTE]

Scott

The new rate plan really throws a monkey wrench into my plans and I'm really confused now. Here's what they offered me today: AT250 $69.99 (-$30 for 12 mo) $10 DVR fee for the 2nd Hopper and $7 for 2nd Hopper. That's $56.99 for 1st 12 mo plus $99 for 2nd Hopper and they're offering the sling advantage for free. Can you give me any help with the following questions?

1. Do I wait and risk a substantial price increse that would wipe out any savings I could realize if I signed up before the 17th?

2. Would they even allow me to get a 2nd Hopper after the 17th and if so which model would it be and for what price?

3. If I had to get 2 different models would they even be able to "talk" to each other?

Thanks for you help

I remember last year how excited I was about the Hopper and all the features...this year I was excited but so far I am not excited about anything I have heard...while the new hopper 2013 sounds neat...I am just not that excited...I hope there is some surprises they have not announced yet but I am guessing I am wrong...

Regardless thanks to everyone for the updates and giving us the 411

Wasn't aware the Hopper 1's were $50 ( or free for some ) Looks like the updated features and built-in Sling is going to cost customers much more $$.
I finally networked up one of my 722s. I may just grab a Sling adapter for $50.

I got two hoppers 3 joeys a month ago. Cost me $50..x2...and dish gave me credits...making it free

Thought I posted this earlier....But..Via a Ces video from 8 months ago on scotts youtube...When will the orignial hopper be able to tag certin parts of a dvr recording...or have the keyboard on the other side of the remote. The nice facebook app as well..was awesome in that video. Those are all hopper 1....when we gonna see some of that??? )

Thought I posted this earlier....But..Via a Ces video from 8 months ago on scotts youtube...When will the orignial hopper be able to tag certin parts of a dvr recording...or have the keyboard on the other side of the remote. The nice facebook app as well..was awesome in that video. Those are all hopper 1....when we gonna see some of that??? )

Those were just concepts at the time. I haven't heard anything about them ever coming available yet. If they don't talk about it at CES then we may have to wait until May for Team Summit.

they should have continued to focus on the original hopper with improvements and reliability making it the ultimate media center. Why not make it like the smart hub on smart tvs, hundreds of apps and an internet browser, the keyboard remote, etc. The app selection sucks. No youtube, amazon, hulu plus, slacker radio, not even blockbuster on demand which they own. It could be an awesome piece of equipment, not just a great piece.

they should have continued to focus on the original hopper with improvements and reliability making it the ultimate media center. Why not make it like the smart hub on smart tvs, hundreds of apps and an internet browser, the keyboard remote, etc. The app selection sucks. No youtube, amazon, hulu plus, slacker radio, not even blockbuster on demand which they own. It could be an awesome piece of equipment, not just a great piece.

I agree but who says they won't.

Blockbuster on demand? Blockbuster on demand directly through blockbuster is basically a pay per view ordering system. The Hopper has a BB@Home on demand section with content from the channels included in the BB@Home package. Other movies like new releases and some older titles are available through the Blockbuster On Demand app but those same movies are available for order on the Hopper via On Demand or Pay Per View or VOD Ch.1/501.

Blockbuster on demand? Blockbuster on demand directly through blockbuster is basically a pay per view ordering system. The Hopper has a BB@Home on demand section with content from the channels included in the BB@Home package. Other movies like new releases and some older titles are available through the Blockbuster On Demand app but those same movies are available for order on the Hopper via On Demand or Pay Per View or VOD Ch.1/501.
they could improve upon it where you could access your blockbuster by mail queue to add titles and such right on your tv. Your watching tv and see a trailer for a movie that looks interesting then you could just instantly add it to the queue. Also the movies on blockbuster on demand are cheaper. I think its only $4.99 for new release HD movies and it also gives you the option to purchase for those who are interested. Just ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)