Dish Press Release Disguised as "News" by Newstrea

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Nick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Re: Your post in the Dish DVR/PVR forum www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2517
entitled "DISH Network First To Offer DVR That Can Record HDTV"

Please do not tout self-serving corporate press releases appearing in other venues as "news". It is misleading to do so. The Newstream blurb on Echostar is not a news article, it is a press release masquerading as news. Halloween is over.

It appears that Newstream.com is not the independent "news" organization it presents itself to be, but rather a poorly-disguised mouthpiece for commercial interests. Little more than a collection of corporate press releases and paid advertisements dressed up as "news".

In our zeal for information about new products and services, we must be vigilant to recognize and discount the hype, just as a hungry fish needs to be wary of the fisherman's bait. Are we so weakened by our hunger for information that we will swallow anything?

Who are the independent reviewers? Where are the testing labs? What sources we can trust to give us accurate and unbiased information?

If I wanted to bet big money on a football game should I go to one team's cheerleaders for a hot tip?

In order for satelliteguys.us to earn recognition as a reliable and trusted source of DBS fact, not fiction, it needs step back, cut through the marketing spooge and just present the facts.

Stop dancing to the EchoStar corporate polka band.

Just my .02

Most technology news items are really press releases. This is common practice. I've worked several places where we would send these out all the time. Then they would be printed as news.

I assume as much when I read them, unless the article has first hand reviews. Everybody submits this way and everybody prints them as news - its how the press works. Very few don't print press releases as news.

Re: Dish Press Release Disguised as "News" by News

Chill dude ...
Nick said:
In our zeal for information about new products and services, we must be vigilant to recognize and discount the hype, just as a hungry fish needs to be wary of the fisherman's bait. Are we so weakened by our hunger for information that we will swallow anything?
Nobody is forcing you to swallow. These press releases are a good first step toward learning about a product/service. Take them with plenty of salt. If one is too stupid to realize that they should put their paycheck in a trust fund and get a guardian to protect them.
Who are the independent reviewers? Where are the testing labs? What sources we can trust to give us accurate and unbiased information?
Who has one of these units to PROVIDE an independent review? Or should reviewers pan a new product or service sight unseen just to make you happy? Unbiased information comes when the product/service is released. If you can't deal with that, get out of the game.
Stop dancing to the EchoStar corporate polka band.
Those who constantly trash a company are just as bad. You show YOUR bias in this post. WHAT ARE YOU? A DirecTV retailer who wants to pan the competition?

Everyone has an agenda. SATGUYS is apparently to share information. Sometimes there is a lack of information on one side of an issue - it isn't censorship or bias causing that lack. When we get people to post user reports on the product it will be better. Unless people like it and then you will complain that everyone here is an E* hack...

JL

Just my .02
Mine too ... unless you wish to censor me.

News Stream is a service where complanies submit "Press releases" these releases are supposed to be used for a writer to pull information from for their own independent articles.

Authors are allowed to pull quotes, facts and figures for using in their publications.

I agree the newstream "press releases" are nothing more then ads, but so are 90% of any press releases issued. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts